Lead free pest control.

Some while ago, my wife and I decided to do what we could to make my airgun hobby lead-free, to cut down on the lead and its by-products inside our home, as well as out in the wide, wild world, where lead pollution already is a huge problem. Since I shoot primarily with pumpers and CO2 airguns indoors, I don't have much trouble with the decision, other than the much higher cost, since finding lead free pellets suitable for indoor target shooting isn't that big a deal. Unfortunately however, that's not the case when it comes to pest control and/or hunting. On top of there just not being all that many choices when it comes lead-free pellets, they're all very light in weight, which at first blush might be seen as a big benefit. Sure, you'll get more distance and fps with lead free pellets (typically, that's what airgun manufacturers use to achieve the artifically high fps numbers they advertise, even when it means sacrificing any hope of real accuracy), but that light weight also means less whomp (fpe) on impact and penetration, if you're hunting small game or trying to eliminate pest animals, and that can be a problem. Aside from the lower energy, these faster, lower-weight pellets also can be apt to go right on through a critter, which isn't always a good thing. Yes, shot placement is always critical, especially when the goal is killing an animal as quickly and painlessly as possible, but even a great shot that goes straight through can mean a longer, drawn-out, painful death for the hapless target animal, which hopefully isn't what you're (ahem) shooting for. So, what to do? Just concentrate on perfect shot placement with lead free pellets and hope for the best, or forget your decision to be lead free altogether and go nuclear with a much heavier lead pellet for the job? A perfect head shot on something like a small rat or tiny, invasive bird species probably won't be much of a problem regardless of pellet weight, fps or total fpe, but as the size of an animal increases, so does the benefit of more impact energy, even with good shot placement. The choice of different weights and types of lead free pellets for even the most popular .177 and .22 caliber airguns already is incredibly limited, but what about bigger game? Imagine how bad things must be for medium and large game airgun hunters wanting to go lead free! So.. what lead free ammo in what caliber(s) are you using, or do you just forget even trying? What's a lead free wannabe to do? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Reactions: mh
You really have to work hard to poison yourself with lead. Adult humans fix (absorb and keep) very little of the lead and other heavy metals that they ingest. BBs are lead free, so they're an alternative.

One of the first things I learned as an environmental consultant is that it's a toxic world. Both lead and asbestos (among other toxic things) are mined from the ground, so they're everwhere. We have to accept that, minimize our exposure, and move on. Wash your hands after handling lead pellets and you'll be fine. If you're that concerned, have yourselves tested for elevated blood lead. Then you'll know whether that concern is justified.

Most of the contaminated sites designated as SuperFund eligible were battery factories. Funny how things come around again, huh?

Good luck,

J~

Lead is supposed to impair learning and slow down common sense decisions. From what I have saw in this world, it would appear that folks have been eating it daily !! As a retired teacher, I can say with authority that todays high school graduate could not pass a graduate test from the 70-80's !!
Back then there was far more lead being used and handled than there is today. Society has done far more to dumb down the education system than lead ever will. Follow common sense safe handling and you will have no issues.

For years I used to be a significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. However, since I now avoid dairy products and recycle my spent lead shots into bass bell sinkers, I'm confident to maintain shooting lead pellets for years to come.

Seriously, follow the money! I remember wearing a tee shirt back in the early 70's "Eat a beaver, save a tree".

Lead pollution is a huge problem? I don’t think so.

I oftentimes shoot in my backyard and will shoot into a target butt that collects the lead pellets, but I would never bother doing such a thing if I were out in the “wide, wild world”.

I’ve been handling lead pellets and casting bullets for decades with no ill effects.

It simply isn’t an issue. As others have pointed out, wash your hands after handling pellets and all will be well.

Some while ago, my wife and I decided to do what we could to make my airgun hobby lead-free, to cut down on the lead and its by-products inside our home, as well as out in the wide, wild world, where lead pollution already is a huge problem. Since I shoot primarily with pumpers and CO2 airguns indoors, I don't have much trouble with the decision, other than the much higher cost, since finding lead free pellets suitable for indoor target shooting isn't that big a deal. Unfortunately however, that's not the case when it comes to pest control and/or hunting. On top of there just not being all that many choices when it comes lead-free pellets, they're all very light in weight, which at first blush might be seen as a big benefit. Sure, you'll get more distance and fps with lead free pellets (typically, that's what airgun manufacturers use to achieve the artifically high fps numbers they advertise, even when it means sacrificing any hope of real accuracy), but that light weight also means less whomp (fpe) on impact and penetration, if you're hunting small game or trying to eliminate pest animals, and that can be a problem. Aside from the lower energy, these faster, lower-weight pellets also can be apt to go right on through a critter, which isn't always a good thing. Yes, shot placement is always critical, especially when the goal is killing an animal as quickly and painlessly as possible, but even a great shot that goes straight through can mean a longer, drawn-out, painful death for the hapless target animal, which hopefully isn't what you're (ahem) shooting for. So, what to do? Just concentrate on perfect shot placement with lead free pellets and hope for the best, or forget your decision to be lead free altogether and go nuclear with a much heavier lead pellet for the job? A perfect head shot on something like a small rat or tiny, invasive bird species probably won't be much of a problem regardless of pellet weight, fps or total fpe, but as the size of an animal increases, so does the benefit of more impact energy, even with good shot placement. The choice of different weights and types of lead free pellets for even the most popular .177 and .22 caliber airguns already is incredibly limited, but what about bigger game? Imagine how bad things must be for medium and large game airgun hunters wanting to go lead free! So.. what lead free ammo in what caliber(s) are you using, or do you just forget even trying? What's a lead free wannabe to do? What are your thoughts on the matter?
I am absolutely mystified by some of the responses I've read to my question. I had no hidden agenda behind bringing up this topic and never suggested anyone else should quit using lead pellets. I just decided to try to do what I could to make a small personal contribution to making our national wildlife (and my family) a little safer by NOT adding more lead to an already over-abundant supply. Hopefully, I'd also get some recommendations and suggestions for heavier lead-free (or other) pellets with which I'm not already familiar. Yes, I realize lead is all but ubiquitous in our natural environment and sure, it can be handled pretty safely, but just because its natural doesn't mean it isn't toxic and potentially dangerous, especially to wildlife. Nothing strange or controversial about that -- it's a fact. It's also a sad fact that some folks (me included, as a reckless kid) sometimes would shoot a critter multiple times with a low-powered pellet rifle that failed to bring it down, so it escaped. Unfortunately, what can happen then is the lead-filled, now gimped-up animal becomes even easier pickin's for the four-legged and winged predators that won't hesitate to take advantage of such easy meat, and they don't. They bring it home, where it ends up either in their own stomachs or that of the hungry young bobcat or baby eaglet to which it's fed. Put another way: Critter gets pumped full of lead. Critter gets nailed by predator. Predator and family eat critter. Predator, predator family members and possibly even scavanger(s) become ill and/or croak. Surviving sickly victim(s) adds damaged DNA to gene pool, and around it goes. Such a scenario is documented fact, and I'm not up to anything nefarious or mysterious by pointing it out -- it's just something that bothered me and mine enough to try lead free pellets. I'm not trying to create any "converts" here -- I just decided I could do something about a known problem and took steps to try and do it.

Actually, the one thing I really wanted to know -- what ammo other airgun enthusiasts were using for humane kills when trying to lessen the amount of lead being added to what's already out there -- hasn't produced any results at all. At this point, I'm more than about halfway sorry I even mentioned it. Wow...

I hear ya. My drinking water comes from a well on my property. I have some slight concern for lead in my water. Of larger concern to me is the potential requirement to remove lead from the yard when I try to sell, should the buyer test the soil for lead. So this is a very real, non-political concern for me. However, I chose a different path: I capture all my lead, EXCEPT when I am hunting or pesting. I am not out there sending 100s of pellets downrange during those activities. More like 1 or 2. I have no plans to switch to lead free ammo.

