Laminate stock fix

Hi Guys,
I've got a nick on a laminate stock. See pics below. And I'd like to fix it, if possible.
Looks up close to be wood exposed, like it's just the finish, that's got a hole in it.
I heard a while back about using a damp cloth and an iron to take a nick out. I'm not sure that would apply to this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry
20230401_222000.jpg

20230401_221939.jpg

Method 1
Sprayed finish, looks like water base satin poly finish. It’s clear and has white edges. It’s a a sold chip to bare wood common to the finish as the glue resins are difficult to hold onto. Thus a complete shiled pulling in equal directions hold its shape. It’s NOT a penetrating finish but a surface bonding finish and is only as strong as the initial bond. Direct angular blows will chip it. Its ability to hold shape is greater than scuff or abrasive blows..

Now the fix.. Similar to what Lewis has said. Instead I would use satin ,I say this with regret Minwax water poly( most don’t have access to professional floor finish as I do) and a eye dropper needle to slowly add finish to the area.. (deft touch, don’t flood it in one attempt.) Use a hair dryer to advance dry early coats As coats build the hair dryer is further away as to not blow finish off the piece but speed drying . It’s a multiple layer build up. With each layer forming a bond with the next. Then buff ever so slightly with 800 grit to 1500 and rotten stone and oil final blend.. PREP IS EVERYTHING.. CLEAN AREA WELL WITH ACETONE AND LET DRY FOR 1 hr

***** Even professionals hate doing touch up repairs as patina and age still may not match even with the exact product originally used

Method 2 ,

Quick and dirty.. I use a lot .. clean well.. use 5 min epoxy and drop in just over the shoulders. Let it sit till it’s stiff but sticky but holds its shape to touch.. take a finger dip in 91 % rubbing alcohol. Smooth over slightly cured epoxy, the alcohol wil ever so slightly soften the fresh epoxy and allow you to shape it.. Let dry For a day. Buff with rotten stone and oil for blend. When done it’s a sold fill fast and hard.

Method 3 , my most used.

stare at it for a good hr on and off with disgust and anger, set it down and come back and hr later with emotional liquid hep 🍻..
as your emotional,help starts to kick in each one serving to blur the chip even more until you can’t see it at all

Last edited:
This ad popped up while I was cruising YouTube. $45 but might have other uses around the house.
The video of it in use looked pretty good, if it’s truth.

Nail polish is lacquer. It will protect the wood but is itself fragile compared to other finishes. It is also very thin. But it dries quickly and you could build up layers. I agree with the others that poly is probably what is on the stock. It is tougher. No idea if it would be oil based or water borne. The water borne is harder but thinner and dries much quicker. The oil base, when fully cured (about 30 days) is tougher and would be easier to fill the area with. Oil base has an amber tint, water borne is normally very clear. That may suggest you stock is finished with water borne.

It isn't normally viewed as a finish but I agree with the epoxy comment. Mine is not clear, it has an amber tint but your realistic goal is not to make this go away, it is to make it less noticable. If you really want it to go away, strip the stock and refinish it. Any sort of touch up will show, it's just a question of how close you have to look. A well done poly fix is probably going to be less noticable but take more effort. Epoxy is very tough and it would take nearly no time to do.

I don't use it but some people who make pens apparently use crazy glue as a finish. Might work great. Might mess things up.

I would not under any circumstances start sanding on the stock unless you are prepared to do a total refinish. You are very likely to make the area much more noticable than it is now. I would dab a bit of finish on the boo boo to protest the wood and make the nick less noticable.

Reactions: Scotty1
Epoxy is not UV resistant and requires a clear coat of some kind to protect it from the sun. I know this from building transoms for boats. It is common to take marine plywood and epoxy each layer together then clamp. West Marine whose epoxy I use states to clear coat any exposed surfaces to protect from the sun. This may or may not affect your repair but with enough time the epoxy coat repair may not stay the same color. Even florescent light can affect it.