• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Lead free beaver harvest

65B8746C-95D3-4447-9BD2-B4AA2A1F93B1.jpeg076289A3-5196-484D-8156-E343175004FE.jpeg my dad was my driver this morning when we checked our 2 330 conibear traps and the good Lord provided us a 100% successful harvest. One of the 2 year old beavers was still alive and I used my 20 cal hw 90 to finish the job.

@fishing43 How many pounds of meat did you weigh per beaver? How do you cook the liver?
They were both yearling beavers ( last year’s) 25-30 pounds apiece. Heads , front and hind quarters, back straps, liver and kidneys are what I kept for my consumption. I didn’t weigh anything but a good guess is 15-20 pounds of what I consider eatable and some may keep more or less for personal use. Other parts are fed to my dog and she loves it. Everything not used is placed for the birds of prey and wild carnivores.I fry the liver, other parts are roasted or slow cooked. Very beefy tasting. People that have had a off taste with beaver meat probably contaminated it with the castor or oil glands during the skinning process.

I live on 10 acres in a rural area, 3 of which are flooded as part of a 50+ acre spring fed beaver pond.

Being a neighborly type of guy, I make a point of inviting a beaver to dinner a couple of times a year. 😁

The .22 caliber invitation to dinner is usually delivered by Panthera.
You have a steady supply of meat and what kind wild vegetables are in that environment?

You have a steady supply of meat and what kind wild vegetables are in that environment?
Lots of wild stuff to eat.

My property has a mix of pond, cedar bush, mixed hardwoods and open areas so there's different environments and a corresponding variety of plants, mushrooms and nuts available.

All kinds of critters, reptiles, amphibians, and over 60 species of birds here.

I don't hunt the deer (they all have names) but squirrels, rabbits, ducks, geese, grouse and turkeys are on the menu.

Fishing wise there's only dace and stickleback minnows in the pond but there's four lakes and three river systems within 30 minutes drive with dozens more within an hour.

Cheers!

Old guy once told me fried beaver tail and cat tail root salad was a good meal. Said the tail was very rich though. When I read the title and it said lead free, I was expecting a dynamited dam.
I’ve eaten beaver tail and it’s mostly fat and gristle. I didn’t find it appealing lol. But it would definitely provide lots of energy for the body.