• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Laser,red dot??

If you want a red dot, I have one for sale. I won it; brand new, never mounted.

I use both the prism and the red dot sights. Either the dot or the prism work well to 75 or 100 yards, depending on your eye sight.
If you go with a reflex (dot sight) DO NOT get a large dot. Pay attention to the dot size. A 2mm or 3mm is what you want to stick with. Larger, the dot hides the target.

If you have an astigmatism, a prism sight will defiantly suit you better.
Although, some red dots (mostly Holosun) will also work ok with an astigmatism. I have the eye problem, and I have a few Holosun sights. My favorites are the newer AMES, and the He530, both in the green dot.
or
Also, the green dot versions also work a little better with the eye problem.

The prism sights are somewhat like a cross between a red dot and a normal scope. Most have some multiplication, normally 3x to 5x .
The Primary Arms brand has a few different prism sights to choose from. Their SLx 3x Cyclops is a very nice prism. Small outside, but easy to acquire the target.
These can be used with OR without battery power. With battery - green or red dot reticle. No battery - black reticle.

In any case, no matter which you go with...DO NOT...spend your target acquisition time paying attention to the "dot"..! Even if you have an astigmatism, and the reflex dot isn't exactly round...IT'S NOT a big deal ! If it is, you are paying too much attention to the "dot" and NOT the "target" !

Many go with cheaper reflex (red/green dot) sights. I've given a couple of cheap (under $100) a look, and they are NOT worth the money in my estimation. They are not very strong if accidently dropped (slides off the tree trunk, knocked off the truck bed, or shooting table), the battery life is horrendously bad. They normally also have only 3 or 4, maybe 5, brightness settings. The better sights have 10 to 12 brightness settings !

Also, with whatever you end up with...if it's a dot sight, keep the light intensity lower. Having it super bright will hide your target, it will like like the sun, with "blooming" around the dot. That's TOO bright. If you keep the brightness down to where you can "just" see the dot, this will work the best for target acquisition.

Best of luck with your hunt.

Mike

P.s. Holographic (NOT laser !) is also a good sight, but MANY people do not understand the way they work, and think they are junk !! While they are NOT junk, at all, like I say, they just need a little different handling ! Plus they are most normally the highest priced sight, and the battery life is lower than the reflex (red/green dot) sight .

Last edited:
I put a cheap red dot on my new Impact because it had a pic mount and I didn’t have an available pic scope mount or scope for that matter… I couldn’t wait another week for my scope to arrive and I just wanted to try it out. It worked unbelievably well and was just about perfect for shooting in the yard. I was shooting at 34 yards and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot pests at that distance. The only thing I didn’t like about it was with 0 magnification it was harder to see what was happening on a paper target.

Reading Mikes post above, I’d be taking his advice…

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Hi, I’ve bought a Benjamin Marauder Carbine for shooting rats does anyone have an idea of the best sight to put on it as it might be dark or low light when shooting
Again...we need details !

You want a scope, a red /green dot, or a prism sight ?
All will work just fine for rats. Though a scope or prism might be best for such a small critter. A red/green dot would HAVE to be a small (2moa dot) dot, which normally means a little more expensive than a cheap dot sight.

Mike

Reactions: 450BM
Midway is having a weekly special on the Sightron 2 MOA red dot. I had to grab one at this price ($119!) japanese glass and free shipping to boot…

-Ed

Reactions: 450BM