Lands and grooves vs slug .217 in 22.

Shoot one in water and recover, measure.
I've also had good luck by removing the barrel and pushing a pellet through with a cleaning rod. That will tell you what you have, but not necessarily what is best. Compared to firearms, most air rifle barrels have more, but shallower groves, which I assume has been proven superior with pellets. I don't shoot slugs, but my guess is that a dedicated slug barrel would perform best with a profile more like the traditional rifling found in cartridge firearms.

Reactions: Stubbers
You can get .22 barrel liners and adapt them to your airgun to shoot slugs, or buy specific, unchocked barrels that have ideal, faster twist rates for heavier projectiles, since pellets generally do best with slow twists, and slugs are far more stable with faster twist rates.

There are formulas to determine the best twist rate for a projectile. It's best to build from the ground up opposed from the up to the ground. Tossing in random projectiles into fx liners is guesswork, which is one approach but its not surefire. You need to slug your barrel, ensure its not choked, and that you can get ideal velocity with the intended projectile weight. Determine the twist rate of the barrel and do some calculations to obtain your ideal projectile weight range.

Shooting slugs takes a lot of more prep work than pellets, that is for sure, even pellets take some tinkering to find out which shoots best out of each gun, slugs are 2-3x the effort.

-Matt

Reactions: DesertSilver
I think that the reason for the not so deep grooves is it's less friction. We're only dealing with a max of 4250 psi not including the hubin where a lowly.22 rim fire is something like 16,000 psi. As has already been said, you need to push a slug through your barrel and measure the outside diameter in at least 2 places. Measure, then rotate the slug 180 degrees then take another measurement. Don't push the slug all the way through the barrel as it might be choked.

You can get .22 barrel liners and adapt them to your airgun to shoot slugs, or buy specific, unchocked barrels that have ideal, faster twist rates for heavier projectiles, since pellets generally do best with slow twists, and slugs are far more stable with faster twist rates.

There are formulas to determine the best twist rate for a projectile. It's best to build from the ground up opposed from the up to the ground. Tossing in random projectiles into fx liners is guesswork, which is one approach but its not surefire. You need to slug your barrel, ensure its not choked, and that you can get ideal velocity with the intended projectile weight. Determine the twist rate of the barrel and do some calculations to obtain your ideal projectile weight range.

Shooting slugs takes a lot of more prep work than pellets, that is for sure, even pellets take some tinkering to find out which shoots best out of each gun, slugs are 2-3x the effort.

-Matt
I would not assume that the best slug barrels are unchoked. When I was active in RF benchrest all of my best barrels were choked. That said, I know there are many barrels that deliver precision accuracy of both profiles.

I would not assume that the best slug barrels are unchoked. When I was active in RF benchrest all of my best barrels were choked. That said, I know there are many barrels that deliver precision accuracy of both profiles.

It's not an assumption but do go on and discuss further as to why choked barrels are superior to non choked for airguns shooting slugs? I'm all ears.

-Matt

1000014142.png

-Matt
I probably misunderstood your statement above as meaning that unchoked barrels were the general preference for slugs. As I said, I don't shoot slugs so I can't offer experience that suggests either one is superior. My experience with RF suggests to me that choked barrels might perform very well with air rifle slugs, since I see their ballistic qualities as more similar to a RF bullet than a diablo shaped pellet. I apologize for any confusion created by my post. As with evaluating any variable, individual testing is always the answer.