• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leapers UTG Accushot 4-16x44 AO versus Hawke AIRMAX 4-12x50 AO

I put the Hawke Sport HD 4-12x50 Mil Dot IR on and like it fine (this scope out of production) but I had it on another rifle.

TIP for you...some of us run out of elevation due to some flashing left under the scope rail from the factory. I just shimmed the rear mount but others removed rail and removed flashing to correct.

Rich

IMG_0596.1619012857.JPG

illuminated reticle is pretty much a gimmick .. it 'might' help in very specific scenarios but pretty much nah, your not fudgin with that or pretty much anything else when your after a nutter ... the hawke is likely a better scope all around but also alot bigger - longer and you'll need to mount it taller, makes a difference .. it might not matter depending on what your doing with it, if it tends to be targets mostly and further out i'd say go for the hawk .. closer in i'd go for a more compact and lower scope even if the reticle and glass isnt quite as good .. and again, alot has to do with you and what you want on your gun, the hawke is a 'nicer' scope.. just maybe not ideal for everything, nothing is ..

I have no knowledge of the Leapers UTG scope but the Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm IR, SF, compact is an excellent scope for my 95. I used Hawke tactical 2 piece medium rings to mount the 11.7" and 21.9oz scope which leaves about 1/8" clearance for the objective lens. The medium rings put the scope centerline at 1.5" above the .22 bore. My rifle weighs 9lbs 2oz and I highly recommend this combo for the HW95. My wife really likes the IR feature.

IMG_0384 New Rings Compact.1619037279.jpg

I own 3 of the UTG and if you can grab one for under 150 it’s an ok scope. Glass ain’t great, edge distortion, eyebox is horrible, lighted reticle is useless. If you ever have to shoot anywhere towards a setting sun you can’t see anything. However, they do work and are useable but, it might take a while to get used to the eyebox. If you’re not in the perfect position it just won’t work. The Hawke is FAR BETTER!

I know they aren't exactly the same models you asked about, but are close. I agree with above, my 4-12x40 utg works, but the reticle is thicker, mediocre glass and heavy. But, it holds zero on my Diana 36 and hasn't needed ANY adjustment in a couple thousand rounds/years. Does its job. I never use the illuminated reticle. 

I have a Hawke Airmax 4-12x40 on another Diana 36. Thinner reticle, holds zero, clearer/brighter glass. Lighter weight. Also has needed no adjustments over thousands of rounds.

I like the Hawke so much, I bought another for my Marauder. 

I did try buying a Hawke Airmax off ebay(new) from seller "focus camera". I sent it back as it had damaged threads at the optical bell where a sunshade would screw in and the AO adjuster had a ton of slop in it. Didn't even mount it. So, do buy from reputable sources.