I am absolutely mystified by some of the responses I've read to my question. I had no hidden agenda behind bringing up this topic and never suggested anyone else should quit using lead pellets. I just decided to try to do what I could to make a small personal contribution to making our national wildlife (and my family) a little safer by NOT adding more lead to an already over-abundant supply. Hopefully, I'd also get some recommendations and suggestions for heavier lead-free (or other) pellets with which I'm not already familiar. Yes, I realize lead is all but ubiquitous in our natural environment and sure, it can be handled pretty safely, but just because its natural doesn't mean it isn't toxic and potentially dangerous, especially to wildlife. Nothing strange or controversial about that -- it's a fact. It's also a sad fact that some folks (me included, as a reckless kid) sometimes would shoot a critter multiple times with a low-powered pellet rifle that failed to bring it down, so it escaped. Unfortunately, what can happen then is the lead-filled, now gimped-up animal becomes even easier pickin's for the four-legged and winged predators that won't hesitate to take advantage of such easy meat, and they don't. They bring it home, where it ends up either in their own stomachs or that of the hungry young bobcat or baby eaglet to which it's fed. Put another way: Critter gets pumped full of lead. Critter gets nailed by predator. Predator and family eat critter. Predator, predator family members and possibly even scavanger(s) become ill and/or croak. Surviving sickly victim(s) adds damaged DNA to gene pool, and around it goes. Such a scenario is documented fact, and I'm not up to anything nefarious or mysterious by pointing it out -- it's just something that bothered me and mine enough to try lead free pellets. I'm not trying to create any "converts" here -- I just decided I could do something about a known problem and took steps to try and do it.

Actually, the one thing I really wanted to know -- what ammo other airgun enthusiasts were using for humane kills when trying to lessen the amount of lead being added to what's already out there -- hasn't produced any results at all. At this point, I'm more than about halfway sorry I even mentioned it. Wow...

In all seriousness, you seem to have spent some time considering your situation and have come to your opinion with some effort.
Unfortunately, there are no current alternatives to lead for small bore air guns and hunting small game that offer the lethality and minimized wounding that lead offers. There are some people who are trying all copper projectiles for big bores and hunting larger game.
Life can be really difficult at times and will offer us no compromised way out of our predicaments. You can either go one direction or another and both will have to be well defined with no squishy middle ground available for retreat.
Were I you, I would be looking for other shooting or outdoor activities to replace my air gunning. This is not a flippant, snarky or condescending suggestion. If you are passionate about air gun hunitng and shooting I see no way to continue without compromising your conscience or values.
Archery and fishing would be my first choices. Both can be pursued with minimal or no use of lead.
Personally, if I were plagued with your thoughts and concerns I would be bailing out of this sport without hesitation.

I don't think you're doing a bad thing, Bubba. A dollar of environmental prevention is worth a few hundred-thousand of remediation in the case of lead. The fact that environmental liability has been made retroactive doesn't help things. (That means that someone can show up and hand you a bill for something that you did legally sixty years ago.)

This is an excellent review of what was available lead-free a few years back. - https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/look-future-lead-free-pellets/

While I rarely ever shoot wildlife (aside from flies) these days, there are a few methods one could use to minimize the environmental impact of lead ammunition.

1 - A backstop for pellet recovery is something I've used in the past. Baiting was necessary to make that possible.

2 - Another option is recovery and disposal of the pellet-containing pest in question. I've always quickly double-bagged them (to prevent flea bite diseases) and then sent them on to the dump.

3 - Another thing that I did was to reverse wadcutters when shooting rats in the garage to prevent over-penetration. The pellets weren't quite as accurate backwards, but the results were quite spectacular.

4 - You could also just refuse to shoot wildlife in the first place. That would result in no lead being introduced into the environment at all.

Here's what DDG came up with for lead-free pellets. - https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=lead+free+pellets&ia=web

I recover and recycle all the pellets that I use. A friend uses the lead to cast bullets. Casting pellets from bismuth hasn't been explored as far as I know, but that may be another option.

Cheers,

J~

Edit - Apparently Crosman offers bismuth alloy pellets. Who knew?

Last edited:
If

If you really want to use lead free, the heaviest I know of in .22 are the zan 15gr slugs. I haven't seen anyone try then out or seen any videos but I also haven't searched for them. He also makes slugs for .25 coming in at 22gr and the .177 are 8gr. If you try these out, make sure you aren't using low power air rifles

Reactions: Treefrog
I don't think you're doing a bad thing, Bubba. A dollar of environmental prevention is worth a few hundred-thousand of remediation in the case of lead. The fact that environmental liability has been made retroactive doesn't help things. (That means that someone can show up and hand you a bill for something that you did legally sixty years ago.)

This is an excellent review of what was available lead-free a few years back. - https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/look-future-lead-free-pellets/

While I rarely ever shoot wildlife (aside from flies) these days, there are a few methods one could use to minimize the environmental impact of lead ammunition.

1 - A backstop for pellet recovery is something I've used in the past. Baiting was necessary to make that possible.

2 - Another option is recovery and disposal of the pellet-containing pest in question. I've always quickly double-bagged them (to prevent flea bite diseases) and then sent them on to the dump.

