Huben Latest GK1 practical accuracy testing

Having now owned and tested my first-gen Huben GK1 .22 semi-auto pistol long enough to conclude it averages 1.4 - 1.5" center-to-center nineteen-shot/full-magazine groups at 50 yards from bench-rest when topped with a 16X rifle scope, I switched to a Leupold red-dot sight to explore more practical applications and accuracy potentials from this actual air PISTOL. Truly a handgun, and of phenomenal power, it is a handgun hunter's dream pistol.

Having stated many times that non-magnifying dot-sights are the most practical sighting system for most handgunning pursuits and scenarios, the GK1 WONDER-PISTOL well demonstrates the reasons for that opinion.

After tuning it for the best power-band at 300-310 BAR fill pressure, I then plotted the best trajectory chart for handgun distances with 18.1 grain JSBs at 930 FPS/35 foot pounds.:oops: :D When zeroed at 40 yards, trajectory is a non-issue from 10 to 45 yards; as point-of-impact is within 3/8" of point-of-aim at those handgun distances. For perspective, 3/8" falls within the smallest targets any handgunner on Earth will engage with any pistol. Example- a SQUIRREL'S BRAIN!

In fact, the 3 MOA dot obscures roughly the same target area as the gun is capable of always hitting; 3/4" at 25 yards, 1.5" at 50, etcetera. That, and the previous paragraph being so, it was time to explore the dot-sighted GK1's accuracy potentials at the chosen 40 yard zero distance. G-Whiz sighted in beautifully!

From sand-bagged bench-rest three consecutive five-shot groups averaged .83" center-to center in medium left-to-right crosswinds. The first group (in red) printed 1.12", well-centered to point-of-aim. But to move the poi slightly right in response to the crosswinds, I gave the windage turret one click adjustment to the right. The second group (in gray) went right where I wanted it to print (slightly right). After marking that group and having dialed in not only my zero, but my technique and concentration, the third group (in green) landed inside the previous... and measured just 1/2" c-t-c.

1709143459737.png

Interestingly enough, if not for the windage adjustment all 15 shots would have gone into the original 1.12" group; which translates almost exactly to G-Whiz's accuracy potentials with benefits of 16X magnification. Which brings us to another statement I've made several times; that being dot sights can closely approach actual accuracy potentials IF SHOT AT THE RIGHT TARGET. "The right target" is one that allows the dot to be (seen) well-centered in the aiming spot; aiming spots like properly-sized circles, and squirrels' brain-pans. For all intents and purposes G-Whiz wearing a dot-sight is a handgun hunter's perfect air pistol; a statement I intend to explore beyond small game.

A pack of coyotes has lately been getting all too comfortable on my 30 acre place; so much so as to be making incursions into my back-yard some nights. Suffice to say I'm keeping G-Whiz well charged, fully loaded, and close 'at hand'.

I keep having to repurpose my other guns because this wonder pistol out shoots them, doesn’t need cocking and is so easy to pick up and use.
I know what you mean. I have 3 gk1s ( 2 are rifles & one is going to be a pistol) now & am looking at great rifles hanging on the wall, that I am not sure if I will even use again. It is the darndest thing I have seen in air gunning in 50 years in this hobby. I am always showing my friends my air rifles & now when they shoot these gk1s, they freak out.

I know what you mean. I have 3 gk1s ( 2 are rifles & one is going to be a pistol) now & am looking at great rifles hanging on the wall, that I am not sure if I will even use again. It is the darndest thing I have seen in air gunning in 50 years in this hobby. I am always showing my friends my air rifles & now when they shoot these gk1s, they freak out.
Same here...one has become a permanent pest patrol fixture by the back door. Dang thing is just ready to go and gets the job done!

Plus, how fun is it to trigger slap at a piece of steel at 50y and hear nothing but ting-ting-ting-ting-ting... 🥳

I am now confident in taking shots out to 80y in pistol config with a bugbuster and GTOs. The front of the air tube is on one rice bag and the butt on another. I then use my off hand, just behind the front bag to pull the air tube down into the bag. I don’t think I need a stock at this point. I attached a laser to @subscriber’s oval mod to allow me to nix rats from the hip while walking around my chicken coop.

IMG_0768.jpeg

I cannot fathom a better pesting/plinking rig and with the active shroud and oval, I have no fear of upsetting anyone. In fact, my neighbor now has one on order. Meanwhile my Krait, Katran and Prod pellet guns collect dust and my L2 was converted to a longer range 177 slugger. Still, I tend to pick up the GK1 over the L2 because the L2 trigger pull is so long that rats can move in the time between initiation of the pull and completion. The GK1 is (comparatively) instantaneous. All things considered, it’s a bargain at $1250.

Add the Caiman, Leshiy 1 and Huben K1 .22 to the list of obsolete. I’d simply forgotten about them.

Having now owned and tested my first-gen Huben GK1 .22 semi-auto pistol long enough to conclude it averages 1.4 - 1.5" center-to-center nineteen-shot/full-magazine groups at 50 yards from bench-rest when topped with a 16X rifle scope, I switched to a Leupold red-dot sight to explore more practical applications and accuracy potentials from this actual air PISTOL. Truly a handgun, and of phenomenal power, it is a handgun hunter's dream pistol.

Having stated many times that non-magnifying dot-sights are the most practical sighting system for most handgunning pursuits and scenarios, the GK1 WONDER-PISTOL well demonstrates the reasons for that opinion.

