The thing is, don’t breath or ingest lead. A common misconception is that melting lead will cause harmful vapors. This is not necessarily true. In order for that to occur, the lead must be heated far beyond the temperatures used by most. Also, people should feel free to touch pellets, or lead of any sort, for that matter. Just make it a habit to wash your hands after handling your pellets and you’ll be fine. Lead, despite its negative press, is not the health or environmental boogie man that it is oftentimes made out to be.

The fact also is all the local lead weight and jig makers from back in the days all died an early death. Coincidentally? Unlikely. The Roman empire’s fall is partly due to their habit of drinking from lead cups and pipes. so was multiple kingdoms in China fell due to lead poisoning from bronze alloy that contained a lot of lead which dissolved well in the acidic rice wine they loved. The thing is our body CAN NOT naturally get rid of lead and will accumulate over time so a bit here and there may not seem bad but over time things get ugly. The effect of lead is well publicized so no need to rehash.

It is federally banned to use lead shotgun shell on migrating birds which I agree 100% because of birds’ habit of eating small pebbles to help digestion plus extremely strong stomach acid. However I’m not 100% certain lead bullet ban on bigger animals does that much as the bullets would simply pass through 99% of time so the data is a bit questionable. I’m all for good conservation decisions made based on science and data but as we know that doesn’t happen all the time. That being said copper bullets are already VERY effective so for hunting purposes there isn’t much of “lost” these days. Obviously copper 22LR is basically useless but a 308 copper core hunting bullet is very good.

Given how few hunting bullets hunters use to harvest meat I don’t see the lead ban is a big deal. I know many hunters here in California and once the copper bullets were made accessible no one I Know have any issues or even complain about it. It really isn’t a big deal.

Again, lead bullets for target shooting which uses night and day more bullets than hunting is legal here in CA and even the price is finally dropping recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: DNF and CoyoteGod
fun facts about lead: Lead is highly soluble or dissolves easily under PH 6, more acidic or lower the PH number more lead is soluble or “mobile”.
Here is a map of US rain water acidity(a bit old but I assume it has only gotten worse over last 20 years):
C99E7A95-645B-4190-9C13-12CAE2D802A1.gif

For reference what that the PH numbers mean:
DBEA3E32-3E90-4E26-8815-92C1D64CDB3A.png

So…….you east coast folks might not want to leave lead in the ground in large quantities especially if you drink ground water.

And if you don’t believe lead is harmful at all then I know some amazing deals on houses in Flint Michigan. Heard it’s a conspiracy to drive out the enviro-mentalists and drive down housing cost for true Americans.🤣

Last edited:
Having heard all the scary things about lead I got tested for it and other “harmful” metals like mercury. None found. Surprised me.

It surprised me because I’d been handling lead and mercury since a small child. Lead because I used solder in my hobbies and often held it in my mouth, and would bite it noting how soft it was, or how the flux smelled as I inhaled the vapors as it was melted and applied. I liked rosin core a lot. That went on for decades since electronics became both my favorite hobby and then my profession.

The mercury was only a childhood thing. We had bottles of the miraculous liquid metal and delighted at the unexpectedly heavy feel of it rolling around in the hand, and the way it made silver coins suddenly shiny and slippery.

The reason I had no reason not to do these things is because I am from the backwoods of Appalachia and this was the ‘40s and early ’50s. The warnings were not there. For what it’s worth most drugs now illegal were legal back then, and even part of some common medicines … and there was no drug problem.

The rest of that story is, that testing was forty plus years ago, my habits haven't changed, I still handle “dangerous substances“ with impunity, and I’m still here.

Just a personal anecdote, not a plug for being ignorant. :)

As for the health of our feathered brethren and lead … I’m personally pretty sure wind power is a bigger threat to them than some random shotgun pellets. Dumb hillbilly thinking again I’m sure.

Having heard all the scary things about lead I got tested for it and other “harmful” metals like mercury. None found. Surprised me.

It surprised me because I’d been handling lead and mercury since a small child. Lead because I used solder in my hobbies and often held it in my mouth, and would bite it noting how soft it was, or how the flux smelled as I inhaled the vapors as it was melted and applied. I liked rosin core a lot. That went on for decades since electronics became both my favorite hobby and then my profession.

The mercury was only a childhood thing. We had bottles of the miraculous liquid metal and delighted at the unexpectedly heavy feel of it rolling around in the hand, and the way it made silver coins suddenly shiny and slippery.

The reason I had no reason not to do these things is because I am from the backwoods of Appalachia and this was the ‘40s and early ’50s. The warnings were not there. For what it’s worth most drugs now illegal were legal back then, and even part of some common medicines … and there was no drug problem.

The rest of that story is, that testing was forty plus years ago, my habits haven't changed, I still handle “dangerous substances“ with impunity, and I’m still here.

Just a personal anecdote, not a plug for being ignorant. :)

As for the health of our feathered brethren and lead … I’m personally pretty sure wind power is a bigger threat to them than some random shotgun pellets. Dumb hillbilly thinking again I’m sure.
I grew up in Chicago sub.s and my 7 grade science teacher passed a glob of it around hand to hand student to student
(Hmmm what would happen to that teacher in these times ? )

Reactions: Fate
A big thanks to Qball for posting some solid info on the subject.

