• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Laser Engraving A Magazine?

For the users that have a self indexing pcp huben k1 or L2 has anyone laser engraved numbers on the mag to keep track? My current way is a tiny piece of painters tape on the l2 mag on the left side to see it make a full rotation. I recently got the huben k1 and the tape doesn't work the same. I am wondering of I could have it laser etched and if it could be colored. Thanks for the input.

Had this done at a local laser engraving.

20230121_205833.png

20230121_205903.jpg

20230121_205931.jpg

The magazine is aluminum, the black is color anodized. The laser removes the surface color and the raw material shows through. At least with my laser set up. The color of the aluminum can be from silver to white to amber, depending on how long (and hot) the laser is on each spot.

On plane grey anodized, I spray a coating on the piece and burn through.

IMG_20230105_155206515.jpg

IMG_20230105_155151075.jpg

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
You don't get 'color' from a laser, it just removes the anodizing showing the base material. A shop need to be able to index the mag to do it correctly.
I removed the mag so it's easier, but looking into it some lasers can apply color just not the one my buddy has it's proper term from what I see is "marking" it adds that color to the area desired.

Reactions: Quad82
I removed the mag so it's easier, but looking into it some lasers can apply color just not the one my buddy has it's proper term from what I see is "marking" it adds that color to the area desired.
The color is an ink that is applied later then wiped off. They etch it deeper. I stand corrected, the technology has passed me by, along with a few decades. The process is interesting.

Last edited: