• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lead and its impact on raptors

To bring this home. My girlfriend's brother was shot,the bullet was too close to his vitals to take out,he did live another 20 years before he died, cause, liver damage from lead poisoning...
I also lost a best friend from asbestos poisoning.
Sun radiation causes problems with our skin.37 doses of radiation have caused me problems, but I am alive and doing good.
Some things are relative, and some may not be, but when poisons hit home; You become more sensitive to them and the harm they can cause.

Reactions: L.Leon
I'm sorry your loved one was impacted by lead exposure. The little bit of research I've done, now, indicates in many cases lead will leave our bodies with urine or feces but if not, as would seem to be the case for a bullet, it is absorbed by the bones and hangs around.

I hope my comments do not create the impression that I think lead exposure is totally OK for people or animals. I do not think that. I think lead based paint has hurt many children and lead piping has too. I also accept that lead left in dead animals by hunters has hurt birds of prey. But I think the lead in dead animals can be at least reduced by measures other than banning lead projectiles (no more varmint bullets for big game and possibly non-lead projectiles in animals you intend to leave in the environment). I also think there needs to be a comparison of the benefit of a ban to the cost of a ban that I am not aware has occurred. I am still not worried at all by any trace amount of lead I get from dead game animals. I also think any change in lead level of the environment in general by a stray bullet or pellet falling to the ground is essentially neglible for nearly the entire planet. Backstops at shooting ranges and other high projectile areas would be an exception and that ground should be treated as hazardous waste IMHO. I am 100% against a decision to banish lead projectiles that relies on an emotional reaction to the observation of dead birds from eating lead. I don't think the bird deaths are trivial but we need to consider measures other than an outright bad and also the magnitude of the benefits versus the magnitude of the costs. For airguns it would make our sport much more challenging and potentially significantly less enjoyable. I don't want that to happen for a poorly considered action as appears to have happened in California.