I was in a line of work in which we had to be tested on an annual basis. I was curious as a shooter and reloader. My personal testing indicated between 8 and 12 micrograms per decaliter of blood over a period of years. That's not high enough for concern.

I did witness one guy on a job site that tested at 48 micrograms per decaliter (of blood) and can testify that he was exhibiting classic symptoms. He was a moron (lead damages intelligence) and ended up being detailed to different area of workspace. I was honestly surprised that he didn't have dropsy.

Kids are another matter, entirely. They're growing and they fix minerals and metals at a much higher rate than adults do. I kept a box of baby wipes with me when working as a volunteer at the shooting range and made sure that the kids cleaned up before they left. The parents really appreciated that. I felt it was a good thing to do as a range officer.

Nowadays, I wash my hands after handling lead pellets as a precaution. If I'm training kids, they do the same. No exceptions. It can't hurt, can it?

Chelation can reduce the quantity of lead in a person's body, but it takes other metals at the same time.

Be safe,

J~

Reactions: HN Sport and qball
Lead is being demonized by the TPTB in order to control ammunition. Compared to other environmental hazards such as pesticides or for that matter artificial sweeteners and statin drugs expended bullets are way down the list of actual risk to humans. TPTB are weaponizing the EPA as an end-around to the US 2nd Amendment. They have no real concern for supposed "victims" of lead based ammunition pollution any more than they have for anyone but themselves. Ask Flint, Michigan what's been done for (to) them.

It is only a matter of time before the airgun industry sees more oversight and regulation - whether it's focused ammunition (lead ban) or being lumped into firearm categories for buying/selling and use rules. And this will only be sped up as airguns get more powerful, and have fully automatic models, and get more popular.
Really ?!?! ....so that is your fear/paranoia talking but in reality not based on any facts wharsoever ;)

Lead is being demonized by the TPTB in order to control ammunition. Compared to other environmental hazards such as pesticides or for that matter artificial sweeteners and statin drugs expended bullets are way down the list of actual risk to humans. TPTB are weaponizing the EPA as an end-around to the US 2nd Amendment. They have no real concern for supposed "victims" of lead based ammunition pollution any more than they have for anyone but themselves. Ask Flint, Michigan what's been done for (to) them.

I agree.

Those within the EPA are a lot more interested in protecting mother earth than any of us that live on it. Then there are those that seek to control others because it makes them feel safer. Then there are those that just can't resist meddling because they're busybodies. Look at the attacks on vaping when it offers a somewhat safer alternative to smoking.

"There are two types of people. Those that are interested in controlling others and those that aren't." - R. A. Heinlein

Stay safe,

J~

Reactions: Smitty911

While I completely agree that everyone in the government has an agenda but what you posted is just doesn’t add up at least here in California. As many enviro-mentalists are here in CA we only banned lead ammo for hunting ONLY!!! I was just talking to my buddy and checking out LEAD core bullets he just got from Berger and he bought more than a few and they were cheap!

When I went to national forest to shoot my airguns during pandemic the area near civilization that allow shooting, it sounded like Baghdad during gulf war, holy crap people were dumping ammo at a shocking rate! No wonder we had ammo shortage! And very unlikely they go full Rambo with more expensive copper hunting bullets. Heard NY is pretty bad with scheming on banning bullets period but I don’t live there so can not speak to that but here in CA I honestly don’t see all the fear mongering is about. I have NOT bought center fire stuff for ages thanks to airguns and shelves are full and bulk ammo sales are appearing again so at least for now there is no real issues here in CA. Also recently checked out one of my neighbor’s stash and it’s a small armory! He has multiple Tarran Tactical(actual John wick guns) pieces, he said he has every model Tarren tactical made up to a point. Also had stacks of ammo in boxes that would make my 20k pellet stash look meager, rich bastard!!! 🤣

Last edited:
Anyone or obviously any government agency, can make crayon-like maps with bold colors, to play the propaganda game of scaring the populace. Just like with man made climate change, doesn’t make it true.

Truth is like a coin, there are 2 sides and the truth is in the middle/edge.

BTW, this house would be a million dollars in the Bay Area! Eve Redfin says offers are accepted immmediately!
7E00FE27-2B2A-4D35-8522-DBE5516FF959.jpeg

and this:
OK, local context. I live in MA and know West Newton well. I work in Waltham a couple of miles away. The gentleman's first and, IMO only, mistake was being seen outdoors with a "gun", period. Some Karen in Newton, the MA capitol of Karens, saw a man with a "gun". Better not say more lest the wrath of the mods descend..

Reactions: SqrlHntr
Truth is like a coin, there are 2 sides and the truth is in the middle/edge.

BTW, this house would be a million dollars in the Bay Area! Eve Redfin says offers are accepted immmediately!
View attachment 283131
I'll buy it! I cast bullets for my PB's and would only have to fill my lead pot with tap water, let it boil off, and melt what remained into my moulds!:p

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty911
It is only a matter of time before the airgun industry sees more oversight and regulation - whether it's focused ammunition (lead ban) or being lumped into firearm categories for buying/selling and use rules. And this will only be sped up as airguns get more powerful, and have fully automatic models, and get more popular.
I would think that instead of fighting these regulations outright, we'd want to push to establish airgun-specific regulations to keep bills like this from lumping in airguns with all things firearms.
Whan they get Fire Arms then they will go for Air Guns