FX Leaky Royale fixes itself?

Hi All,
I live at sea level-I took my Royale up to around 3000' to do some hunting. Temps were in the 30s and the gun spent the night in the camper of my truck. It was at 200 bar when I left home. When I pulled it out next day it had leaked down to 100 bar. I filled it and shot a little, put it back in the truck and next day it had leaked down again. I went home and after a few weeks I filled it and applied soapy water to all the usual leak spots and didn't see any leaks. I shot it some more and now it seems to be holding air fine. Anyone else ever have this happen?

An intermittent leak is pretty common with dynamic O-rings as they are just beginning to fail due to compression set and extrusion.

The typical culprits are the O-ring on a fill port’s check valve, or the O-rings of a regulator spool.

In your specific case, it may be that the colder temperatures brought it to the surface because the elastomer became less compliant, but later resumed sealing when it warmed up.

Hi All,
I live at sea level-I took my Royale up to around 3000' to do some hunting. Temps were in the 30s and the gun spent the night in the camper of my truck. It was at 200 bar when I left home. When I pulled it out next day it had leaked down to 100 bar. I filled it and shot a little, put it back in the truck and next day it had leaked down again. I went home and after a few weeks I filled it and applied soapy water to all the usual leak spots and didn't see any leaks. I shot it some more and now it seems to be holding air fine. Anyone else ever have this happen?
Yes experienced that, it’s a sign of an old Oring needing replacement, depending on temperature It will leak when bled down it reseals at a certain pressure. On the older royale, the first O-ring that leaks is inside the regulator the smallest oring there check your vent hole for the reg its after the gauge connection.

Ernest

Reactions: bf1956