• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Laser Sights — Cool in the Movies — How about for Airgunning?

Lasers are for flat shooting bullets close range, that doesn't include pellets, I could use a laser on my .17HMR out to 125 yards there isn't much deviation in that distance . A pellet would arch like crazy.. I've thought about putting a laser or red dot on one of my airguns for really close range stuff, 10 - 15 yards, when my gopher reappears in the spring.

No conventional sight is accurate at the end of the barrel. I have developed a non-conventional sight that is accurate at 0 yards and is a speed-based sight. In an air gun platform of .177 pellet @ 620 fps muzzle velocity, I can shoot flies from 1 yard to beyond 10 yards. You don't need a salt shotgun to shoot flies anymore. The .17 HMR can be set up to hold +/- 1/8" arc from 0 to 50 yards. That is a 1/4" total variation with no hold over or under that is capable of hitting a squirrel in the eye at any yardage from 0 yards out to 50 yards. Some of the good shooters on this site have hit around the concepts that I have been fortunate to patent. I have been working on this project for over 5 Years. I have learned a lot from these good shooters here and have already used some of their good tips. I have not marketed anything yet. When an idea can do what I know this idea can do (and I have some of this on video as support data), I know it has high sport value to the shooting community. It is impressive to watch very young kids shoot extremely accurate at close range. Until I stumbled onto this website, it was difficult to locate and talk with like-minded shooters. I know many of my comments will be questioned and that is good. I look forward to the challenge and good discussions. I have many more ideas for this sport and prototypes already made, but I want to see how members react to some of what I have said.

I've used a laser shooting rats at night on a farm that has a real problem with them. I have a crosman vigilante that has just enough horsepower within 10 yds, with wad cutters, to kill a rat cleanly. The problem with the laser is you get so focused on trigger pull and where the laser is, sometimes you don't quite snap the shot off like you would have with iron sights or a scope. This is of course talking about shooting within a very short period.. I find iron sights to be superior when aiming at an animal that could be moving or moving quite soon when you first acquire it. The laser draws your eyes to where it is and not always to where you need your aim to be.

Reactions: MRaccurate
I have to ask at what distance is precision shooting done at. Using conventional theory with lasers gave me the same results as others have had. I had to go to an unconventional theory to get better results. Close range for new shooters is typically from 0-20 yards. Conventional sights are not usually tuned for "near zero" less than 20yards. There are not many scopes that have a vertical offset less than 1.5". At 5 yards, the POI is over 1" low. This theory has solutions for these issues. I have used this sight out to100 yards with good success. Laser dots are +6" in diameter at that distance, if you can see them at all. I have had a lot of challenges to overcome while developing this sight. I have always said that this first-generation sight is an educational and training sight. It is excellent for new shooters to learn and acquire their first skill at targeting. The reason I am doing this is I have seen many times that a new shooter tries and does not do well shooting. Many times, they think that they don't have the skills to become good enough to continue or compete. And many never try again. The shooting community is shrinking due to a variety of reasons. I am trying to give the low-cost air guns back to the younger generation. Many seasoned shooters don't need a sight that offers these solutions. I have plans that will get this sight on the market. I have to laugh at myself when I think about what people spend on their equipment and how I have spent +60K on an idea. I may be the crazy one after all. Thanks for the input.

I've used a laser shooting rats at night on a farm that has a real problem with them. I have a crosman vigilante that has just enough horsepower within 10 yds, with wad cutters, to kill a rat cleanly. The problem with the laser is you get so focused on trigger pull and where the laser is, sometimes you don't quite snap the shot off like you would have with iron sights or a scope. This is of course talking about shooting within a very short period.. I find iron sights to be superior when aiming at an animal that could be moving or moving quite soon when you first acquire it. The laser draws your eyes to where it is and not always to where you need your aim to be.
I have had similar results with lasers mesmerizing me. One thing that helped me for free hand is to pull the trigger while I do a passthrough of the target, similar to follow through during skeet shooting.

I view lasers in a more self defense type application which airguns generally do not fit into.
I imagine that there are companies that are designing big bore air pistols for close range self-defense right now! Who would want to get smacked with a 50Cal anything at 600 FPS or a full auto BB magazine to the face at 400 FPS. Not me. I would place a sizable bet on that when I go to the Shot Show tomorrow. Don't encourage me to think along these lines. I tend to get into enough trouble without any help. Have a great day and keep posting.

I imagine that there are companies that are designing big bore air pistols for close range self-defense right now! Who would want to get smacked with a 50Cal anything at 600 FPS or a full auto BB magazine to the face at 400 FPS. Not me. I would place a sizable bet on that when I go to the Shot Show tomorrow. Don't encourage me to think along these lines. I tend to get into enough trouble without any help. Have a great day and keep posting.
All I can say as this site is highly regulated is while you are correct I have tools that are not allowed to be mentioned that are much more reliable and effective at self defense scenarios. I would never purchase an airgun to fill that role.

Reactions: MRaccurate
Wow, that's surprising, or... confusing. (To me, remember, I'm pretty ignorant about lasers, that's why I'm asking.)

I don’t ask you to defend Ohio's legislation, but would you be able to help me understand somehow what it is about a laser that requires such severe response by the law makers?
(Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to understand lasers for hunting, that's my OP about.) 👍🏼

Matthias
I would think maybe it is the EYE burning effect of a laser . Probably misunderstood by Law makers ? just a guess .

Time to fff around and find out🤷‍♂️🤪🤙

20230111_170343.jpg

20230111_170506.jpg

20230111_170433.jpg