• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lead Recovery Advice

I use a box filled with rubber mulch as a pellet stop. Looking for the best way to separate the pellets and rubber mulch so the lead can be reused/recycled. It would be easy if the rubber mulch floated, but it sinks in a water bath just like the lead pellets. Any tips, suggestions or advice?

I've been using 5 gallon buckets with rubber mulch for 6 or 7 years. I have to separate out the lead every couple months b/c the pellet traps get heavy.

Just shake em, lead goes to the bottom. Shake shake shake, remove the mulch from the top. Shake shake shake, remove the mulch from the top. After a couple times you're left with....lead, and tiny pieces of rubber mulch that'll burn off in the melting pot. Put the bulk of the mulch back in the bucket and your trap weighs 10# less!

No water, but I do use rubber gloves.

Once I've got the bulk of the mulch out, pouring the lead into a container is best done on a windy day. Most of the tiny pieces of mulch and paper and cardboard particles blow away.

Photos from clean outs, bout 4 or 5 months worth. I'm due again.
Screenshot_20240110-235951.png

Screenshot_20240111-000458.png

I've been using 5 gallon buckets with rubber mulch for 6 or 7 years. I have to separate out the lead every couple months b/c the pellet traps get heavy.

Just shake em, lead goes to the bottom. Shake shake shake, remove the mulch from the top. Shake shake shake, remove the mulch from the top. After a couple times you're left with....lead, and tiny pieces of rubber mulch that'll burn off in the melting pot. Put the bulk of the mulch back in the bucket and your trap weighs 10# less!

No water, but I do use rubber gloves.

Once I've got the bulk of the mulch out, pouring the lead into a container is best done on a windy day. Most of the tiny pieces of mulch and paper and cardboard particles blow away.

Photos from clean outs, bout 4 or 5 months worth. I'm due again.
View attachment 424185
View attachment 424186
Thanks - might be the best idea yet!