Lead won't penetrate your skin - BUT

Hi guys,

I think the worst exposure comes from breathing the vaporized lead particles when shooting powder burners.

It's a good idea to get a test done to see what your baseline is. My was at 8. After a bullseye match when we had wind blowing the smoke back at us I got tested again and my lead level when up to 39.

I think the risk is pretty low handling pellets if you wash your hands and use common sense.

I do use the d-lead soap. 

David Lead Level test 2-21-18 b.1647911288.png
David High Level 39 4-2-19.1647911289.png

Hi guys,

I think the worst exposure comes from breathing the vaporized lead particles when shooting powder burners.

It's a good idea to get a test done to see what your baseline is. My was at 8. After a bullseye match when we had wind blowing the smoke back at us I got tested again and my lead level when up to 39.

I think the risk is pretty low handling pellets if you wash your hands and use common sense.

I do use the d-lead soap. 

David Lead Level test 2-21-18 b.1647911288.png
David High Level 39 4-2-19.1647911289.png

@CrazyDave Thank you for sharing your test results and experience. Since you mentioned it, I do wonder how having a shroud that vents lead dust right in front of where it affixes to the breech affects shooters. Even in open spaces, if the wind blows lead dust back towards the shooter I imagine that the long term effects could be detrimental to some extent. 

friend died of too much iron in his system,plastic bottles should be outlawed.

To much lead in the system can and does deform a fetus...why it was outlawed in shot shells and paint.

Mercury is even worse....So many say ,"what I got away with", too many can't....

Alcohol abuse.....causes bad shooting.

"Stay Safe My Friend".

Let us hope the chemicals in the wipes, is not nore harmfull than the issue with lead.

As we use those same chemicals in laundry detergent and household cleaners and get 1000x more exposure over our lifetimes. Not that I’m unconcerned over them but using D-Lead or similar isn’t going to boost your overall intake substantially.

Not to be a hypochondriac because at 62 I’ve already ingested enough junk to do whatever bad stuff it’s going to do… but I am concerned for children and want to minimize their exposure.

My personal opinion based on some data but mostly anecdotal is that micro plastic in our food stream is our greatest risk in an otherwise clean middle class American environment. When someone offers me a bottled water that’s been sitting in a 120° trunk or warehouse for six months I know I’m getting a huge dose compared to fresh water (even from Troy haha).

I feel the same way about plastic water bottles and such. And aluminum cans are just plastic bags surrounded by an aluminum shell.

i don’t worry too much about myself but for my daughter it is a different story. 

one thing i read n one of tue forums - if your skin is sweaty, lead will be absorbed through it and the rule of lead not entering through skin will not apply. I haven’t verified this, and don’t know how big a difference sweat makes

There are several other brands of lead removal wipes in addition to D-Lead. If you go to a professional paint store there are less expensive versions of the same thing. What you want is a “Detergent” that will lift and absorb heavy metals. Then you wash your hands with regular soap and water to get rid of the detergent.

I used to shoot competition pistol, several + hundreds of rounds per week and had some blood tests done, shooting indoors even at a “good” ventilated range definitely raised my levels. Shooting with a suppressor blows a lot of lead dust back at you too.

The scariest scenario is a kid (developing nervous system) playing near a target where pulverized lead dust accumulates. Absolute worst is under a pellet trap in your basement. I would never shoot steel targets indoors, putty or soft backstops only.

From what I have read in the past, lead is worse for kids with developing brains. If so, Frankly is correct.

Not to say it is safe to do so, and now that we know better, shouldn’t we be more careful? As a boy, I shot mostly bbs, but I would keep pellets in my mouth while loading clips on several occasions..

I remember when some boys showed up with these in high school. The explanation I got for them back then was jaw dropping. 

"Got it – I used to run with a #2 pencil in my hand and never shot my eye out with my BB gun either! Still alive and able to see through a Hawke Vantage 6-24×44 scope clearly! "

No , you don't shoot your eye out, you shoot the other guy's eye out when you show them your new gun . 

Got a BB gun for Xmas , Grazed the side of my dads head . I had to look at that gun leaning next to the door for all spring till June till i could finally take it in my hands again . 

Powerful lesson . 

I see a number of people have replied to this thread. I don't know what a dangerous dosage of lead is even. I see people really worried about handling pellets. If you're that worried about lead poisoning maybe you should just leave off shooting? Honestly if you simply keep your hands out of your mouth at the bench and wash them before you eat your supper. Maybe refrain from picking your nose while you're shooting, you'll probably be just fine. 😏😉

Nothing like a little common sense, thanks OldCrow, says the kid that played with mercury, road a bicycle without a helmet, drank from a water hose and stayed out all day doing things that would have really upset my folks if they knew exactly what we did. We couldn't have imagined staying in the house playing video games with a cell phone as a baby sitter. Oh, the good ole days, wouldn't have changed a thing. Anyone in their late 50's to 60's can probably relate.

jking

The first 20 years being a dealership mechanic we all blew the asbestos into closed door work area and next 25 years a little more careful, definitely pinched sinkers on to fish lines with teeth, painted cars with only paper mask and now politicians has the whole world afraid of a flue virus, let me check if I'm still male , yup still ther, thank God.