• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Labeling FX Impact barrel liners for easier identification

I own a total of 4 FX Impact MK2 STX barrel liners (all of them are 700mm, and I own the .25cal slug & pellet liners as well as the .30cal slug & pellet liners). I'm looking for a good solution to make it easier to differentiate all of these liners from one another at a glance. Some sort of a labelling solution... ideally one that could be done directly to the liner, as opposed to labelling the plastic sleeve the liners came in. Obviously it's of the utmost importance that whatever solution I wind up doing with doesn't have any possible effect on the harmonics of the gun when tuning it. I tried simply using a sharpie on the outside of the liner to make a small ID marking, but after inserting/removing the liner from the barrel a couple of times it started to rub away.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Look up metal etching on You Tube . It is a process where you use a battery charger and a stencil or fingernail polish with information scratched in polish Then with a with a Q tip soaked with salt water solution.Turn the charger on it will etch on one polarity then swap polarity it will blacken the etch.

This is a permeant mark and in no way will it hurt the barrel.

Wipe the liner's outside down with a cloth moistened with acetone to remove all oils. Use a Sharpie to write whatever ID info you like on the liner, then cover it with a single overlapping wrap of good quality clear package sealing tape. Shouldn't affect the liner's harmonics any more than wrapping the o-rings with Teflon tape I wouldn't think. I plan to do this the next time I have the liners out.

Sharpie permanent markers come in every main color there is. Just use acetone or 70% rubbing alcohol to clean/degrease area to be color coded. Simple enough?

Well, actually white & blue is hotter in Science/Kelvin scale. So whatever’s easier for you to remember. 

Coolest Blue = slowest twist

Every color/twist in between.

Fire Engine Red= fastest twist, etc.

1587575926_8557164895ea07c76cf3dc7.23398317.jpeg

Okay... cleaned a section of the exterior of each liner with acetone, then used a sharpie to write identifying information about each liner, and finally used a thin piece of 3M packing tape to do a loop around the liner fully covering up the sharpie. As long as this won't affect harmonics, I'd say I've found my solution!

Thanks everyone for your input!

So effectively you are only trying to differentiate between two items, personally I would leave the single ring on the breech to identify a pellet liner as from the factory, as the difference between .25 & .30 bores should be obvious visually, then to seperate the slug liners I would use a lathe to add a second ring a 1/4" infront of the first.