Lelya 2 vs. Brocock Ranger XR

I am planning to get a small, lower power .22 for pesting at closer rangers or when high power just won’t do also I want a .22 for inexpensive plinking on targets. I used to have a first gen Lelya, and now have a Leshiy 2 (but the Leshiy is in .25 so I still want something lower power than it), so I have experience with Edgun and have been happy with them. The Edguns are solid and in my experience reliable. I have thought that one day I would be getting a Lelya 2 (or maybe a Lelya 3). But lately I have been looking at the Brocock Ranger XR. They are pretty different guns, of course, but both seem like they would fit the bill. What do you think? If you own a Leshiy 2 convenience me I should get the it. If you own a Ranger can you convenience me to get the Ranger?

Well I have the Ranger XR almost officially in 177 and I have owned a L2. I haven’t owned a Leyla but had a Taipan compact and I think you can compare the two. I would say compared to the Ranger the Leyla / Taipan is definitely a different creature and probably the Ranger would perform better and is designed at the lower power band where the Leyla / Taipan high power band.

Don't know anything about the Brocock, but I do like my Lelya 2 .

As you know, they are built VERY solid. If you drop it or smack it against a tree, there would be NOTHING to worry about.
You've seen the video with ED running over a Lelya 2 with his truck, then picking up and shooting at the same target, from before the truck, and still hitting center ! NOT many guns can you do that to.

I wouldn't hesitate for walking the bushes and trees, the EDgun line of guns would be my first choice, Lelya 2 or Matador (various lengths)

Mike

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Redtick12,
I've had both. Both are very accurate. Both are tough.
Totally different guns though. Lelya is a compact, wood stocked bullpup(with ping under your ear). Ranger is a tiny(pistol-sized) gun with an AR style stock and a tactical feel. Leyla has more power and air capacity. Ranger is smaller and slightly more refined(buttery smooth side cocking lever, better magazines, 1/2" threads for moderators, picrails everywhere for easy attachments, collapsable folding stock, etc...). Ranger has a transfer port adjuster to back down power quickly if needed. Hammerspring adjustment is more readily accessible by folding the stock. The Ranger is a much better "low power" choice because you can really "dial it down"(to sub 7 ft/lbs) nicely. I used it a lot for shooting rats and squirrels at close range(5 to 20 yards) in warehouses. I wasn't able to dial the Lelya down enough to use in there(pass-thrus, ricochets, and dents/holes through metal siding/roof).
Both are great in the field, backpack, truckgun, etc...
Good luck on your decision

Reactions: rsfrid and L.Leon
I have an L2 long in .22 and a Sniper XR in .177 I recently got. I can say the built quality on the Brocock won't disappoint you. I like the .177 so much that I'm tempted to get a Magnum XR in .22 to add to the pile but I have a bottle for the L2 coming so I'm going to sit on my hands.

The L2 is light and compact, my only gripe is that I blow through air on it so fast, so the bottle will help that a lot :). The power wheel on the Brocock is handy for a fast switch from heavy to medium pellets.

Well I ordered my Ranger XR today, I should have it sometime next week. I guess that is the end of my air gun buying, I now have a small low power gun, a couple medium power guns, a .25 slug gun, and a .30 high power. That covers all the bases so I never have to buy another airgun. I am completely satisfied now………..still wouldn’t mind Lelya 2, an American Air Arms Evol .22 mini, a Daystate Redwolf, and maybe some sort of big bore………….like I said I am totally satisfied now and never need to buy another airgun.

@L.Leon now that I am completely satisfied and never need to buy another airgun what airgun should I be planning on next?
Seems like you have a great, varied stable of guns... So you're set for a while. Am interested in how the Ranger XR fits in and compares with your other nice PCPs. Nothing is catching my eye at the present... But I know that it won't be bigger than the Atomic XR. I'm old and don't want to carry long guns anymore. 30 shots per fill (including misses) is plenty for my pesting applications.

My .22 Atomic XR, has become my primary sub 40 yard pester. Closest kill so far, chipmunk at 9 yards, furthest kill, chipmunk at 51 yards. I've been spoiled by the size/form factor, my Bantam and Compatto seem huge by comparison.
I absolutely love my Brk Ranger XR it is my #1 pesting weapon,

I like cylinder guns, so I went with the Concept Lite XR 22. The Brococks aside from the Ghost are all similar enough. I like the Concept because I can get the 25 fpe in stock form, but with the transfer port go down to lower power. The Brocock is a solid smooth operating rifle. Mine fell off my bench and landed half on dirt and half concrete and never had a poi shift. And the scope is what hit concrete as a secondary impact..

• Wow
Reactions: L.Leon
I like cylinder guns, so I went with the Concept Lite XR 22. The Brococks aside from the Ghost are all similar enough. I like the Concept because I can get the 25 fpe in stock form, but with the transfer port go down to lower power. The Brocock is a solid smooth operating rifle. Mine fell off my bench and landed half on dirt and half concrete and never had a poi shift. And the scope is what hit concrete as a secondary impact..
I dropped my Brk Commander on the kitchen floor (tile over concrete). I just had to align the scope cantilever rail again, as good as new.

Well I have the Ranger XR almost officially in 177 and I have owned a L2. I haven’t owned a Leyla but had a Taipan compact and I think you can compare the two. I would say compared to the Ranger the Leyla / Taipan is definitely a different creature and probably the Ranger would perform better and is designed at the lower power band where the Leyla / Taipan high power band.
I also have the .177 Ranger XR, and I concur that the platform is intended for lower power. The magical muzzle velocity to shooting the Ranger XR accurately is 700 FPS.

Because the Ranger is not a bullpups, one can mount a scope lower. This can be helpful for people who need a point-blank-range that is closer. That also matches the medium low power of the Ranger XR compared to the other alternatives mentioned.

Reactions: L.Leon