LabRadar and Chrony F1 go head to head

Posted here as I think it may be of general interest.
What velocity correlation might we expect from these two chronographs when shot together and what general conclusions may be drawn?

This morning: At a tape measured distance of 14 yards/42 ft muzzle to mid point between the Chrony sensors, I shot 10 shots simultaneously over the Chrony and the LabRadar microphone trigger to get some conclusion as to relative reliability.
The Labradar was set to record velocity at precisely 14 yards to the nearest one fps. (Note that the LR does record a number of velocities for every yard but can also have 5 user chosen yard or metre settings). Thus comparisons could be made.
14 yards was chosen as the longest range I could get for the Chrony with good sky screen access in my yard in the city (no tree shadow etc).
The measure of default 12 inches between Chrony sensors was checked as best I could - see pic: ( if you have never checked yours, it is a good idea to do so). 

1525745424_6456063585af10710789135.73260033_20180508_110500-1.jpg

It took some time to line everything up including a safe target at 25 yards. A laser pointer helped and Wendy, bless her, helped with the tape.

1525745760_4706188635af10860736d00.65127976_20180508_111112-2.jpg

The results were astonishing at least to me they were.

The rifle was my 16 yr old .22 Excalibre/FX 2000, which has no regulator but has shot over 70 sub inch 100 yd 5 shot groups, .
It was choked back with its transfer port adjustment screw to shoot under 12 fpe, with 15.9 gr JSBs , allowing just enough noise to trigger the LR microphone.

1525748141_8418424535af111adcb0869.94298684_Excalibre upright_zpsh9j9pw1s.jpg

Raw data:
Chrony then LR same shot at 14 yards.
534.2 fps 535 fps
530.2 531
538.1 538
540.2. 540
535 535
536.8 537
538.8 539
539.3 540
537.5 538
534.2 535

Averages
536.43 536.8
Highest
540.2 540
Lowest
530.2 531

Well there is a morning's work/play and the results are most satisfactory. 
Did you find that interesting?
The LR cost me US $ 550 plus exorbitant US freight charges almost three years ago. It was the first into OZ but they are now available here. It does so many things for me.
I hope you enjoyed the read as I enjoyed bringing it to you. .... Kind regards, Harry.

Thank you for sharing your test results. This is great! Over your 3 years of experience with the lab radar, would you say it reliably picks up all shots. For example - depending on lighting conditions, chrono's can be twitchy and miss a shot or 2 over the course of a shot string. On average, how many shots or what percentage of shots would you say the lab radar fails to track?

Rich, I normally use the Doppler trigger and with the .25, .22 and my best JSB .177 pellets it never misses a shot on any range reasonably clear of gates fences etc., and in any light or dark. It tracks .25 Kings to 70 and sometines up to 90 yards; .22s to 60 yd and .177s to 40 reliably and sometimes 50 or 60.
The Doppler triggers when the pellet crosses into the ray cone, which is generally a few yards down range, and registers that as mv.

The microphone triggers with the muzzle sound as zero time and extrapolates back to zero time from where the Doppler picks up the pellet to give the slightly more defined mv.
The difference to me is only really relevant when doing something like that which I reported above, though I didn't need the mv but needed the 14 yd range mark defined from the muzzle.
The microphone pick up has been fussy at times in my shed and through that laundry. The reflected noise I think sometimes is a problem, though today there was 100% reliability..
I have found a couple of .177 pellet types that it is not totally reliable in triggering/tracking. They are pellets which are poorly stabilized and I think the exaggerated precession is to blame, or maybe the skirt hollow's geometry or a combination of both.
But in practical terms with my rifles and the good pellets that I use, I can say virtually 100% reliability. I have no use for poor pellets anyway.
I hope I have answered clearly Rich. ... Kind regards, Harry.

Reactions: Rich7777
Thank you for taking the time to do this and posting the results of of this test. I have used my Labradar to calculate BCs on my 308 rifle and my results were within 5% of what the manufacturer quoted for the BC of the bullet. I figure that it must be pretty accurate at measuring velocity at distance to get results that close to the manufactures data.

Harry's comment of "iit never misses a shot on any range reasonably clear of gates fences etc" contains an important point. It likes to have a relatively clear path from gun to target. If you are shooting down a outside corridor that has trees within several feet of the trajectory and ground cover (bushes, ivy, small objects like 2 foot stumps every 10 yards with targets on them) results are mixed. Don't expect it to track indoors in a example configuration of 'shooting from dining room though kitchen into target in family room'. Stick to traditional crony's for that stuff.

"Strever"Harry
what is the sighting device you are using on top of the lab radar ?
thanks
Strever,
I do things on the cheap too sometimes !
I think it was Scott Fitzgerald who once commented that using an exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke - but forgive me please as - I think there is something funny about using a ball point pen tube as a sight for an expensive LB. It fits neatly in the LB's frame "V" sighting notch.

Rich,
I should have added that walking out in front of the armed LB can add some apparent velocities which may be stored and used in computations. If I have to go to the target and back I do a couple of things. I make the rifle safe - and either switch the LB off or just check it to delete any records after my last shot.

Sharrof's elaboration is indicative of the way that any light (electro magnetic wave) can be reflected about and return to its origin sometimes by a longer route, which implies Einstein's favourite theory/law relating to relativity and moving objects.

Which reminds me that every time I don't shoot the LB it saves me the relative cost of a new Chrony - dare I use one again. ............. !
Regards to all, Harry.

"Yrrah"
Strever,
I do things on the cheap too sometimes !
I think it was Scott Fitzgerald who once commented that using an exclamation mark is like laughing at your own joke - but forgive me please as - I think there is something funny about using a ball point pen tube as a sight for an expensive LB. It fits neatly in the LB's frame "V" sighting notch.
Rich,
I should have added that walking out in front of the armed LB can add some apparent velocities which may be stored and used in computations. If I have to go to the target and back I do a couple of things. I make the rifle safe - and either switch the LB off or just check it to delete any records after my last shot.
Sharrof's elaboration is indicative of the way that any light (electro magnetic wave) can be reflected about and return to its origin sometimes by a longer route, which implies Einstein's favourite theory/law relating to relativity and moving objects.
Which reminds me that every time I don't shoot the LB it saves me the relative cost of a new Chrony - dare I use one again. ............. !
Regards to all, Harry.

LOL
Has LabRadar enabled the bluetooth functionality on it yet?