• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Krytox lube tune questions

I've decided to use Krytox GPL-205 to lube tune my springers. Zoro.com sells a 2 ounce tube for $41 which is the best price I've found.

Do people here favor Krytox over traditional moly grease and spring tar?

From what I've read, Krytox should be applied very sparingly anywhere that moly grease would be applied. So I'm planning on applying a very thin coat on the piston skirts, piston seal, outside of the mainspring, barrel pivot bolt, cocking slot and shoe, and a dot on the trigger sear. Should I also burnish the compression chamber?

I am installing a Maccari kit in one of my springers. Should I apply Krytox on the plastic mainspring guides from this kit? Maccari recommends that only moly grease be used on his piston seals. Would Krytox be safe to use on a Maccari piston seal?

Parts that Krytox is applied to must be thoroughly cleaned because Krytox does not mix well with other lubes. What is the best solvent to use:rubbing alcohol, Goo Gone, brake cleaner, etc?

Thanks for any replies.

I’ll be watching this thread for info as well, but one thing you shouldn’t do is use regular brake clean on any plastic parts. I once melted a grip panel on a Ruger 22 pistol using standard brake clean. I do think they make a brake clean thats safe for plastic parts, and would advise that. Failing that, regular rubbing alcohol has always served me well.

I've used Krytox GPL205 on a HW50S, HW97K, and a TX200. I always cleaned everything EXTREMELY thoroughly using only 90% rubbing alcohol and never experienced any cross contamination issues. I used it on the piston seals, pistons, comp chambers, spring guides, seals, trigger sear contact points, etc. I've been really happy with the longevity of this lube in the few years that I've used it. Good Luck!

I've used it before, but don't anymore. Just not worth the cost and the futzing around. I still have an HW77K with an oring piston conversion running krytox only in the compression tube. Works well in that application and takes very little. The rest of the gun uses conventional lubes. 

Degrease with whatever you want. I use jet fuel because I have a ton of it in my parts washer. If the old lube mixes with the krytox, nothing bad will happen they just don't "stir together". The stuff is basically inert, not much really affects it and that's why grease won't mix with it. 

As for removing krytox and going back to regular lubes, I just wiped it out with a rag. Seriously, just wipe it out and go. 

With a conventional parachute style piston seal you aren't gaining much if anything over a properly fitted seal lubed correctly with traditional moly paste. Waste of money for sure on mainsprings and guides. 

Reactions: gbmarcht
Krytox is ok for plastics. It's basically a liquid version of teflon so it doesn't react with anything. The warnings about mixing of Krytox with other lubes are mainly a concern in high-temp applications where conventional lubes can break down and contaminate things. For airguns that's not really an issue. If some petrol lube gets mixed with krytox you'll just have petrol-lube performance and the krytox won't mix with it. I'd just use alcohol to clean parts of original lube.