Lead free casting alloy

Looks awesome, please let us know how it goes. Especially with casting you will save yourself from the toxic fumes casting lead. I use to fish a lot and all the old lead jig/lure makers had rather short life span, it’s nasty stuff. If anything I would only swage lead but would be awesome to have unlimited leadfree pellets. Wonder if that stuff is soft enough for swage machines dies. 

Bismuth is way hard and brittle stuff. 

Lead werqs best and is only bad if ingested or breathed in. It is a very stable element and once it oxidizes slightly it does not even react with the environment. That is why they are still digging up bullets from the civil war.

There is way to much lead bashing going on these days.

If they can get rid of the lead they can get rid of our guns.

I think it would kill swagging dies very quick lead wire is very soft lead ,The dies used to swag do wear out , so add a hardness value of 3x into mix and cost of 6x more , it makes it not effective for the dies or a shooters wallet , and also if a pellet say in a 30fpe gun your pellet is a 22 cal and it weighed 18 grains with this alloy it would be same size and weigh like 11 grains , the alloys are like 40% lighter for 1 hing and like 4x harder so for a 12 gauge shotgun slug they ok if you are rich but i see 0 advantage for a airgun for price weight vs size to stabilize ammo and still be able to fit in your magisine , but who knows future they may make something down road heck they sell meatless hamburgers now and also john deer has tractors which drive with out a farmer and taxis man less so anything is possible but lead is king still ,

LOU

Bismuth is way hard and brittle stuff. 

Lead werqs best and is only bad if ingested or breathed in. It is a very stable element and once it oxidizes slightly it does not even react with the environment. That is why they are still digging up bullets from the civil war.

There is way to much lead bashing going on these days.

If they can get rid of the lead they can get rid of our guns.

Biohazardman has it right. Lead does get a bad rap. I’ve been casting bullets for years and the idea of lead fumes causing health issues is simply not true. In order for “fumes” to be an issue, you’d have to heat the lead way beyond its melting point and most of us wouldn’t have the equipment (or desire) to do such a thing anyway.

Don’t worry about something that’s not an issue. Wash your hands just as you would after handling lead pellets and you’ll be fine.

Thanks all for the input. TBH im relieved the subject of hard pellets and barrel damage hasn't formed. Was worried about that derailment. 

The selling point for me was the weight being close to lead, unlike GTO’’s or FTT Greens which are primarily Tin. 

Im definitely not motivated to do this bc of the dangers of lead ingestion or inhalation. Soldered enough electronics with lead/tin solder, no fan and my face smack on the board any damage has already been done. Just something i haven’t seen and figured id be a Guinea pig, put a barrel or two up for possible sacrifice. I’m still convinced though lead will see its day and sooner than we think, but not the topic for this thread. 

Anything to consider when casting at a lower temp? The molds i’ll use are already broken in for lead, think they should they be thoroughly cleaned prior? Would alternating between lead and the alloy have any effect on the mold ( not in the same session)? For instance, one week im casting lead and two weeks later i decide to cast this alloy using the same mold. 

Side note: “wash your hands” - why don’t airgun suppliers sell Lead-Off hand soap or an equivalent? Just a thought, might be a seller.

Again, thanks all for the input.