• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Kraford & Lypt KLS-1 on Impact

So, I got me one of those KLS-1 butt/monopod thingys.

I love the adjustability of the thing. Everything about it screams quality, it I have a couple things I'd like to see changed.

Firstly, id like to see a soft rubber thing to slip over the "arms". It's very uncomfortable shooting with a bikini top, or usual thin summertime clothes. 

Second, the thumb screw used to tighten the monopod is not ergono.ic at all. I'd like to see a lever to be able to adjust it without coming off target.

I,d also like the option of using a softer "ball" on the monopod.

1559498928_16224266775cf410b0899157.32905101_20190602_125555.jpg

Val, beautiful rig. I too have a KLS-1 and love it. I've talked with the owner about a couple of things you mentioned. He is working on a bag rider, like a little ski to replace the ball in the back so it will be more convenient on sand bags. The screw to tighten things down could be better for sure. It is easily changed out though. As far as the rubber thing to slip over the "arms"...although I'm sure I look super sexy in a bikini and I'm sure nobody would even take a second look out here in Northern California, it's not my thing, so I can't speak on that. 

Another thing I wanted to mention... I had POI shift last week while shooting prone. I was very low to the ground and not getting repeatable shoulder contact with the stock because I was too low to get my shoulder lined up with the stock when raised as far as it would go. Even with my PCP, it caused the POI to change 6/10mil at 40yds which absolutely amazed me. What I wanted you to know is that I loosened the two hex bolts and slid out the aluminum rod that "arms" mount to. From there, I inverted the rod so the "arms" can be raised above the bore line of the gun. It gained me about 1"-2" of vertical adjustment. Just something to be aware of. 

The real reason I'm responding to your post is to let you know that Kraford and Lypt is now making a RH or LH adjustable cheek rest. I shoot left handed, so for me it's a game changer. Even set on it's lowest position it keeps my cheek and jaw from rubbing on the oversized magazine and gives me a perfect sight picture. From the low setting it can be raised about 1"-1 1/2". It is also very well made, looks really good, is solid, mounts firmly/securely and just fills a niche for us left handed shooters, right handers too. I love the way it looks too. Might want to check it out. Have a great day!

Stoti

1559500142_10930938075cf4156e5f1252.41048423_IMG-1643.JPG
1559500190_18186389285cf4159e90d124.21494844_IMG-1642.JPG

So, I got me one of those KLS-1 butt/monopod thingys.

I love the adjustability of the thing. Everything about it screams quality, it I have a couple things I'd like to see changed.

Firstly, id like to see a soft rubber thing to slip over the "arms". It's very uncomfortable shooting with a bikini top, or usual thin summertime clothes. 

Second, the thumb screw used to tighten the monopod is not ergono.ic at all. I'd like to see a lever to be able to adjust it without coming off target.

I,d also like the option of using a softer "ball" on the monopod.

1559498928_16224266775cf410b0899157.32905101_20190602_125555.jpg

Agree...still room for improvement:

1). Thumbscrew currently is just a standard issue zinc thumbscrew (assuming vary inexpensive to source). This should be a more ergonomic, easy to turn thumbscrew.

2). The monopod rod moves very easily when the screw is loosened. Would like to see this improved.

3). The foot of the monopod should be changeable. I would recommend looking into a universal system such as the feet used on the Atlas Bipods (spring loaded, push button). I wish the monopod would be a little more robust or some type of quick-adjust spring loaded system or lever lock system. The thumbscrew is not ideal.

4). It would be great to see them make something that would be compatible with other products already on the market. This monopod system below looks interesting:

http://www.ctkprecision.com/ai-ax-monopod.aspx

Val, beautiful rig. I too have a KLS-1 and love it. I've talked with the owner about a couple of things you mentioned. He is working on a bag rider, like a little ski to replace the ball in the back so it will be more convenient on sand bags. The screw to tighten things down could be better for sure. It is easily changed out though. As far as the rubber thing to slip over the "arms"...although I'm sure I look super sexy in a bikini and I'm sure nobody would even take a second look out here in Northern California, it's not my thing, so I can't speak on that. 

Another thing I wanted to mention... I had POI shift last week while shooting prone. I was very low to the ground and not getting repeatable shoulder contact with the stock because I was too low to get my shoulder lined up with the stock when raised as far as it would go. Even with my PCP, it caused the POI to change 6/10mil at 40yds which absolutely amazed me. What I wanted you to know is that I loosened the two hex bolts and slid out the aluminum rod that "arms" mount to. From there, I inverted the rod so the "arms" can be raised above the bore line of the gun. It gained me about 1"-2" of vertical adjustment. Just something to be aware of. 

The real reason I'm responding to your post is to let you know that Kraford and Lypt is now making a RH or LH adjustable cheek rest. I shoot left handed, so for me it's a game changer. Even set on it's lowest position it keeps my cheek and jaw from rubbing on the oversized magazine and gives me a perfect sight picture. From the low setting it can be raised about 1"-1 1/2". It is also very well made, looks really good, is solid, mounts firmly/securely and just fills a niche for us left handed shooters, right handers too. I love the way it looks too. Might want to check it out. Have a great day!

Stoti

1559500142_10930938075cf4156e5f1252.41048423_IMG-1643.JPG
1559500190_18186389285cf4159e90d124.21494844_IMG-1642.JPG

Is that cheek piece metal? If so I could powder coat it to match.

I think everything is aluminum except for the top piece, I'm pretty sure it's Delrin. How's that Ares scope working out for you? I bought the Ares BTR. I thought about the Ares ETR but I couldn't find any adjustable rings in 34mm. I like to use adjustable rings on all of our air guns. It was also $300 more than I paid which I really didn't want to spend. Then about 3 weeks after I bought my Ares I saw it go on sale for $300 off. Wasn't really happy to see that! Oh well. Have a good one.

Stoti

I think everything is aluminum except for the top piece, I'm pretty sure it's Delrin. How's that Ares scope working out for you? I bought the Ares BTR. I thought about the Ares ETR but I couldn't find any adjustable rings in 34mm. I like to use adjustable rings on all of our air guns. It was also $300 more than I paid which I really didn't want to spend. Then about 3 weeks after I bought my Ares I saw it go on sale for $300 off. Wasn't really happy to see that! Oh well. Have a good one.

Stoti

I was unable to find adjustable rings for a pic rail. However, I'm hoping the 34mm tube will allow for enough verticle adjustment.

I know AOA has 34mm sportsmatch adjustable rings for dovetail, and I'll contact them to see if they can get them for pic rails if I have concerns later.