Lead Free 30 cal?

Hey all,

New airgunner here looking to get a hatson 30 cal break barrel. I was wondering if anyone could point me to any lead free 30 cal pellets. I have looked around all over and even emailed some companies like H&N to ask if they will make 30 cal lead free pellets in the future with no luck. Is this just not a thing? I am interested in taking small game and do not wish to handle lead as I have gotten elevated lead levels from firearms in the past.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey all,

New airgunner here looking to get a hatson 30 cal break barrel. I was wondering if anyone could point me to any lead free 30 cal pellets. I have looked around all over and even emailed some companies like H&N to ask if they will make 30 cal lead free pellets in the future with no luck. Is this just not a thing? I am interested in taking small game and do not wish to handle lead as I have gotten elevated lead levels from firearms in the past.

Thanks!
Nope. Nothing available I've ever seen.

Reactions: ThornyGreenwood
Thorny,
Be aware tin alloy (lead-free) pellets can go supersonic, resulting in a .22 powder-burner like "crack." Tried some H&N Baracuda Green (12.96 grain) pellets in my Benjamin Trail NP XL .22 and had neighbors leaning out the windows asking who was illegally shooting a firearm in city limits. Word to the Wise, WM

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I saw some pellets I think pyramid air that I found unusual.. I think they were only 177 but it was non lead and plastic sabot.. got me to thinking about that old Farco 28 gauge/52 caliber CO2 shotgun I had.. I think I shot 454 lead ball in a 50 caliber plastic sabot.. just wondering why at least 22 and up someone doesn't make like a copper jacket and plastic sabot or even a steel bullet and plastic sabot.. just thinking about it I wonder if you got 223 jacketed ammo and maybe there's a 30 caliber sabot it just might work.. if not probably 357 could be done with black powder sabot and whatever you can find to fit in the middle.. I definitely see the advantage of lead free, but myself I think I would try to cross mix and match pb reload supplies and use plastic sabot and whatever caliber full jacket ammo to get the sizes right..
Mark

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I saw some pellets I think pyramid air that I found unusual.. I think they were only 177 but it was non lead and plastic sabot.. got me to thinking about that old Farco 28 gauge/52 caliber CO2 shotgun I had.. I think I shot 454 lead ball in a 50 caliber plastic sabot.. just wondering why at least 22 and up someone doesn't make like a copper jacket and plastic sabot or even a steel bullet and plastic sabot.. just thinking about it I wonder if you got 223 jacketed ammo and maybe there's a 30 caliber sabot it just might work.. if not probably 357 could be done with black powder sabot and whatever you can find to fit in the middle.. I definitely see the advantage of lead free, but myself I think I would try to cross mix and match pb reload supplies and use plastic sabot and whatever caliber full jacket ammo to get the sizes right..
Mark
Reds are .22
Orange .177
🎩🤙

20230430_153628.jpg

20230430_162109.jpg

Reactions: markhooper
Why do you think you need a .30 ? A .22 is plenty . Proof = powder .22 is 110 FPE with a .40 Grain projectile , you can easily cut that energy in half with Air and still effectively hunt small game . In the UK limit is under 12 FPE and they do great .
only reason I think about getting the umarex gauntlet 2 in 30 is for things like coon's and coyote, but only if have to.. seems like it has the best power/shot count.. I am curious how it does at 100 yards compared to 22 as far as accuracy too..
Mark

ok 22 guns I have.. how do they shoot compared to crossman premier and jsb?? do you like them and how far are they accurate to?
Mark
Oh I LOVE them! Depends on your slinger. But I've used them up to 45 yards with incrediblely great results
The gold I favor more over the orange bc the orange is a penetration based projectile(the orange sabot pops off at impact and transfers all that energy into a pencil lead sized tip*i havent shot those in months and i am STILL finding those dang sabots laying about my target area; if they werent bright orange they would just blend in); very accurate but pricey.
The reds are a game changer; I've literally reused them bc they pass through and drop right behind the critter in the ground unscathed.

20230430_152453.jpg

20221109_144500.jpg

Reactions: markhooper
Why do you think you need a .30 ? A .22 is plenty . Proof = powder .22 is 110 FPE with a .40 Grain projectile , you can easily cut that energy in half with Air and still effectively hunt small game . In the UK limit is under 12 FPE and they do great .
Honestly, I am not sure. My buddy told me that a 30 would be good if I wanted bigger things like turkey and maybe even small hogs? If its ethical to take those I would like to build up to that eventually.

Been a few years ago now, but had head shot a RACOON with the SKENCO brand .177 Orange body, small gold color sabot.
Shot as i recall was @ 15-18 yards. Coon died on the spot, tho in cleaning up the mess found the orange main body in the grass, it was barely deformed from the skull hit tho the sabot was missing. looking at the coons head where hit reveled the small @ 2mm hole made by the sabot ice picking threw the bone.

Not very accurate, but damn if wishing to punch threw bone with a small low energy sabot ... They do that pretty well.

Hi Thornygreenwood,
I have some NOE and other molds that I use to cast .30 pellets in tin metal. I'll be happy to send you some to try out; if you like them, buy a mold, pot and ladle and cast yourself! Casting pellets is certainly easier than shooting them accurately. I have the NOE "hunter" and "magnum" molded pellets, and .30 roundball, which shoot perfectly well from my Hatsan Mod130S out to 25 yards. Note that tin pellets are about 2/3 the mass of lead ones, and don't expand on impact, so maybe a "rule of lead-free thumb" might be to go a caliber higher than you would otherwise use in lead.

Hi Thornygreenwood,
I have some NOE and other molds that I use to cast .30 pellets in tin metal. I'll be happy to send you some to try out; if you like them, buy a mold, pot and ladle and cast yourself! Casting pellets is certainly easier than shooting them accurately. I have the NOE "hunter" and "magnum" molded pellets, and .30 roundball, which shoot perfectly well from my Hatsan Mod130S out to 25 yards. Note that tin pellets are about 2/3 the mass of lead ones, and don't expand on impact, so maybe a "rule of lead-free thumb" might be to go a caliber higher than you would otherwise use in lead.
Wow, that would be fantastic! Do you happen to know where I can pick those up if I like them?

Hey all,

Thanks!