• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

LabRadar

I have both. The Garmin is much more reliable. The LR works best (for airguns) with the external microphone ("airgun adapter") which needs to be placed just *ahead* of the muzzle, but obviously out of the pellets path, to trigger reliably. It's tedious to say the least. The Garmin just works, but won't measure BC. And the interface to the Garmin is dirt simple. The LR's kinda makes sense once you understand it, but put it away for a few months and you'll need the manual again...

LR has a new chrono that appears to be very much a clone of the Garmin coming out "soon" (sooner than FX Halos? Who knows?). Their anticipated price is the same as the Garmin though, so I think they're going to have to add features or drop the price to be competitive.

GsT

Edit: clarity

I have both. The Garmin is much more reliable. The LR works best (for airguns) with the external microphone ("airgun adapter") which needs to be placed just *ahead* of the muzzle, but obviously out of the pellets path, to trigger reliably. It's tedious to say the least. The Garmin just works, but won't measure BC. And the interface to the Garmin is dirt simple. The LR's kinda makes sense once you understand it, but put it away for a few months and you'll need the manual again...

LR has a new chrono that appears to be very much a clone of the Garmin coming out "soon" (sooner than FX Halos? Who knows?). Their anticipated price is the same as the Garmin though, so I think they're going to have to add features or drop the price to be competitive.

GsT

The new LR is not plastic like the Garmin, it has a better screen and takes 2 velocity readings.

It does what the Garmin can, and more... and it's metal, not cheap made in Taiwan plastic.

There are head to head youtube videos around. Watch before you buy!

I've owned Garmin stuff in the past. People think LR is bad. Garmin was just as horrible if not worse

Only one time did I have to email LR for a question, it was promptly answered with the info I needed.

That’s a great deal for a Labradar. I’ve had mine for a few years. I added an SD card, an aftermarket inertial trigger, and a rechargeable external battery pack. It’s reliable. I mostly use the built in screen and SD card rather than the Bluetooth app.

There are now a number of <$1000 Doppler radar chronographs available. They all display a refined subset of the tracking data, but only the Labradar gives me access to all of the tracking data. I can access the tracking data out to 100yds, in .002 second intervals (approximately every yard).

The built in apps for the various chronographs are all pretty good about refining the data to display in a simple to understand manner, but most are too simple. If you are interested in the most comprehensive ballistics data or are developing drag models, you’ll want the Labradar. Do any of the other Doppler chronographs give me access to that information?

IMG_2972.jpeg

I have NOT been successful in getting the labradar to see or trigger on .177 caliber projectiles even with the external trigger microphone.

If the .177 has any detectable recoil, an inertial trigger might work. I get some errant readings when I bump or move my gun as that will trigger the Labradar.

The .177 is more of a short range airgun round. Labradar is probably not well suited for that. Even if it triggers, it will not be able to track it very far any way. But it should be able to work at least.

GsT

I use one of those telescopic "back scratchers" (available from Amazon for a couple of bucks) mounted in a wood base as a stand for the microphone. Takes a couple of minutes to make and seconds to adjust.

Cheers!

20240527_203021.jpg

Lol. I am a Lab Radar user. But even with an external trigger it will not work with my Diana 75s. I had the chance to shoot over the new Garmin the other day. There will be one in my arsenal, slicker than you know what.
Seemed like a good deal to me.
I have NOT been successful in getting the labradar to see or trigger on .177 caliber projectiles even with the external trigger microphone.
I doubt I will ever use it for anything smaller than .25. My old eyes and .177 pellets aren't compatible anymore.

Have you used the doppler trigger? The labradar will trigger on a projectile flying through the beam if other means don't work for your .177.
The Labradar would NOT register a shot without the air gun adapter, I tried everything. The Labradar was worthless until I bought the air gun adapter. Now it registers every shot. I am very happy with it now. I am shooting a DRS .25