Learning the Evol Paradigm

After voting on Michael's 'Pick Your Poison' thread, I ended up putting my money where my mouth was and purchasing a .22 cal Evol Paradigm. I ordered from AoA on Sunday, they were processing the order by Monday (4th of July), they shipped on Tuesday and it was delivered Thursday afternoon. Nice job AoA.

IMG_2784.JPG

This gun is immaculate in its construction - a beautiful instrument and obviously very well made. I had a Vector Optics Veyron 6-24x44 FFP scope available, so I installed that. I'm still determining if the scope is the correct choice. It didn't work all that well in medium height rings, so I changed to talls. I'm still not all that comfortable over the gun so I may replace the Veyron with something that has a more forgiving eye box. And the Paradigm is a heavy gun already, so it doesn't really cry out for a compact & light optic.

The regulator is still breaking in - heck the gun only has 100 shots on it now. But even so (and some of the variability is due to using non-sorted, non-weighed pellets) the gun has so much promise! Below is my zeroing and first groups. I had to zero twice since I changed the rings after starting. All groups from the second line down are full magazines (11 shots), with the FX Chrony hanging off the barrel. Only 25 yards so far, but I am happy and things will likely only get better - especially as I get more comfortable over the gun with a different scope. The variability in the accuracy below is all on the shooter, and none on the gun.

IMG_2783.JPG

Looks like about 5 magazines per fill (at least 50 very well controlled shots) at the gun's current tune putting out 48 fpe at the muzzle. I started seeing unusual performance towards the end of the 5th mag, and all through the 6th. Was definitely coming off the reg by the end of the 5th mag.

Paradigm First 100 Shots.jpg

I love the gun so far, but as they say, not everything is beer and Skittles. One of the first things which hits you is that while the cocking lever is incredibly smooth, you are compressing a VERY HEAVY spring. Cocking feels more like a .30 or .357 caliber gun. But it may lighten up over time. Second item is the magazine. While incredibly well constructed, the magazine design they chose reminds me of loading a Benjamin mag, where one has to turn the cover and load the first pellet skirt-first. And with the precision of the mag, loading that first one isn't all that easy as the skirt likes to hang up. I'm now happy that I didn't pop for a second $98 mag when I bought the gun. But in the end, if the gun shoots accurately out of the magazine then the design is O.K. by me. And hopefully when AAA sells more and more guns, maybe Darko can be convinced to fabricate his mags and, especially, his single shot loaders!

So still lots of work for me to do with the Paradigm. Not tuning work, but just setting the gun up so I am more comfortable (and stable!) and repeatable when shooting it. It is kind of funny that with the Steve Corcoran stock of such an unusual design (in my experience), I forgot several times that it allowed a thumb up hold. I was just naturally grabbing the stock with my thumb through the thumbhole and shooting. Until halfway through maybe the 4th group I remembered to grip with my thumb up, and immediately felt a little more solid.

Once again nothing at all wrong with the gun or its design - it is just me getting used to it.

EDIT: Did some scope swapping and will try the Blackhound Genesis 6-24x50 and see how we get along. Big problem is that family is in town this weekend for Mom's 90th birthday. The nerve of that woman to turn 90 the weekend I want to shoot! ;)

Last edited:
Just got mine in today. Boy, I couldn't control the big a** grin I had on my face bringing in the box from the garage into the house. This one is in .22cal as well. Just a few pics. Reg looks to be set at 2250 PSI / 155 BAR. Recoil pad is adjustable up, down, and for pan.

Trigger guard is aluminum which I'm happy about and glad they didn't put a plastic one. Fit and finish is pristine for both the metal work and walnut stock. No scratches or dents in either.

The thumb up position fits my style of shooting and is very comfortable. It's been raining all day so more to come when I have a chance. I'm not gonna give it too much praise until i actually shoot it.

20220709_130337.jpg

20220709_130829.jpg

20220709_131041.jpg

20220709_130837.jpg

20220709_130925.jpg

Got some more play time with the Paradigm this morning, and I'm definitely more comfortable with it with more trigger time and with the different scope (Blackhound) up top.

Took 4 shots to get on paper at 25 yards with the newly mounted scope (have to take into account the 40 moa which I recall AAA has built into the top rail). Then went directly out to 50 yards. Really no wind to speak of this morning. After a couple of 'casual' groups, I tried to buckle down and really try harder. And the rifle was definitely up to the task, performing better than I did.

I then tested a couple of other rifles against the Paradigm. I almost didn't buy the Paradigm because I thought that the performance from my Prophet 2 Performance would be similar. This was the first time I shot the Prophet to 50 yards for groups. I have shot it at 25 for groups and out to about 40 when plinking. And the difference with my guns, in my hands was incredible. First off, I am almost always more stable and therefore more accurate with a traditionally stocked rifle off the bench. Second, the difference between the Paradigm's and the Prophet's triggers (both as received by me, with no adjustments made) was spectacular. I walked away hating the Prophet's trigger as currently adjusted after this morning's shoot! I also believe that I prefer shooting the Prophet off a bipod and rear bag, as opposed to using 2 bags.

So I then pulled out an 'old standard' - My Red Wolf HP GC2 in .22. The first group showed that it didn't want to shoot the 25.4 RD's on HI power, so subsequent groups were shot on MID power. It is essentially the same form factor as the Paradigm when shooting off the bench, and has a trigger which is just as good. And while I shot some decent groups with the RW (even though I pulled some shots), I think that the Paradigm overall shot better, and does so out of a shorter, more convenient package.

So I'm getting better with the Paradigm - maybe someday I'll get up to half of the gun's true capabilities! The gun continues to remind me how stiff the hammer spring is every time I cock it, but loading the mags (especially the first backwards round) was a little smoother today. Plus I'm already much more comfortable with the gun on only me second time shooting it. Continues to be very highly recommended in my opinion.

That's all the shooting I will get for the weekend, but I learned a lot today.

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Enjoyed the comparison of the three guns at 50 yards. Seems like the Prophet should be capable of much better groups at 50 yards, given the stated conditions. I believe another shootout is in order... Congrats on the Paradigm.
Yes, the Prophet should have grouped better. One holes at 25 yards and seemed to be effective plinking @ ~40 yards, but then again I wasn't seeing my misses while plinking. Factors which impact the Prophet's performance in my hands: Can't get as stable over the gun on the bench due to its form factor, trigger was the stiffest of the 3 guns I shot this morning, and Prophet wears more of a hunting scope which doesn't have the same magnification or precision reticle as compared to the scopes on the other guns. And it is relatively new to me and I haven't even attempted any tuning on it yet.

Would be interested in a Evol Paradigm Vs AGT Vulcan 3 50 yd. groups. :)
My long V3 is a .30 cal and its 50 yard accuracy compares very well to the Paradigm. But comparing apples to oranges due to the caliber difference?

Reactions: L.Leon
Got my Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56 scope mounted but the rings are too high. Glad that the Paradigm has an adjustable cheek comb riser otherwise it wouldn't work out for a good cheek weld. I should be getting new rings in the mail today that are lower in height so it should resolve the issue of getting the scope and cheek comb lower. I haven't even done a proper zero for it yet. I plan to get another scope for it but waiting until it's in stock. The Athlon Cronus was supposed to be mounted on another airgun but haven't got around to doing it. The walnut stock actually looks better in person than in the pic.

20220709_154543.jpg

Reactions: TMH