• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leica Rangemaster 2400-R

My Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC rangefinder wasn't exactly working out for me as well as I wanted. Often could not range out beyond 300 yards on a bright day and the beam angle was too wide making small animals hard to range as foreground or background would tend to dominate the reading, giving me different readings each time. Well, after reading many reviews online, I determined that the Leica Rangemaster 2400-R was the minimum rangefinder that would satisfy all my gas passer and powder burner ranging requirements. On my next visit to Scheels, I spotted one in the display case and checked it out. Compared it to a Leupold rangefinder that cost a bit less. The Leica was the clear winner in my opinion for several reasons. The Leica was slightly sharper and the image snapped into focus more distinctly. The Leica was more compact and could slide into a regular sized streetwear shirt pocket. My Bushnell and the Leupold needed a bigger shirt pocket although they fit in a coat pocket.

I did the exchange deed and walked out of the store with my new rangefinder and tested the Leica later that day. Ranging capability easily exceed by well over twice the distance in every instance I compared it to the Bushnell. The Leica was MUCH faster in ranging acquisition time. The Leica much more easily ranged small targets without foreground and background getting things confused. I actually did range a dry grassy hillside at 2405 yards on an overcast afternoon. The Bushnell might go 500 yards under the same condition. No need for these extreme ranges with an airgun, but my rangefinder has to do PB duties as well, and I shoot at mule deer at long distances in Montana.

Now for the clarity of the optics. When the Leica is well focused, it works about as well as my 10X Vortex binoculars at a PD town. I just decided to ditch the binoculars and take more load off my back. Also, I get an immediate range reading as I do not have to switch from binos to rangefinder and that gets me on target quicker. I do not have to futz around trying to eliminate the foreground reading as I do with the Bushnell, and that makes getting on target even quicker yet. The $550 price tag was almost what I paid for my BSA Lonestar .25 and over $100 more than I paid for my CZ 452 .22LR rifles. However, I am just crazy about it and all the rave reviews on the internet have proven to be true. As the Brits might say, "This is one very serious piece of kit".

Phil

I picked one up recently too and agree with everything you say. Ranging is near instant and unbelievably precise. I have no use for the Bluetooth and ballistic calculator enabled versions of their rangefinders since I only shoot airguns, so this one is perfect for me.

I've loved Leica since I bought some of their binoculars a couple of years ago - if you want your socks blown off optically speaking, get hold of some of those!

Well Macros, my first acquaintance with Leica was back in 1978 as I was a Navy photographer on USS Hunley (AS-31), a ballistic missile submarine tender. We had a Leica M2 Rangefinder camera in our camera inventory. The Nikon F and F2 got the most use among the other photographers, and they hardly ever picked up the Leica M2 as it was a rangefinder camera. However, I really like the M2 as it was the best built camera I ever laid hands on. The precision and toughness was amazing, and those Leitz lenses are something else. Beautiful images almost free of distortion and aberrations. It's literally a camera you could buy when young, use every day of your life, and pass it on to the grandkids.

Leica stuff is rather pricey, but if you want it and can afford it, you will only ever cry once.

Hey Beezer congrats on your latest purchase. Leica rangefinders are hard to beat, they’re compact an ergonomic with amazing clarity and the ability to read small objects at long distance that some of my previous brands weren’t capable of. Also I like you I ditched my binoculars during Deer archery season because the Leica 7x was perfect for me. 

I've been wanting a Leica rangefinder for the longest time and this thread finally pushed me over the edge to pick up one while I had the funds available. I just received my Leica Rangemaster 2800.COM about a week ago from Brownells. I have an older Leupold RX-600 which was my first rangefinder and it's about 12-15 years old. The Leupold is supposed to range to 600 yards on reflective objects but I've only managed to range to about 300-400 yards max. 

I've always hated the yellowish tint on the Leupold and it doesn't have the angle encoder built it for true horizontal range. The Leica is a night and day difference. The optical clarity is way better and the brightness is spectacular. I'm able to range smaller objects compared to the Leupold. The red illuminated readout display is daylight bright which I would say is almost as bright as my Aimpoint Micro T1. The illumination also automatically adjusts to the lighting conditions you are in fractions of a second. 

What I don't like about my Leica 2800.COM is the scanning mode. It takes awhile to get it into that mode. Also, I wish that the case had a pouch for a spare battery like my Leopold. Those are the only gripes with my Leica. Like the OP, my Leica will serve as binocular duty in a compact package. The farthest I've ranged with it so far is a little over 2400 yards at a building. So far, I've been very happy with mine. My old Leupold will serve as backup duty for the meantime. 

20210327_082307.1616806764.jpg

20210327_101540.1616806954.jpg

Leopold on the right. Leica on the left.

20210327_101638.1616807355.jpg

20210327_101919.1616807438.jpg

I don't plan to intentionally run the battery down but I'm the type of person that likes having spares of everything. Especially batteries. I have the mentality of "Two is one and one is none". I do carry an EDC sling bag daily and keep my rangefinder in it and I guess I could have a spare battery stored inside one of the pockets but I would still like it if they had a pocket sewn into the Leica case. I already have an aftermarket rangefinder case added in my Amazon cart so that should fix the problem. I just wish it would say Leica on it. That's just me.