Last night's Rat/ Jumping Jack Flash

I have lived in 3 different large metropolitan cities in the USA and have seen rats in the backyards of all of them. My cats bring me presents of young dead rats regularly and I see them (rats) running on the phone lines at dusk. The rats and squirrels love a neighbors avocado tree. Unfortunately I can't shoot them due to laws against shooting pellet and BB guns within city limits and the likelihood of a neighbor complaining to the police. Ahhh, the joys of civilization.

Just where does 1 live that they have rats in there yard. The only time I ever saw them was on a farm.

My friend lives on a small lot in a Rural area with lots of fruit and nut trees, plus he has the chicken coop, so all the Rats in the area come to his place to feed, there were some Rats in trees, but I couldn't see them, but I could hear them.

Just where does 1 live that they have rats in there yard. The only time I ever saw them was on a farm.

Fruit trees are rodent magnets. I’ve had em come in the yard during the fall searching for dried fruit beneath fallen foliage; acorns too. When chickens are regularly fed they tend to shake their heads and peck vigorously (with beaks in the feeder) when eating milled or grain feed often sending feed granules flying to the ground. This attracts rodents. I imagine city rodents and other scavengers are attracted to trash. A lot of folks keep trash cans in their back yards or on the side of the house. So I can’t see how one wouldn’t have rodents in their yard at some point. They aren’t hanging around waiting for you to see them. 

Fruit trees are rodent magnets. I’ve had em come in the yard during the fall searching for dried fruit beneath fallen foliage; acorns too. When chickens are regularly fed they tend to shake their heads and peck vigorously (with beaks in the feeder) when eating milled or grain feed often sending feed granules flying to the ground. This attracts rodents. I imagine city rodents and other scavengers are attracted to trash. A lot of folks keep trash cans in their back yards or on the side of the house. So I can’t see how one wouldn’t have rodents in their yard at some point. They aren’t hanging around waiting for you to see them.

Agreed 100%. Fruit trees will attract them, dense hedges will hide them, and concrete fences are their highways. They will also scale your stucco walls/trees touching your house and live inside your attic. 

Kevin! Great shot and video on that ballerina of a rattus!…did ya notice the second rat to the left in the video?

Yes I did Randall, I was hoping it would go to the PB to get a shot off on it, but it freaked out and ran with the one I shot, going back tonight, hope to get a few more. :)

Good luck! Hope you get MANY!