• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Latest RW HP Reprogramming Results

I've reprogrammed my .22 RW High Power (HP) several times in the last two weeks. JSB Jumbo Monsters (redesigned) were going downrange at 933 FPS with factory settings, while the Jumbo Beasts were averaging 816.3 FPS. As of this morning Monsters and Beasts are running averages of 970 FPS and 856 FPS respectively.

For people with Daystate programmers, I'm slowly changing pellet velocity by incrementally increasing "Pulse Length" by only 100 units at a time.

The range was experiencing a quartering headwind from the right varying from 15 to 20 MPH this morning. Thus, the best ten shot group I could get with Monsters was .278 inches (7.06 mm) C.T.C. at 25 yards.

Note that I've used 25 yards as my baseline target distance for comparison results until now. I figure if it groups good at 25 it will group nicley at further distances, but that is yet to be determined.

A summary of chronograph data follows.

Jumbo Monster (redesigned):

Maximum 973 FPS

Minimum 964 FPS

Average 970 FPS (295.65 MPS)

Standard Deviation 2.6

Ft/lbs 53.06

A picture of three Jumbo Monster groups shot in heavy winds today is shown at the end of this post (since there is no credible proof without a target, or so I’m told).

Jumbo Beast:

Max 861 FPS

Min 852 FPS

Avg 856 FPS (260.9 MPS)

Standard Deviation 2.4

A Benchrest match is coming up this Sunday. I’m really a springer guy so I’ll shoot my Walther LGV at 25 meters. I’ll then switch to my RW HP for either a 75 yard or 100 yard match. Afterword I’ll evaluate whether or not to program more changes (to the RW since I have not yet found the interface connection to my LGV spring). Of course, it might be best to hold off on any changes till I see how the gun performs next week at a 77 and 100 meter metallic silhouette match with 1/5th size targets.

I’d like to try Monsters at up to 990 FPS, maybe even 1000 FPS. I’m not sure whether or not I’ll do anything more with the Beasts since I’ve been told accuracy falls off at 50 yards when fired from a RW HP. I don’t however; know if the claim is true or false.

Feel free to share your thoughts and RW HP results regarding pellet velocities because us simple spring gun guys need the help.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B. 

1540000798_14463363345bca8c1e1f1d01.29954589_25 Yards 19 oct.jpg

@other_mark_b

I've done loads of testing & found the optimum velocity vs shot count vs accuracy for the redesigns to be 940fps. 250b-180b for 45 shots.

I found that increasing the velocity beyond that resulted in: lower shot count, higher ES, severe barrel fouling, & decreased accuracy. 

Just my $.02

Hey Mark... thanks for the update. I haven't done any programming on my RW .22HP, but I have a chrony pro inbound, so at least I'll be able to get some baseline numbers with my RW... for now. I appreciate your shared info!

Please share chronograph results here once your device arrives. Every barrel is different but getting an idea as to the range of "best" pellet speeds saves everyone time and effort.

Best wishes

The other Mark B

Ok, silly question, Where did you get the programmer?

My LabRadar came in yesterday and I'll be taking the Wolf for a walk this weekend.

Smitty

I got my programmer from Airguns of Arizona. I've seen at least one other Red Wolf vendor who listed the devices on his website. Unfortunately, I can't remeber which site - although the vendor may have been in Florida.

Best wishes

The other Mark B.

@other_mark_b

I've done loads of testing & found the optimum velocity vs shot count vs accuracy for the redesigns to be 940fps. 250b-180b for 45 shots.

I found that increasing the velocity beyond that resulted in: lower shot count, higher ES, severe barrel fouling, & decreased accuracy. 

Just my $.02

Great news and thank you!! 

I need to first lock in shot count at the current settings as well as group sizes so I can make a sound comparison. My poor methodology so far has been to focus on velocity and group size only. Duh. Shot count is important to a balanced velocity tune.

On a more positive note I know almost exactly the programming value needed to drop my RW velocity to 950 FPS so 940 should require only a little experimentation. Fortunately, I've been incrementing the pulse length value by 100 each time I make a change and that has kept the process manageable and comfortable for me. .

I'll share the data I come up with.

Best wishes

The other Mark B.