• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Labradar or traditional chrono?

Soon after I picked up my FX Pocket Chronograph, I sold my little used LabRadar.

The FX just required no real set-up. I use it all the time, and it gives me the data I need. At this time I'm not all that worried about the speed of the pellet 50 or 100 yards down range.

Some folks want this data, and the LabRadar provides it. But to me it also comes with a hassle factor, which is why I never used it much. Not just setting up the LabRadar, but also getting the data off it in a useful form (for long shot strings to 'off the reg' for shot count). Maybe newer models or newer firmware improves the user experience, but the FX unit came with all of that built in and functioning immediately. So handy to send a shot string to my email for dumping the data right into Excel.

My club has a Labradar, and I will echo the opinion above. It has a lot of capability, but I don't need it. I have both a traditional chrono, a Competition Electronics Prochrono with blue tooth adapter, and a Magnetospeed, which I use the most with air rifles. As the radar unit, it doesn't need light, and it's easy to use indoors for tuning.

I personally own a regular old chronograph and have shot over a friend's Labradar and often compare and discuss notes/findings with him. From that perspective, and if the money is not a concern, 100% Labradar over anything else that only tells you muzzle speed. 

The physics of what's happening when we send something downrange is perhaps the most interesting part of airguns for me. Knowing what that pellet/slug is doing at various distances (velocity decay) is extremely helpful when comparing the performance of various projectiles. It can be done with a regular chrono but it's a hassle.

If you are the analytical type-->Labradar. If you want to learn and understand more about BCs and external ballistics and determine/strive for "better"-->Labradar. If you are generally curious--> Labradar.

If you are the just shoot and not care about anything more than muzzle speed (without the fussiness and general pain in the butt of putting your Chrono at various distances and then trying to shoot over the eyes, CAREFULLY) -->regular chronograph. 

I think the two biggest things the labradar has is the down range measurements and it’s useful for powder burners. I’m running the fx, I love the simplicity and the fact that if it’s late when I Get home I can still use it. 

If I could add one thing to the fx, it would be a second return at 25 yards. It would really help figure bc and make it perfect for my needs. 

For data, the LabRadar is my choice. In NRL22, the information is crucial when pushing out beyond 275 yds. With pellets and slugs, the data is just as critical in tactical precision. With the mic option, muffled 22lr and moderated air rifle data is easily aquired. Running a MagnetoSpeed and LabRadar side-by-side; results at the muzzle were within 1 FPS. LabRadar also performs well with bows and is a rock solid selection for centerfire.