• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Latest Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I could do such a comparison the next time I do a round of tests. I doubt it will go well for the Amazon meter, though. Their sample rates are way too low. They don’t publish the spec for that, but I would think it is 10Hz or less.
We'll see. If the amazon meter is 98% accurate the price delta isn't worth it. You also have to consider what noise that can't be controlled: The impact at the target, and when that target crashes to the ground. I can clearly hear the impact of a slug at 70 yards.
Here are two 3D LDCs that I own. An STO Pilum and Mamba. The STO is an old design, but very effective. Have only tried it on a DAR gen. 3.
Have not tried the Mamba, but I'm sure it will do fine. I will be conducting a dB test soon on these LDCs.
The limit I'd place on the STO is 35FPE in .22, and 70FPE in .30 for the mamba.
The future of 3D printing for LDCs and adapters is very bright. Especially for adapters. For those of you have large collections, you know exactly what I'm talking about regarding thread pitch hell.

20240222_130502_resized.jpg

20240222_130530_resized.jpg

20240222_130541_resized.jpg

We'll see. If the amazon meter is 98% accurate the price delta isn't worth it. You also have to consider what noise that can't be controlled: The impact at the target, and when that target crashes to the ground. I can clearly hear the impact of a slug at 70 yards.
Here are two 3D LDCs that I own. An STO Pilum and Mamba. The STO is an old design, but very effective. Have only tried it on a DAR gen. 3.
Have not tried the Mamba, but I'm sure it will do fine. I will be conducting a dB test soon on these LDCs.
The limit I'd place on the STO is 35FPE in .22, and 70FPE in .30 for the mamba.
The future of 3D printing for LDCs and adapters is very bright. Especially for adapters. For those of you have large collections, you know exactly what I'm talking about regarding thread pitch hell.

View attachment 438320

View attachment 438321

View attachment 438322

Completely agree. There's a lot more that goes into the quietness of our shots than just the mod. For me, I just like to test the mods themselves to ensure that the mods I choose are as quiet as can be in order to take that out of the equation. I do find that to be beneficial when hunting.

As for the amazon meters being 98% as accurate as doing analysis of high quality recordings, that is simply not the case, IMO. Not even close. I have not done tests comparing the two, but I will at some point. My guess, having experience with both methods, is that the cheap dB meters typically have SDs in the neighborhood of 2-5 dB between readings in the SPL scale (that's huge), whereas my analysis methods typically see SDs of 0.1 to 0.2 dB in the f scale. They are simply on different planets when comparing the accuracy. It all comes down to the sample rates. This is why you will see such large deviations with the cheaper dB meters. Their "listening" intervals are far too long to collect reliable data.

But if it works for you and meets your testing objectives, that is all that matters.

If you want to discuss meters, I'll be more than happy to talk that with you in a thread you start.
We have trashed this man's thread to pieces and that just ain't right.
That Mamba is looking rough. I thought I cleaned it up before I shipped it. That's the one off my Condor, right?
I'll create a new thread on meters when I have enough data.
I'm not sure how we have trashed this man's thread. It's been on-topic and constructive, unless he wants to keep it completely show and tell with your LDC being mysterious.
The Mamba is exactly how I received it. This is the one off the condor, and I have not used it. The phone picked up pitting, probably inherent to printing with a resin printer. In reality it looks just fine.

We'll see. If the amazon meter is 98% accurate the price delta isn't worth it.
You have to remember the difference between sensitivity and specificity and what they mean to something like "accuracy" - the Amazon meter could be "accurate" 98% of the time, but inaccurate 100% of the time in this particular use case . . . . "accuracy" here on it's own is pretty useless here.

Status
Not open for further replies.