• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

LCS SK-19 and H&N Field Target Trophy accuracy issue.

I bought some boxes of HN FTT 20,06gr for my LCS since JSB's are out of stock.

I found out they are all over the place. Even at 40 yards the are not grouping at all. Left, right, low,high. I have some JSB's (Mk1 heavy 33,95gr) left and they still perform well so it isn't the gun itself. The combination of pellet and gun is the issue.

I tried everything I can think of: speeds from 700-1.100 fps, inserting the pellets deeper in the magazine, polishing the inlet and crown, shooting without silencer, lower reg pressure, cleaning the barrel.

Nothing works. The pellets also make a whistling noise. Probably this is not normal with this pellet? So something is damaging the pellet. 

Any ideas?

Tomorrow I will try the modified FX superior liner in the LCS to see what happens then. With slugs this is no improvement. Maybe with this pellet it is...

IMG_20211018_141715.1650089428.jpg

My LCS-19 does not shoot any light pellets well at all, regardless of speed. It will shoot the 25.39 grain JSBs and FX pellets very well, anything lighter and they are all over the place. I've also never been real impressed with the performance of the H&N FFTs either. I know these are tough times with all the shortages, but I still try and stick with what I know works in my guns, and typically they are JSB, AA and FX pellets. Although, the H&N 18 grain domed pellets performed about as good as the 18 grain JSBs, AAs and FX pellets in my .22 cal rifles.

H&N FTTs in 25 caliber, 20.06 grain, are the favorite pellet of my Snow Peak P35. I just ordered 4 more tins. I have shot 3 shot groups at 25 yards as small as 1/8th inch. 1/4 inch groups are more typical. I slowed them down to about 850-875 depending on temperature. I had these pellets on hand when the P35 arrived because my 25 Avenger hates them. It likes about anything made by JSB, FX 25.4s seem to be it's favorite. My P35 does not like any JSBs but shoots heavies OK. My P35 also likes H&N Slug HPs in 34 grain, .250 diameter. Does not like Knockouts, Grizzlys or the Nielsens I've tried.

My Prod also loves copper plated H&N FTTs (22 caliber). So 2 of my 3 PCPs love FTTs and one hates them. My Prod shoots groups about the same size as the P35 and Avenger each shooting their favorite projectile.

I would love to know why guns like a particular pellet. At this point I accept that it is the case and test until I find something each new gun likes.

For a gun that likes JSBs it may help you find something by remembering that JSB makes many other pellets like FX and AA. They are not identical but my Avenger shoots JSB Kings in 25.39 about the same as FX 25.4s - FX slightly better.

Thanks for all the answers.

My polishing etc. did nothing for accuracy. Only around 680-700fps they seem to work a bit better.

I will try the FX barrel maybe later this weekend. It could be that the smooth twist is better for these light pellets. I also tried these pellets today in an Evanix Giant .25. They don't perform great either in that gun.

So for me no H&N anymore...