Lead Free Shooting Advice/Considerations

I'm currently shopping for my first PCP, and I'm planning on only shooting lead free ammunition for pesting (currently looking at .22s).

What are some of the things I should know about lead free pellets? I've read it is harder, so ricochets and penetration happens more frequently. I've also read that lighter ammunition needs lower power to keep it accurate/stable.

I've been trying to research the topic and have fallen down a rabbit hole reading about FPE/FPS/Tuning.

Any and all advice is welcome! I'll keep up my research on the side, just curious if anyone has experience with this. Thanks!

The Predator GTOs and H&N Baracuda Greens work well in my springers-I haven't tried them in any of my PCPs, I'll have to give them a try. Shop around for the best price you can find, they are pricey as tin is more expensive than lead.
From what I've read, they seem to perform well even at higher velocity, though I don't have personal experience on that.

Reactions: whatsapcp
Bought an H&N .22 Sampler Pellet Pack to explore potential preferred ammo for Benjamin Trail NP XL. Tried the Baracuda Green (12.96 grain) tin-alloy, lead-free. Loud crack from breaking sound barrier echoed thru woods alarming the locals. Needless to say, Baracuda Greens relegated to storage. WM
I've read other similar reports.

I'm in the position of buying a gun to fit the pellet, so hopefully can make an informed decision to avoid that kind of result! Thanks for the info

I've read other similar reports.

I'm in the position of buying a gun to fit the pellet, so hopefully can make an informed decision to avoid that kind of result! Thanks for the info
The "XL" in Benjamin Trail NP XL is used to differentiate the standard power NP (Nitro Piston) from the higher power NP XL. Agreed, as long as you stay away from high power models, you should be OK. H&N claims the Baracuda Green is "almost supersonic velocity" guess they didn't use an NP XL to test. WM

Here's the result of just a quick try with Predator GTOs in my FX Royale in .22.
It shoots 18.1 jsbs at 880 fps or so, didn't chronograph the GTOs. 6 shots at 30 yards on full power, pellets did not go supersonic.
20230201_165005.jpg
the lower group was shot on medium power, the light wind seemed to really open up the group.
Here's a couple shot at 50 yards.
20230201_165202.jpg
20230201_165207.jpg
I'd be ok using the GTOs for hunting out to 50 yards for hunting IF it wasn't too windy.
It started getting chilly so just a quick test. They show pretty decent accuracy IMO.

Reactions: whatsapcp
Here's the result of just a quick try with Predator GTOs in my FX Royale in .22.
It shoots 18.1 jsbs at 880 fps or so, didn't chronograph the GTOs. 6 shots at 30 yards on full power, pellets did not go supersonic.View attachment 328740the lower group was shot on medium power, the light wind seemed to really open up the group.
Here's a couple shot at 50 yards.
View attachment 328741View attachment 328742I'd be ok using the GTOs for hunting out to 50 yards for hunting IF it wasn't too windy.
It started getting chilly so just a quick test. They show pretty decent accuracy IMO.
Excellent report! Thank you for taking the time!