• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lefty Kid - QB78 or Diana Chaser?

N8

Nov 11, 2017
NC
Just started to look around for a rifle, with my lefty son in mind. Dad's wish list is two stage trigger, peep sights, and CO2. Neither the QB78 or the Chaser come with peeps. I might consider an reflex or some other sight if it's absolutely dead simple (reflex maybe?) I like the idea that the Chaser already has a left handed bolt. There's a couple of rear peeps I've found but I'm not sure about front sight height compatibility I'm leaning towards 22 just to avoid BB's finding there way into a 177 pellet gun - my Umarex Commander is BB. (For now this would only be under direct supervision, he's just 6). I also like that the Diana is suppressed.

But I can't help but wonder if the Beeman isn't a better gun. And how do the triggers compare? Any other thoughts on the two for a friendly as possible introduction to shooting with dad?

One thing you might consider regarding the 2400KT is that you can fit it with an adjustable AR style stock. To me that makes a lot of sense for a growing kido. 

I don't have any personal experience with either the Diana or Beeman but if the 2400KT was off the table and it was a choice between the Diana and Beeman I know that I'd choose the Diana. One, it appears to be very similar to a 2400KT which I have and really like and I'm probably more than just a little biased about. Two, it's a repeater. That's actually probably the thing that sells me the most on the Chaser. I will say that I personally like the looks of a 2400KT over the Diana Chaser (my opinion, others may disagree and that's fine) and since I have one with a Williams peep sight I can say that I do know that the peep sight works with the Crosman muzzle break with front post sight. I too prefer the peep sight on my rifles. I can't attest to how they work with the Chaser front sight. 

I have two daughters myself, the oldest being only two years old. So even though I have several years to go yet before I'll be putting either one of them behind a gun I'm already considering which air gun will be the gun I'll choose to introduce my daughters to shooting. For me the 2400KT with adjustable AR stock is in high consideration. Again the adjustability of the AR stock just makes a lot of sense to me. Plus it also allows for ol' dad 😉 to use it just to be able to "show" them how it's done right!😉😉

Thanks - can you tell me 1) how long is the breech block on the Chaser (trying to figure out what can mount there without blocking the stormrider magazine), and 2) how tall is the front sight?

Stormrider and chaser breech are similar except for the bolt placement. I have the air varmint from MRODAIR and using the mags for the chaser with no problem. Can't tell you the front sight ht for I filed it down after these pics
1554515536_9185334255ca80650af4d72.83012231_LChaser1.jpg
...can't shoot my AG's without scope, blind as a bat with open sights.
1554515224_18047395585ca805188669f8.01863541_ChaserS.jpg

Reactions: Imaposer
I have two daughters myself, the oldest being only two years old. So even though I have several years to go yet before I'll be putting either one of them behind a gun I'm already considering which air gun will be the gun I'll choose to introduce my daughters to shooting.

Years ago I was shooting a lot more firearms. I bought a youth 22lr for "my son" probably 20 years ago. I finally had a kid 6 years ago. And it turns out he's extremely left handed. He's not quite as dominantly left handed as I am right handed but he does have an extreme bias for using his left hand - to the point that he won't hold a guitar right handed even when it's obviously wrong (cutaways), and he doesn't like that you're supposed to use your right hand for saluting, etc.. in scouts (which we just started) - so, I think if there's a kid who needs a left hand breech, it's him.

I'll definitely look into what it takes to put a telestock on it once it arrives.

I'm a lefty and I have the Chaser carbine kit and love it. Can use it as a pistol or rifle. Accurcy is quite good and the trigger is pretty decent. I do wish the LDC was on the pistol barrel also and not just the rifle barrel as it works pretty well.

Mine use to only have the ldc on the long barrel...I found out i can use my qb78 slip on ldc on the short barrel threaded tip without removing the thread protector. Ldc that came with the chaser is much more effective so i decided on removing the long barrel then inserting an allen key in the barrel transfer port hole and using a channel lock pliers and used a piece of leather on the ldc, was surprised turn it with a bit of elbow grease. Wire brushed the thread and used an o ring pick to clean up the red loctite off the ldc thread.

Slight change of plans. The Williams FP-AG-TK appears to have disappeared from internet. Every single seller I contacted today is backordered, not taking orders. And then I was reminded on Monday at the eye doctor's that I'm having a hard time focusing at precisely front sight distances these days. AND I happen to have a Leupold scout scope sitting in a box from an unfinished 308 sporter project 15 years ago.

It looks as if it's about 144mm from the breech face to the end of the dovetail on the barrel band. I've not found one with precisely the right distances yet, but it would appear that if I can find a 144mm one of THESE, then I can just slap the scout scope on there in the right spot. Low fixed power long eye relief should work well for both of us. (The distance below that works out to be 100mm is what I need to be about 144ish mm).
1554860733_2351105545cad4abd226bf5.99796336_s-l1600.jpg

Ok, got everything scaled up and ... scout chaser looks like a nogo. It's so far forward that it'd need some sort of barrel mount, like a Crossman 459MT, but I saw lots of people complaining about the effects of that. (The scope in the pic below isn't mounted on the barrel band, it's just sort of in the way)

1554946697_16386597225cae9a89c72a77.12864601_scout-chaser.png

By my photogrammetry attempts, it looks like the rear scope mount screws on the chaser are approximately 0.3" and 0.825" respectively. Of the Williams FP sights I can find on internet at the moment there are three that look like candidates - Savage 99, Marlin 336, H&R and Thompsons all have a pair of top mounted screws. Given the breech price relative to the sight price, I figured my best bet is just to drill and tap the $20 breech block. Heck while we're at it, let's make it ambidextrous. Drill press and a file....

Finally dried out long enough to squeeze a few pellets downrange. I like it. The pistol is quiet enough for rural backyard plinking. The suppressed rifle... it's super quiet. Makes only slightly more noise than a sling shot.

Unfortunately, my boy's not mature enough just yet. We had an introduction and talk about rules and safety and yeah... We're not quite there yet. So I guess I got some time to work on the sight. I did make a mockup with superglue, pop sickle stick, and sharpie that shows a lot of promise, converting the leaf into a peep (and removing the barrel band sight). Wasn't very durable but it proved the concept well enough. Too bad the sight blade is aluminum - if it was brass or steel I could solder a washer in place.

so where do I start on the Chaser

let talk about getting the ldc off the rifle barrel, heat is your friend, hairdryer and bring the temp up to 140 degrees but you have to be able to hold the barrel and turn the ldc with no damage, my .22 was easy the .177 it took 5 tries

mounts not in the box you can get this and make a weaver picatinny bridge by using the center barrel indexer screw hole and your rifle front minus the sight or a Stormrider one and make a 1/16 shim for the back 13 slot model and you have to file down the high spots on the mount

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactic-5-7-9-11-13-Slots-Rail-Mount-Sections-Picatinny-Weaver-for-Mlok-Handguard/113247010224?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=413539569392&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

the trigger can be improved an lot but where you go is up to you

I made new cross pins out of 2.6mm drill bit and added RC shims and drilled the sear and added a 3mm 6 or 8mm grub screw for a trigger travel stop and made new screws for the trigger by epoxying 2mm ball bears on the new grub screw

there are 2 adjustment screws on the trigger but you can only see 1 and the back one is way to short and both of the screws are loose so I Teflon taped them

so is the trigger good out of the box, sure, can it be made lets better, you bet you it can, I have done my three Chaser

now a peep sight, well if you are going to use a peep sight in the rear, you really should put on a globe sight in the front and that project is in the works

now is any of this needed for a 6 year old, no, but not many 6 year olds read this forum

oh the pistol front sight is 14mm off the barrel and the rifle barrel is let say 14.6mm

oh the sear can not be drilled without red hot heat to the front area between the 2 trigger screws

just ideas no more no less

take care

mike

I don't think it's wise to discuss removing the suppressor, and have no plans to do so. I am looking forward to the rumors that a suppressed pistol barrel might be available this year though, but I'll just have two permanently attached suppressors and a spare pistol barrel then.

I made a second peep last night, gluing a guitar pick to the leaf, drilling and shaping. It's a lot more durable than the pop sickle prototype was, but I don't think the india ink I tried out will hold up. I'll have to be on the lookout for paint or black plastic.