After tuning it for the best power-band at 300-310 BAR fill pressure, I then plotted the best trajectory chart for handgun distances with 18.1 grain JSBs at 930 FPS/35 foot pounds.:oops: :D When zeroed at 40 yards, trajectory is a non-issue from 10 to 45 yards; as point-of-impact is within 3/8" of point-of-aim at those handgun distances. For perspective, 3/8" falls within the smallest targets any handgunner on Earth will engage with any pistol. Example- a SQUIRREL'S BRAIN!

In fact, the 3 MOA dot obscures roughly the same target area as the gun is capable of always hitting; 3/4" at 25 yards, 1.5" at 50, etcetera. That, and the previous paragraph being so, it was time to explore the dot-sighted GK1's accuracy potentials at the chosen 40 yard zero distance. G-Whiz sighted in beautifully!

From sand-bagged bench-rest three consecutive five-shot groups averaged .83" center-to center in medium left-to-right crosswinds. The first group (in red) printed 1.12", well-centered to point-of-aim. But to move the poi slightly right in response to the crosswinds, I gave the windage turret one click adjustment to the right. The second group (in gray) went right where I wanted it to print (slightly right). After marking that group and having dialed in not only my zero, but my technique and concentration, the third group (in green) landed inside the previous... and measured just 1/2" c-t-c.

View attachment 440512

Interestingly enough, if not for the windage adjustment all 15 shots would have gone into the original 1.12" group; which translates almost exactly to G-Whiz's accuracy potentials with benefits of 16X magnification. Which brings us to another statement I've made several times; that being dot sights can closely approach actual accuracy potentials IF SHOT AT THE RIGHT TARGET. "The right target" is one that allows the dot to be (seen) well-centered in the aiming spot; aiming spots like properly-sized circles, and squirrels' brain-pans. For all intents and purposes G-Whiz wearing a dot-sight is a handgun hunter's perfect air pistol; a statement I intend to explore beyond small game.

A pack of coyotes has lately been getting all too comfortable on my 30 acre place; so much so as to be making incursions into my back-yard some nights. Suffice to say I'm keeping G-Whiz well charged, fully loaded, and close 'at hand'.

That is awesome shooting at 40 yards! I too am amazed and with the semi-auto ability I was hitting the bullseye easily but almost all shooting rounds since we were at the range I was rapid firing the pistol unloading the entire 17 shots very fast which is so much fun yet still was on target. I did not have the control to go slow and try to group super tight as I was introducing a friend whom is an avid powder burner to airgun technology so I wanted to whiz thru my turn quickly to let him shoot. We both ended up shooting more on a fast pace to rapid fire which was so much fun and something not available with most all other pistol options. I guess when I have more time and control I should slow it down to improve my grouping but it is so much fun to unload the GK1 with rapid fire! If I was doing pest control shooting rats you could just take quick aim and then just rapid fire as you can get the full magazine within say 2-3.5" groups in 25 yards easily and probably some you could do so at longer distances ;)

I am now confident in taking shots out to 80y in pistol config with a bugbuster and GTOs. The front of the air tube is on one rice bag and the butt on another. I then use my off hand, just behind the front bag to pull the air tube down into the bag. I don’t think I need a stock at this point. I attached a laser to @subscriber’s oval mod to allow me to nix rats from the hip while walking around my chicken coop.

View attachment 440813

I cannot fathom a better pesting/plinking rig and with the active shroud and oval, I have no fear of upsetting anyone. In fact, my neighbor now has one on order. Meanwhile my Krait, Katran and Prod pellet guns collect dust and my L2 was converted to a longer range 177 slugger. Still, I tend to pick up the GK1 over the L2 because the L2 trigger pull is so long that rats can move in the time between initiation of the pull and completion. The GK1 is (comparatively) instantaneous. All things considered, it’s a bargain at $1250.

Add the Caiman, Leshiy 1 and Huben K1 .22 to the list of obsolete. I’d simply forgotten about them.
I like what you did with the laser!

I need to finish this blankity-blank-(insert plea for more time) thing up as I have one of those undermount light/laser combo things waiting for use.

1000011454.jpg

I wasn't looking for a new pcp but you guys are making it tough. The only reason I haven't ordered one is the 5000psi fill . . All my pcps are 3600psi and lower . Even my cheap compressors last a while. How does it do with lighter pellets and a lower fill ?

For the guys who hand pump , ever keep track of how many pumps to fill from 2200 psi to 4000 psi . Or what's your sweet spot for the heavy slugs or lighter pellets.? Thanks .

Reactions: M0ist0ne
I wasn't looking for a new pcp but you guys are making it tough. The only reason I haven't ordered one is the 5000psi fill . . All my pcps are 3600psi and lower . Even my cheap compressors last a while. How does it do with lighter pellets and a lower fill ?

For the guys who hand pump , ever keep track of how many pumps to fill from 2200 psi to 4000 psi . Or what's your sweet spot for the heavy slugs or lighter pellets.? Thanks .
I use a tank that’s rarely above 260bar. Look up my posts “weevil GTO” to see how well lightweight GTO pellets are doing. As I said above, I shoot them out to 80y. There’s no rationalization to escape buying one!!!

View attachment 440512

now your next FT pistol fast draw cowboy matches ?

• Haha
Reactions: longdog

Absolutely no necessity to fill to 5000 psi if you don't want, I fill to 3800 psi, and handpumping is a breeze, very very fast faster then my boss GX CS4 compressor.

Reactions: Headshots
I can truly relate to what you said. Im 62 and ive been airgunning since i was around 9 or 10 when i got my first airgun. Of course the Red Ryder. I have limited memories of the first day out back in the snow on Christmas. Ive never seen or heard or held a airgun, especially a pistol that has impressed me as much. (except maybe that Red Ryder lol) All my other pcp's and springers sit in the gun cabinet now alot more.

David