Tuning LCS Air Arms SK-19 (Regulator?) Problem

When I filled the gun last night it would not hold any air when I tried to remove the fill hose. When I released the pressure in fill hose air just kept leaking from the gun, back into fill hose, and then out of the fill hose release valve. In other words, the one-way valve in the gun did not close, so the only way to remove the hose was to just let the air keep leaking until bottle was empty. I noticed that regulator pressure also went to zero, which is a problem.

It was late and I was frustrated and bummed so I just went to bed. But today when I filled the gun, it held pressure just fine (250 bar). No problem removing the fill hose. I just released the air in the hose and removed it, and the gun held pressure like normal. Excellent, right? But then I noticed that the regulator pressure was super high. The reg pressure gauge was reading the same as the bottle gauge (250 bar). (Actually the reg gauge was reading a little higher than the bottle gauge but that's due to inconsistencies between the gauges.) I only filled the gun to 250 bar (that's what bottle gauge read anyway). Anyway, the regulator pressure (supposed to be 150 bar) was now the same as the bottle pressure (250 bar). Not good.

I was like what do I do now? I knew the reg pressure needed to come down but how without damaging the gun? I decided I would remove the bottle and then back out (unscrew) the regulator gauge a little to release the pressure slowly from the plenum. Well, releasing some air through the regulator gauge port turned out to be unnecessary; because, when I removed the bottle, air started slowly leaking out of the plenum through the port where the bottle screws on. I was hoping the air would stop leaking when the pressure in the plenum reached the pressure that the reg was set to, but it didn't. The air just kept leaking, getting faster and faster, until there was no air at all left in the plenum.

Hoping for a slim chance that this was all a fluke, I put the bottle back on. The reg pressure again matched the bottle pressure, and when I removed the bottle again the air just leaked from the gun/plenum until there was none left in it. Reg pressure now reading zero again. Pffft.. 

I'm super bummed to have spent $2000 dollars on a gun just to have it malfunction in a major way after only two fills. Neat...

Anyway, I called New England Air Guns (from where I bought the gun) and I'm waiting on a return phone call.

~Kirk

Perhaps the regulator manometer went cockoo like how some do after complete degass.

Hope you tried shooting for accuracy before posting this.

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately it isn't just manometer. The regulator manometer reads the same as the bottle manometer. Whatever pressure is in the bottle, from 250 down to zero and everything in between, the regulator gauge reads that same pressure. Both manometers are working.

I did not shoot the gun because I thought it would be a bad idea to shoot it when the reg pressure was reading way higher than the set pressure of 150 bar. And when reg pressure is 150 bar or below, the bottle pressure is also 150 bar or below, and therefore technically "off the reg".

Thanks, Kirk

How did you resolve the regulator issue? I purchased a brand new SPK 19 from Airguns of Arizona and had to send it back for a regulator revealed I didn’t even get to four magazines through before it stop taking air actually it was leaking near the regulator with that black block he’s located at a hose to foster feeding. The foster pitting was not leaking The part deck next to the rifle was

It's working fine now so far, despite misdiagnosis by the airgun tech.

I regret spending so much money for a gun and then just a few months later having to pay $70 more dollars to ship it in to get it fixed.

Unfortunately I did not have a very good experience with Precision Airgun Distribution. The tech guy added a snotty, condescending note to my service ticket accusing me of adjusting the regulator pressure above 250 bar, and said something above violating the warranty!!

Reg pressure above 250 bar?? If we're not afraid too touch regulator adjustment I would turn it DOWN, not up. I live in a subdivision with neighbors close by. I'm shooting Polymags, and I remove the ballistic tip, to reduce penetration and down-range energy. I certainly am not interested in pushing this guns performance.

If the tech inspected my gun and determined the problem to be I cranked the reg too high, then he is a very poor problem solver and does not know how to diagnose problems with airguns. If he thinks the malfunction is caused by me adjusting the reg too high, then I am concerned that he failed to find what actually caused the gun to fail in the first place so I'm a little concerned it's going to happen again, and according to the tech chump, they might not cover it under warranty next time.

The owner/manager of Precision Airgun Distribution called me a couple of weeks later to follow up on how my gun was doing and I referred him to the note the tech put on the service ticket. He apologized and assured me I would be taken care of if something else went wrong with the gun. That was a relief.