N/A lapping a barrel

Dillon, clearing the burrs with a fine abrasive like J-B bore compound, it would be tedious, yes. Still less time than packing up the barrel and making arrangements to have someone else do it. Besides, what do you have to loose for having tried other than a half hour of your time? If the result is not satisfactory, you can still send it off.

BTW, not that I recommend it but here is a silly experiment to see what a 10-second crown job can be. Inspired by the atrocious crowns many people were getting on the cheap Crosman Icon PCP, I grabbed a barrel in the shop and hit it 3 seconds with a carbide burr followed by 7 seconds with a diamond ball.
2AF512BD-5881-455E-8E98-BA0B2AA5E640.jpeg

The result is vastly better than a lot of production barrels I’ve seen. Which is sad when you think about it.

If your going to disagree then publish the rule please.

Let me rephrase my opinion: "Good golly, not another example of embedded opinion rooted in only one understanding of a subject then held so rigidly as to not allow other examples of the same outcome to be published."

Better?

Exercise common sense and be considerate towards your fellow users. The diversity of opinion and intelligent civil discourse is encouraged; by the same token: rude, lewd, vulgar, obscene, flaming, baiting, trolling, hateful, threatening, insulting, violent, or slanderous content will not be tolerated. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully

Last edited:
Dillon, clearing the burrs with a fine abrasive like J-B bore compound, it would be tedious, yes. Still less time than packing up the barrel and making arrangements to have someone else do it. Besides, what do you have to loose for having tried other than a half hour of your time? If the result is not satisfactory, you can still send it off.

BTW, not that I recommend it but here is a silly experiment to see what a 10-second crown job can be. Inspired by the atrocious crowns many people were getting on the cheap Crosman Icon PCP, I grabbed a barrel in the shop and hit it 3 seconds with a carbide burr followed by 7 seconds with a diamond ball.
View attachment 458093
The result is vastly better than a lot of production barrels I’ve seen. Which is sad when you think about it.
You bring up a good point. If I have JB paste I might as well try it out. I'll need to see I remember buying a brass screw years ago to try to do it on a SPA gun but don't think I ever did use it.Guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

That combo should do the trick. Just plan to refresh the abrasive often (I.e. just add more) since J-B breaks down quickly into smaller particles. If you have a stick of medium polishing compound like the kind you load on a benchtop polishing wheel, you can scrape some of it off with a knife and mix it into a slurry with the J-B and that may help speed things along.

The two things to keep in mind are
  1. Don’t bear down...try to maintain just the lightest of contact and let the spinning motion and abrasive do the work. If you want to apply pressure early on, that’s okay but ease up as you near completion.
  2. Orbit the drill randomly. This approach helps ensure you get a uniform bevel. (If instead you try to hold the drill steady, the bevel will end up biased in some seemingly random direction).
Best of luck!

Reactions: Dairyboy
That combo should do the trick. Just plan to refresh the abrasive often (I.e. just add more) since J-B breaks down quickly into smaller particles. If you have a stick of medium polishing compound like the kind you load on a benchtop polishing wheel, you can scrape some of it off with a knife and mix it into a slurry with the J-B and that may help speed things along.

The two things to keep in mind are
  1. Don’t bear down...try to maintain just the lightest of contact and let the spinning motion and abrasive do the work. If you want to apply pressure early on, that’s okay but ease up as you near completion.
  2. Orbit the drill randomly. This approach helps ensure you get a uniform bevel. (If instead you try to hold the drill steady, the bevel will end up biased in some seemingly random direction).
Best of luck!
Brother I want to thank you! What an amazing difference. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I have learned an important skill and have you to thank for it!
20240421_203612.jpg
20240422_165011.jpg

Yesterday's "shot groups" at 50yds
20240422_172217.jpg

Today's after recrown. First 2 large groups were 10 shots and seemed the barrel needed to settle? Or just me. The rest all 5 shots with 3 different pellets. Slight variable winds right to left
20240422_172226.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! You're a natural.

Pretty cool to see the before and after, both the closeup of the crown and the results on target. With any luck, your effort will inspire someone else who has been on the fence.
Thanks! Yes I hope others will be inspired to do so also. Was always hesitant to do so but glad you nudged me to give it a try. Did take at least 15-20min on it spread over I think 10 different times of around 2min. But like said worth the time and effort and learned something new.

Perhaps I missed it earlier Dillon but what rifle is that barrel from? Congrats on a great crown job and a significant improvement.

Did you try pushing a new pellet through it after the work?
Taipan Veteran Long .22. And thanks! I did. I pushed a few as I went along doing it and got it to the point where you can't really tell a difference between pushing up to the crown and fully through. I now reach the crown and just a tiny bit more effort pops through. Before I had to really push. I'm sure my fps on my tune bumped up too. I'll need to check that.