3 - Another thing that I did was to reverse wadcutters when shooting rats in the garage to prevent over-penetration. The pellets weren't quite as accurate backwards, but the results were quite spectacular.

4 - You could also just refuse to shoot wildlife in the first place. That would result in no lead being introduced into the environment at all.

Here's what DDG came up with for lead-free pellets. - https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=lead+free+pellets&ia=web

I recover and recycle all the pellets that I use. A friend uses the lead to cast bullets. Casting pellets from bismuth hasn't been explored as far as I know, but that may be another option.

Cheers,

J~

Edit - Apparently Crosman offers bismuth alloy pellets. Who knew?
Bismuth alloy pellets? That sounds so surreal

Lead shot has been illegal in many areas for ducks for years. Steel shot can be used and I think there are also bismuth shells. But neither works as well as lead.

I am not very nervous about lead but I shoot almost all my pellets into a home made pellet trap filled with rubber mulch. Periodically it gets pretty heavy and I separate the lead from the mulch and melt it down and make lead bars out of it. I'd like to recast it into pellets but my 2 25s do not like the pellets my one 25 caliber mold makes. I may turn my recycle lead into fishing sinkers. But if you shoot primarily into a trap I don't see why you need to worry about effects on the environment.

They are not lead free but my Prod likes H&N FTT copper coated pellets. The copper is electroplated so it is very thin and the rifling goes through it. But still a lot less lead is exposed where it could be transported in the environment. There are also copper plated Crosmans and possibly other brands.

In all seriousness, you seem to have spent some time considering your situation and have come to your opinion with some effort.
Unfortunately, there are no current alternatives to lead for small bore air guns and hunting small game that offer the lethality and minimized wounding that lead offers. There are some people who are trying all copper projectiles for big bores and hunting larger game.
Life can be really difficult at times and will offer us no compromised way out of our predicaments. You can either go one direction or another and both will have to be well defined with no squishy middle ground available for retreat.
Were I you, I would be looking for other shooting or outdoor activities to replace my air gunning. This is not a flippant, snarky or condescending suggestion. If you are passionate about air gun hunitng and shooting I see no way to continue without compromising your conscience or values.
Archery and fishing would be my first choices. Both can be pursued with minimal or no use of lead.
Personally, if I were plagued with your thoughts and concerns I would be bailing out of this sport without hesitation.

I agree.

An airgunner with an aversion to lead is akin to a fishermen with an aversion to hooks.

Some while ago, my wife and I decided to do what we could to make my airgun hobby lead-free, to cut down on the lead and its by-products ---snip---
I'll take a stab at discussing your questions. I too exclusively shoot unleaded at home, just for the simplicity of protocol, and perhaps the challenge. And while I'm favoring other methods to control pests besides shooting them, I like to keep it an option. Here are some observations:
1. Unleaded flies well only ~2/3 the distance of lead. So the 30 yard shots now have to be limited to 20 yards.
2. Unleaded pellets don't expand. Probably most lead pellets out of most people's guns don't expand in a pest either, but with unleaded it isn't even possible. Maybe if you shoot them backwards you can get some petalling of the skirt, but otherwise expect caliber-sized holes only. [Edit: yes they do expand when shot backwards even at moderate speed (~650fps for .25 Baracuda green), to about 1 caliber bigger!]
3. Those 2 demerits can be compensated for by using a larger caliber and higher power. So my .177 lead pellet only flies 30 yards, unleaded flies 20 yards, but a .22 unleaded can now fly 30 yards because it is heavier and has ballistics more like the .177 lead pellet. Of course that means I need a gun in the larger caliber with more power. And the bigger caliber ammo is more expensive.
4. .25 unleaded pellets, while high quality (at least the H&N Baracuda Greens and GTOs), are limited. If they just don't fit your gun then you're out of luck, unless you want to cast tin (pewter) pellets. For larger calibers casting is your only option. Which can be fun but is a separate hobby.
5. If you're super cheap, you can collect and re-shoot many of the unleaded pellets. Besides a few engraving marks, they tend not to deform much when shot into a softer target (box of rubber mulch or rags). Before I found how much fun it is to cast new pellets from recycled unleaded tin pellets, I would re-shoot at least half of them when practicing. Reuse, recycle, maaan! When it matters, I'd use fresh pellets.
This might be of interest:

Last edited: