Large caliber pellets vs smaller caliber slugs

I think having slugs is a great option, specially the small bore slugs 22/25, i personally haven't used them "yet' and that is because all my airguns are not suitable for them. i mean under powered , i wish more air-gun manufacturers make a dedicated small bore platform for slugs without too many points of adjustments that can cause failure or malfunction. 

It is not all just about "financial sense". For some, it's about pushing beyond the traditional limits of airguns that is thrilling. It's about extending their PCPs and their own shooting skills to target ranges that was once thought near impossible with an airgun. Just like in the powder burner world, you can buy cheap surplus ammo, or you can buy and shoot the latest A-tip ballistic bullets at 5-10x the price of surplus ammo. Does the pest care that you are using surplus ammo with 1.5 inch grouping versus using ballistic tipped ammo with 1/2 inch groupings with a phenomenal BC? No, but it matters to some shooters - personal pride and satisfaction. Time is valuable, as someone stated rightly above. Might as well extract the most fun and enjoyment while you are at it even if is costs a little bit more.

Same argument could be made about having a beater car that works just as well as a German Porsche or Italian Ferrari for getting you from point A to point B, but until you have driven one...

Well said!

I understand the pushing the limits thing. And am not “against “ slugs or their use. I just don’t get the push to achieve .22 rimfire ballistic/energy levels. I got into the PCP game because of all the places I couldn’t shoot my rimfire. I see some guys take shot at 150 plus yards on chucks, which we know are tough critters. A headshot it’s a done deal, but marginal hits? The push for further and further distance shooting for me personally seems to contradict why many come to airguns in the first place.

My view is the same. My interest has never been in the longer and longer range air gun shooting so slugs have not been a major interest for me. I do have some to try, however. I have plenty of other guns for the distances that the slugs seem to fit/benefit. For me, the air guns are for the shorter range, ease of quick shooting use. Obviously, this is not true for everyone but it seems that there is plenty of the same bias on the part of some slug shooters that they attribute to pellet only shooters. There are plenty of choices today to suit the wants and needs of all.

I think having slugs is a great option, specially the small bore slugs 22/25, i personally haven't used them "yet' and that is because all my airguns are not suitable for them. i mean under powered , i wish more air-gun manufacturers make a dedicated small bore platform for slugs without too many points of adjustments that can cause failure or malfunction.

I don't care about all the pros and cons I'm having a blast shooting slugs!

And I think Jefferson state and there new Raptor have a good start on your wish!

Interchangeable barrel's (options for dedicated slug barrel's) reg and power adjustment ! I think they nailed it!!!

I'm going to give it try and really like that it's made right here in the good old USA!

James from Michigan, 

To the original question, there’s times I may rather hunt with a .30 shooting pellets than a .22 shooting slugs. .30 pellets can be devastating on tissue to 50 yards or so. I would rather lung shoot a coon with a .30 Polymag than a .22 slug. Some of it has to do with myself hunting with a .22LR most of my life and never having great results lung shooting varmints with one. When I switched to my .25 Mrod, I had much better results on lung shots although the .25 Mrod had inferior energy to a .22LR. I’ve come to believe bigger is better on lung shots quite independent of energy. 

Now would I prefer a .25 slug to a .30 Polymag? That’s a different question. I’ve found .25 slugs fired at 80fpe and above to be devastating on lung shots. 

I also don’t believe that slugs are really anything new to the airgun world nor must a person choose between a slug barrel or a pellet barrel unless the pellet barrel is almost devoid of rifling. All of my choked pellet barrels .25 and up have some bullets they shoot well, and some of my bullet barrels shoot pellets well. 

What’s “new” is the airgun industry noticing that they are missing out on the booming custom slug making market that up to this point has been occupied by small businesses and hobbyists. Thus now the push towards slugs, with the spin being that we’re having something bestowed on us from X or Y manufacturer that’s changing the airgun world. 

In reality, we can thank airgun hobbyists and basement-ran businesses for making slugs popular. The industry is just playing catchup. Which is fine. I’m curious to see if some of the big manufacturers can give us slugs on the cheap.

The point is slugs are here to stay, they will not take pellets out ... all the contrary ... slugs are making a totally new market. The long range we are seen right now is incredible and I don't think airguns is trying to beat rim fire .. it is what it is.

What I am trying to say is 

If you shoot pellets...that is great :)

If you shoot slugs....that is great too :D .... to each his/her own

We are airgunners and that is even better. ;)

BTW: IMO is not correct comparing a Tin of pellets 18gn 0.22 cal with a bag of 0.22 slugs... is like comparing shooting 022 pellets (Not monsters) with 0.22 slugs, I remember that was one of the most commented post of southafricans AirHunters, when the compare a 18gn pellet with a 26gn slug (or something like that). Slugs can compare with a 30gn pellets ... that is fair ... and if I recall correct a 0.30cal pellet tin cost about US$19 for 150 pellets...so slugs (been expensive as today I Know!) are not that expensive! :D ;)

I don't care about all the pros and cons I'm having a blast shooting slugs!

And I think Jefferson state and there new Raptor have a good start on your wish!

Interchangeable barrel's (options for dedicated slug barrel's) reg and power adjustment ! I think they nailed it!!!

I'm going to give it try and really like that it's made right here in the good old USA!

James from Michigan,

First time i heard of it, it seems very promising, ill keep my eyes open for reviews.

I imagine there are plenty who share my inherent fascination with the ability propel objects using only air with surprising power and incredible accuracy. I can't quite articulate why this holds such intrinsic value for me. For me, it's not just being able to achieve a particular end, say nailing a crow from 300 or even maybe one day 500 yards. It's the fact that it was able to be done with air. Also, airguns generally have no recoil, are quieter, and draw less ire in more urban environments. So as technology advances, my eyes are just going to get wider and wider with amazement and excitement. 

I imagine there are plenty who share my inherent fascination with the ability propel objects using only air with surprising power and incredible accuracy. I can't quite articulate why this holds such intrinsic value for me. For me, it's not just being able to achieve a particular end, say nailing a crow from 300 or even maybe one day 500 yards. It's the fact that it was able to be done with air. Also, airguns generally have no recoil, are quieter, and draw less ire in more urban environments. So as technology advances, my eyes are just going to get wider and wider with amazement and excitement. 

Yes, then after “nailing” them crows at 300 and 500 yards, some can be nailed at 1000 yards? All in an Urban environment? 😃 Maybe it can be done, by very talented airgunners.

I always wanted enough land to shoot my firearms. But 10+ acres in Texas was out of my price range. 

Settled for 3 acres and bought an airgun from Walmart so I could shoot cans. 

Then discovered pyramid air and 1000$+ airguns. 

Now I got an FX crown .22 and .25 custom brod. 

I like the ability to be able to shoot in the backyard and pellets allow for that. I thought about slugs for a while and decided they would be too dangerous. Even though I have about 150 yards of usable shooting space. I lasered my neighbors house at 300 yards a way. After seeing some of those YouTube videos, I realized that slugs were a terrible idea for my shooting situation. 

I think a lot of people have to realize that if you got limited space, don’t buy the slugs. Stick to pellets at home. I’d hate to see an accident happen and have airguns start being more regulated by the govt. 

slugs are great , but have the potential to ruin air gunning “in the backyard.” Last thing we need is some idiot shooting slugs in a neighborhood. 

If if you got tons of open space or places to allow for safely shooting. Then hell yea to slugs!