• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Leaky cyclone question...

I have an old school .22 FX Cyclone. I took out to do some back yard shooting after a couple of years and not surprisingly, a gun purchased in 2004 is leaking. I replaced a bunch of o-rings over the years but this is a new symptom. Previously it would leak slowly after a fill and be dead by morning. This time, I fill it from the CF tank but when I bleed the air from hose, it dumps the all the air stored in the gun's cylinder.

I will likely replace all the o-rings but I'm curious which one causes this issue.

Thanks for any help.

Is it dumping out the barrel? If so, the exhaust valve isn't sealing. Firing it a few times quickly can help, otherwise it may need to be replaced or cleaned up.

They are also prone to leaking from the check valve in the fill end. The oring on the little cone shaped valve gets deformed easily. And it has to be just the right size to seal. This is normally a really slow leak, but if yours dumps air from the fill probe hole area after filling, I bet this oring has split finally.

If you fired it while empty or at really low pressure, the exhaust valve spring can be wadded up and possibly keeping the valve from closing and sealing. Happened on mine.

Had one for several years, those are nice guns and simple. You'll get it straightened out.

If not, I probably have a spare gloss old school FX Cyclone cylinder around here. If I can find it, LOL

Is it dumping out the barrel? If so, the exhaust valve isn't sealing. Firing it a few times quickly can help, otherwise it may need to be replaced or cleaned up.

They are also prone to leaking from the check valve in the fill end. The oring on the little cone shaped valve gets deformed easily. And it has to be just the right size to seal. This is normally a really slow leak, but if yours dumps air from the fill probe hole area after filling, I bet this oring has split finally.

If you fired it while empty or at really low pressure, the exhaust valve spring can be wadded up and possibly keeping the valve from closing and sealing. Happened on mine.

Had one for several years, those are nice guns and simple. You'll get it straightened out.

If not, I probably have a spare gloss old school FX Cyclone cylinder around here. If I can find it, LOL
It's actually dumping all the air through the bleed valve. The little check valve o-ring is one that I've replaced a few times.

The exhaust valve spring sounds like it may be the culprit. I've never messed around with it. I'll open it up and take a look.

Thanks for your help.

Every few years, I get the itch to buy a Wildcat or Maverick...then I dust off the cyclone and shoot a couple of tins in the back yard. I don't do any pesting these days so the unregulated .22 works great for backyard plinking and paper punching.

If I can't get it up and running soon, I may have to start looking at Maverick's again.

If it comes out of the fill port, it's the check valve. That's all it can be. That oring has to be just right to seal, it's easy to get the wrong size. If I knew what it was right off I'd tell you, but I don't remember :unsure: Also any little speck of dirt will make them leak. It's a finicky setup no doubt.

Pull the fill end back apart and take a close look at it. That's where the trouble is.

The cylinder on the Cyclone is removable, so just remove the cylinder and work on it. That way if it leaks you know it's the cylinder and not anything in the action.

Reactions: patrick_b

I know this is an old thread but if you still have that cyclone cylinder, I’d be interested in getting it from you.