N/A Least problematic air rifle brand for newbies

I started with a Gen 1 Mrod. Airguns don't really get much simpler. These days you can get a regulated starter gun for less than the cost of an unregulated Mrod, but I still think it was an awesome place to start. You learn so much from unregulated guns, kinda like learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle. It was a foundational experience from which to grow and expand upon. Sure, you can jump right in with an Impact or the like, but most inexperienced airgunners will find themselves in over their heads in pretty short order. I can't think of a worse way to start in the hobby than buying a gun with too many things to twist and turn and no idea how to adjust them.

I started with a Gen 1 Mrod. Airguns don't really get much simpler. These days you can get a regulated starter gun for less than the cost of an unregulated Mrod, but I still think it was an awesome place to start. You learn so much from unregulated guns, kinda like learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle. It was a foundational experience from which to grow and expand upon. Sure, you can jump right in with an Impact or the like, but most inexperienced airgunners will find themselves in over their heads in pretty short order. I can't think of a worse way to start in the hobby than buying a gun with too many things to twist and turn and no idea how to adjust them.
Forget the Impact that’s a nightmare with too many variables but there’s always a Katran, Brocock…..that don’t offer 999,000 combinations of tune.

Reactions: bucketboy
Before getting into pcps if anyone said I’d be spending $2000 per gun I would’ve said they’re crazy. Now it’s normal
Man, how many hobbies enjoy that rabbit hole. My wife says “you keep calling it a hobby, IT’S AN ADDICTION”. Yes dear, you’re right.

My two cents as I haven't purchased a true higher end rifle yet. But a do have a used FX Streamline that gave me a glimpse of the spectrum of a pricier units performance. l also have some Crosman pumpers, a few Hatsans pcp's and break barrels of different manufactures. The one rifle that I had an opportunity to work on/tune is the Gamo Urban pcp. To me that is as good as introduction/starter pcp as one could want on a moderate budget. Plenty of videos of it's abilities and enhancements and it's all around function and accuracy is unmatched at it's price point imo. The stock is very ergonomic and when the user is ready to find the full potential it can be done with minimal technical ability. Not wanting to ruffle any feathers, but I didn't see this particular rifle discussed fully and if a "Newbie" does read this topic completely they might consider this as another option for their consideration.

This thread is a great subject and I hope somemore valuable imput is provided. I am small level dealer and have been looking for quality guns in the $1,000 or under range. It seems like $1,000 or over is shocking for beginners. I myself have have a top brand rifle not perform that well with very little support so I am not dedicated to highend only. I considered brining in a bunch of Notos to get people started. Avengers kind of don't do it for me because most people aren't into a really long rifle. Bullpups are nicer. I did sell some Niksan Defense bullpups without any rral feedback yet. I tried them myself and found to to perforn well enough.

Reactions: 17dean
FX Royale platform (.177, .22, .25) and Boss (.30). Pellets only, simplicity, repeatability, ACCURACY & very low maintenance. This platform is one of, if not THE best they've ever produced. If you've ever owned or shot one you'd understand.
A bump for the Royale series.
the only thing i really didn't like about this rifle was the o-ring 1 mm into the breech. you needed to keep in supply because you constantly blew it out..other than that..i don't remember anything else that required care.
Those early smooth twists were fantastic.

I bought junk at the beginning
I am very slow to use the word "junk" to describe budget items as it may be another person's pride and joy and the VERY BEST he can afford and may take offence to that. I don't take offence but I am one of those who can only afford what you describe as junk. I am supposed to be retired but after I lost my business during lockdown still have to work just to have a half decent lifestyle and no matter how long I hold off and save, I will not be able to afford high end or even middle class PCPs. There are MANY people in the same situation like me who also want to enjoy the hobby.

I have two Urbans. I like them so much I bought a spare. It is a superb little rifle, excellent all metal and quality build from BSA of the UK. It is also accurate. Very accurate. And reasonably powerful at 22 to 26 fpe. There is not much to tune on it, hammer spring adjustment is hidden. The trigger is okay and can be upgraded with the GT triggers. The shot count is upward of 30 good shots on a nice, flat bell curve. The more you wind the hammer sping in, the steeper that curve becomes and skews also. The rifle is also very compact and fairly loght. But, where the Urban looses to the marauder platofrm is adjustability, power, parts and service support and the Marauder is much quieter with the easily accessed shroud system vs. the easily damaged and not so easy to replace molded on "pickle" suppresor. And the Urban is significantly less money than the Marauder. he Urban .22 may be more accurate than the standard Crosman barrel .22 Marauder but experience has proven to me that the .25 Marauder with Crosman barrel is equal to or more accurate, but that is a .25. The Marauder has by far the better trigger and is significantly more quiet. Both rifles are simple and easy to tear into and again the Marauder is the winner because it uses hardware store and easily identified O-rings and has parts support a phone call away. The Gamo Urban does have somebody answering the phone and at least for me on two occasions I was able to beg and plead and beg some parts to be ordered. And the Gamo lady who answered the phone was very nice.

Edit to add and not directed to any person. There is nothing junk or junky or cheap about either a Marauder or Urban. You may not like them, they may not be the right rifle for your needs, for any of a myriad of reasons people pick and choose based on their preferences. As soon as I hear Marauder/Urban and junk, POS, cheap, in the same sentence I am going to discount that review. Unlike some very expensive rifles, the Marauder and in particular the Urban, do hold their POI when carried about. Well, remove the Urban plastic barrel band, ha, it simply needs no support, the barrel and receiver are surprisingly rigid which is why the little rifle is very accurate in use.

Last edited:
I am very slow to use the word "junk" to describe budget items as it may be another person's pride and joy and the VERY BEST he can afford and may take offence to that. I don't take offence but I am one of those who can only afford what you describe as junk. I am supposed to be retired but after I lost my business during lockdown still have to work just to have a half decent lifestyle and no matter how long I hold off and save, I will not be able to afford high end or even middle class PCPs. There are MANY people in the same situation like me who also want to enjoy the hobby.
My wife says I use words that are offensive sometimes but I don’t mean it that way. Let’s change it to more “budget friendly” from now on:) instead of junk. I totally understand everyone’s situation is different:) at the end of the day as long as we’re shooting that’s all that matters. I’m just too darn picky or else I wouldn’t care what I’m shooting. Guess I’m extremely passionate is what I’d call it . Don’t mean to be offensive to my fellow shooters:)

A bump for the Royale series.
the only thing i really didn't like about this rifle was the o-ring 1 mm into the breech. you needed to keep in supply because you constantly blew it out..other than that..i don't remember anything else that required care.
Those early smooth twists were fantastic.
I'm surprised, 7 years with my Royale 500 & I've yet to replace a single o-ring! I know that will come sooner than later.

Reactions: jmohme
I feel your pain Brother.