Lead-free pellets - what are the cons?

GAMMA

Jan 30, 2020
CT
Hi, I am interested in lead free pellets since I will be shooting on my property which had a spring fed water system.

how would you rate a premium lead free pellet like an H&N vs a premium lead pellet in terms of:

accuracy (.22 or .25 at 50-75 yards)

knockdown power

wear and tear on rifle (barrel, etc)

I haven’t yet bought the rifle, so if any recommendations on good compatibility, would appreciate a rec there, too.

The only problem shooting GTO's is the cost is double the cost of a lead pellet. Accuracy is actually very good out to 45 yards, sometimes better than lead. At 55+ yds, the wind will cause trouble. Keeping them down to a reasonable speed helps though, so I keep them under 940 FPS myself. Just don't shoot them out of a 38 FPE setup and you will be fine. I like them best in .22 around 22 FPE or less. I shot my first AAHFT contest with the 11.7 gr GTO's and hit every 50 and 55 yd target. I missed a few 12 and 15 yd targets, but that's because I'm an idiot, not because of the pellets.

The BC for an AA 10.3 gr in .177 is .023 and is the gold standard for field target. The BC of the 11.7 gr GTO in .22 is also .023, yet it puts the internet in a panic when somebody mentions "alloy". On the plus side, the head sizes are very consistent and the skirts survive shipping well.