• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lead free pellets in FT

Hi all,
I was recently testing some pellets and ran some FTT Green 4.51 through my hw97. The results were surprisingly good, despite the fact that FTT Green are only recommended for PCP's. I haven't tested them at longer ranges, but i'd be surprised if they didn't open up more than lead pellets. Two questions for you, other comments welcome of course:

Has anyone used them successfully in FT?
How do they split, compared to a soft lead pellet? (IE Would they split, allowing a shred to get a knockdown, or do they just stay intact and drop/stick to the faceplate?

Thanks,
Ryan

I would think that if they shoot accurately then there would be no problem using them except that the targets farther out may not fall. I have never had as good of accuracy out of lead free tho so I suspect almost everyone would use lead. Im looking forward to hearing from field target guys about this tho because if they do use lead free and are successful with it I may buy some more and try them out again. I stopped using them years ago because of the decreased accuracy but it's possible technology has gotten better.

Not in .177 but .22 I tried/used HN greens and GTO’s in FT with a p-rod/carbine for about year. At 875, both were even shooting out to 36, the GTO’s really shined at 50 and the hn’s opened up too much for FT use so I stuck w GTO’s.I have no idea if being a 12” barrel had that much influence, but still keep that in consideration. No issues knocking over a target ( besides the shooter, he screws everything up) , but took off more target paint than lead pellets when impacting. Almost no misshaped or damaget pellets though. I would use .177 for FT pistol for sure at <12 fpe. When you get close to 19fpe though its like 1000 fps.

Last edited: