• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Lead and its impact on raptors

I would hope we live in a world where hunting/pesting, and wildlife conservation go hand in hand. While my wife’s nature preserve denied the use of the food I offered, they continue to allow me to hunt/pest on the preserve to allow balance to the eco system. I’m a firm believer in the fact that humans have caused a lot of these populations to run out of control, and we as humans should be doing our part to bring balance back. This includes ethical hunting of species to bring their numbers back into balance. It also includes being mindful of our actions towards those species that can be harmed by what we do.
Hope? We do live in such a world, at least here in the USA… Hunting/hunters and conservation go hand in hand. We understand it’s because of hunters of the past and present that many wildlife game species are around at all. Hunting licenses, laws, seasons, bag limits, etc., are in place all across our great country.

I live and grew up in pa. When i was young i never saw a bald eagle. Jump ahead to my 50s and there eagles in abundance. Pa is 1 of the states with the largest amount of hunters. With all those people shooting animals ( which most get eaten by humans squirrels included) you would think the eagles wouldn’t stand a chance! Ive seen more eagles hit by cars swooping down for carrion probably than dieing from lead.

Moderator edit:. Political statement removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope? We do live in such a world, at least here in the USA… Hunting/hunters and conservation go hand in hand. We understand it’s because of hunters of the past and present that many wildlife game species are around at all. Hunting licenses, laws, seasons, bag limits, etc., are in place all across our great country.
Yet we call someone a troll when they try to point out a possible problem area that directly relates to us.

Reactions: whatsapcp
I live and grew up in pa. When i was young i never saw a bald eagle. Jump ahead to my 50s and there eagles in abundance. Pa is 1 of the states with the largest amount of hunters. With all those people shooting animals ( which most get eaten by humans squirrels included) you would think the eagles wouldn’t stand a chance! Ive seen more eagles hit by cars swooping down for carrion probably than dieing from lead.

Moderated content removed.

I’m guessing you’ve never researched the effects of DDT on the eagle population, and how it caused their numbers to become endangered.
maybe you should read up before accusing people of pushing an agenda. True it wasn’t lead, but it’s the cause you’re looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: qball
Cooler heads, folks. I think here in the US, many of us are tired of being preached to by whatever alphabet mafia has the microphone at the moment. Therefore, some folks tend to get riled up with comments. I dont think anyone disputes doing what we can to ensure local wildlife are kept safe. The problem (here at least in the US) is that whatever we do, it's never enough for some folks and the hypocrisy of it all is tiresome. I've been guilty of jumping to assumptions as well at times.

Not defending anyone here, just making an observation based on current climate.

I'll bow out now as I've no dog in this fight.

I’m guessing you’ve never researched the effects of DDT on the eagle population, and how it caused their numbers to become endangered.
maybe you should read up before accusing people of pushing an agenda. True it wasn’t lead, but it’s the cause you’re looking for.
Like the wrestling move?

Indeed lead from hunting has absolutely nothing to do with ddt. In this day and age ddt is no longer used which is why i had a political comment. Chasing after hunters about lead is not a really important issue in my mind perhaps you could try to eradicate plastics or stupid people that start wars or allow poorely maintained railroad tracks from causing catastrophic accidents mabe even support the people that would like to improve this country instead of tearing it down!

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Why is it that crows, magpies and buzzards seem to be immune to the horrific lead problem caused by hunters?
You bring up a very logical point. Please stop. 😉

Seriously..why do we never hear of lead affecting other carrion eating birds and mammals? Just CA Condors. I’m sure it’s because all the others are just so intelligent they eat around the lead. Uh huh..right.

Indeed lead from hunting has absolutely nothing to do with ddt. In this day and age ddt is no longer used which is why i had a political comment. Chasing after hunters about lead is not a really important issue in my mind perhaps you could try to eradicate plastics or stupid people that start wars or allow poorely maintained railroad tracks from causing catastrophic accidents mabe even support the people that would like to improve this country instead of tearing it down!
You brought up eagles, and their numbers increasing over your lifespan. You then tried to blame a political agenda against Lead being blamed for eagles low numbers. Your politics makes no sense. You’re making an issue out of a non issue. Banning of lead was nowhere in this thread, nor have I heard anything outside of California trying to an it. this is why politics is not aloud in this forum. For these EXACT types of responses. You spin things to make it sound like the worlds ending, instead of trying to give some worthwhile points to the post.

It would take many over time of course. In no way am I saying just a few squirrels would poison a raptor, but in a nature preserve, they’re a lot more sensitive to these things, and if over time it could cause harm to the birds they are providing sanctuary to, they won’t do it.
Shoot them in the head and remove the head, problem solved.

Smitty

You brought up eagles, and their numbers increasing over your lifespan. You then tried to blame a political agenda against Lead being blamed for eagles low numbers. Your politics makes no sense. You’re making an issue out of a non issue. Banning of lead was nowhere in this thread, nor have I heard anything outside of California trying to an it. this is why politics is not aloud in this forum. For these EXACT types of responses. You spin things to make it sound like the worlds ending, instead of trying to give some worthwhile points to the post.
I hate to tell you but the title of this thread is lead and its impact on raptors. Ive heard this before locally and there was a group pushing to try to ban lead because they claimed it was killing raptors. My politics has nothing to do with the stupidity of others except as far as some should learn to take their own advice before spouting to others. It was my and my parents complaints and medical problems that put a stop to ddt do you really think lead from hunting is comparable? I will say no more on the subject