Kure for the Karens

You didn’t say who owns the acreage that borders your subdivision.

The subdivision has a small part of it that is accessed by several entrances throughout the neighborhood. Its basically just walking trails along the border of the subdivision. Off of that, the hundreds of acres is owned by the county. Its basically flood range and reserve. I don’t shoot animals so I am not hunting, and I checked with the county and am allowed to access it legally. As I said, I checked into it and did the research. I have several of my buddies that have houses on the edge of that property with nothing behind them but woods and they shoot pellet guns off their back decks all the time and have said I can just use their property, but honestly I just feel better going into the woods and hiding. I have a backup plan and that is a buddy of mine that lives about 20 minutes away that has about 50 acres and said I can go there anytime I want and shoot… in fact he is retired LEO and shoots his own firearms on the property all the time.

Sounds to me like you're checking all the right boxes. Definitely stay in contact with the sheriff, and take him up on his offer to visit the station with your guns (and bring donuts, pizza, whatever). I would think the more LEOs that know you, or know of you & your relationship to the sheriff, the better. Who knows, you might even attract the attention of a friendly county politician, who could coordinate establishing a public airgun range in that area.

The comment about bringing food isn't meant to be derogatory - it's easy, quick to eat food that the officers can grab if they're in the office for only a short bit on a busy day. It used to be more common that when you visited someone's home for the first time, you would bring a gift of food.

I agree with TN Yankee and visit the sherif . Explain the concern of any residences objecting to you useing the property for your shooting and explain you would be off the beaten path when doing so. Also that way more officers would be aware that you have the sheriffs back in case they get the call. Ask the officers if they have any local property that would be a better choice. It so happens I had my Airforce condor at the range when the local sherif was there and we struck up a conversation about PCP Airguns. Turned out he was very interested in getting one for the force after I showed him what one was capable of. They had a coyote problem in the borough and wanted a way to quietly dispatch them . The eventually bought a Condor in 25 and carry it in the squad car . So they are actually breaking the law discharging a gun in city limits. But they can get away with it. 

I'll risk a bit of criticism here. I have 31 years in law enforcement and it has changed drastically in that time. Todays officers are simply not "gun people". I get Karen calls all the time and tend to go in with my eyes open and not screaming with my gun out. I approach the situation as politely as I can and hope it is returned. If I encounter someone with a gun like the OP, I'm probably gonna ask to shoot it.

Looks to me like a recipe for disaster,

Just get it in a backpack get deep into the woods and start shooting away,...you say you not hunting, so why do you need the gun out to be ready to shoot ?

Someone else is also not buying the
1f402.svg
1f4a9.svg
story line.

Good on you Sir,the whole thing stank of fiction drama IMO.

To answer both of you at one time, I own several guns. My latest is an Impact M3 .22 sniper, and its incredibly difficult to fold it up and put it in a backpack, and its even harder to unfold it and shoot after I take it out of the backpack.

So smarty pants, how do I “hide” an impact with scope and the tank etc when I go into the woods? You might be smelling something closer to your nose if you smell the emoticons you are showing… perhaps check your shoes?

CA661F47-F47A-42C3-9332-C10E9EC25D86.1643373058.jpeg

I'll risk a bit of criticism here. I have 31 years in law enforcement and it has changed drastically in that time. Todays officers are simply not "gun people". I get Karen calls all the time and tend to go in with my eyes open and not screaming with my gun out. I approach the situation as politely as I can and hope it is returned. If I encounter someone with a gun like the OP, I'm probably gonna ask to shoot it.

No criticism from me. This is exactly the conversation I had with the sheriff here. They said they get calls all the time for this exact reason, sometimes its air guns, but quite often its airsoft kids etc. They said they will come into the woods as loudly as possible, no guns drawn, and expect that people with a gun in the woods are smart enough to either lay it down or up against a tree etc. They said that as long as that gun isn’t getting pointed at them, everything goes smoothly and they are typically just there to verify.