Left vs Right Rifling: Difference?

The"bounce" is different. A left to right wind will cause lift when the twist is CCW (left hand as seen from the breech) and will cause drop when the twist is CW (right hand as seen from the breech).

Likewise a right to left wind will cause lift when rifling is clockwise and drop when twist is counter-clickwise.

It won't be much but does start to become noticable with longer flight times.

Apparently the above underlined was not clearly enough stated.

About the only time that calculating this drift in a firing solution comes into play is when taking a cold bore shot at long range where the first shot must count. You aren't likely to see this calculated by any target shooters ever.

Edited to improve clarity...

Of commonly used airgun barrels (CZ, LW, FX, TJ, in-house crosman/Chinese/Turkish/etc) does anybody know (or care) which rotate one direction, and which rotate the other? 

You can figure out direction of twist with a tight fitting patch and a cleaning rod. (IF YOU CARE)

Yep, determining direction of twist would be that easy.

But why? Or in other words, what does it gain you? 

I'm not disagreeing that the twist direction of the rifling (and therefore the direction of spin the pellet has in flight) can result in higher or lower impact points, when winds from varying directions are at play. I'm just making the point that what can we really do with that knowledge at the time of trigger pull. Wind is a fickle beast, nearly constantly changing in intensity and direction, even if only subtly. There are enough rapidly changing conditions at play during long range shooting that remembering, "oh this gun has my right handed twist barrel in it so I'm going to do x and I'd be doing y if it had the left handed twist rifled barrel," is simply not a realistic or feasible idea. Anybody shooting long range airguns for precision and accuracy just accounts for what the wind did to the last pellet on the next shot. "Oh, it got pushed down and left a bit, I'll aim to the right and higher this next time, as long as the wind seems to be the same, and maybe hold further right and higher if the wind is more, or hold on the other side if the wind switched, etc."

So yeah, barrels may have rifling rotating clockwise or counterclockwise, but the net effect of that difference is what my buddy Steve123 calls "discrepancy swallowed up in actuality."

(And why are you posting in the same discussion with two different profiles again, this time only 9 minutes apart? Most that have been on here for any length of time know that you're the same guy. Why do you do that? It's disingenuous to pretend/imply that you are multiple people). 

The"bounce" is different. A left to right wind will cause lift when the twist is CCW (left hand as seen from the breech) and will cause drop when the twist is CW (right hand as seen from the breech).

Likewise a right to left wind will cause lift when rifling is clockwise and drop when twist is counter-clickwise.

Let’s be clear here. You’re talking slugs. Pellets are the opposite. 

Of commonly used airgun barrels (CZ, LW, FX, TJ, in-house crosman/Chinese/Turkish/etc) does anybody know (or care) which rotate one direction, and which rotate the other? 

You can figure out direction of twist with a tight fitting patch and a cleaning rod. (IF YOU CARE)

Well, for all the reasons you just stated, I think it’s just an individual preference and NOT an objectively advantageous nor disadvantageous reason.

I can imagine a number of shooting scenarios where one might want more lofty behavior - open range, long distance shooting etc - versus a more flattening behavior - pest control, where you dont want any shot going further than expected.

I live near Galveston island, where the wind is strong and constantly coming in from the Gulf. If shooting outdoors and cross wind, I might want a barrel that flattens the trajectory a little more. I can imagine a shot getting caught in those strong coastal crosswinds, and floating up higher than I would want.

But again, it’s there as a choice for preference - any twist can be zeroed upon and compensated for.

At least, this is just my opinion based on the info given by the other guys in this thread.

I'm not disagreeing that the twist direction of the rifling (and therefore the direction of spin the pellet has in flight) can result in higher or lower impact points, when winds from varying directions are at play. I'm just making the point that what can we really do with that knowledge at the time of trigger pull. Wind is a fickle beast, nearly constantly changing in intensity and direction, even if only subtly. There are enough rapidly changing conditions at play during long range shooting that remembering, "oh this gun has my right handed twist barrel in it so I'm going to do x and I'd be doing y if it had the left handed twist rifled barrel," is simply not a realistic or feasible idea. Anybody shooting long range airguns for precision and accuracy just accounts for what the wind did to the last pellet on the next shot. "Oh, it got pushed down and left a bit, I'll aim to the right and higher this next time, as long as the wind seems to be the same, and maybe hold further right and higher if the wind is more, or hold on the other side if the wind switched, etc."

So yeah, barrels may have rifling rotating clockwise or counterclockwise, but the net effect of that difference is what my buddy Steve123 calls "discrepancy swallowed up in actuality."

"It won't be much but does start to become noticable with longer flight times."

Let me add this at this point, the reason these issues matter becomes apparent to the person who must make the first shot out of a cold bore count. For your run of the mill bench rest shooter it will never be important enough to require any attention at all.

Franklink

(And why are you posting in the same discussion with two different profiles again, this time only 9 minutes apart? Most that have been on here for any length of time know that you're the same guy. Why do you do that? It's disingenuous to pretend/imply that you are multiple people).

Let’s be clear here. You’re talking slugs. Pellets are the opposite.

You are absolutely right about that. My initial response was a bit trite. I have removed it.