• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Knurling Slugs?

I have a pile of slugs, and of late I've noticed they get a bit of yaw in flight. Some do and some don't, enough to think it is a seating problem more than anything else, and using a single load block seems to eliminate almost all of it vs shooting from a magazine.

So other than dedication to the single stage load block and sucking it up, I was wondering if I could run them a pass under a file or the like to give a little something?

Not asking if it would be enough, because that isn't really doable over the interwebs, but would it be a possible solution? Just wasting time? Need to just sell them or melt them down and make 45 slugs out of them?

Yes, looking to get a little better rifling engagement. The recovered slugs have rifling marks for maybe a mm in the aft. It seems to be enough to do the job, but trying to get a better seat. Just trying to see if there might be something to do.

NSA 33.5 slugs in .25 cal. Pretty conical in that weight, and I may just have gone too light to get a good straight seating for that design.

Or going for a longer shape. It sounds like your point of contact is too short to get good stabilization. The pellet uses the edge of the head and edge of the tail as a two-point stabilization. It may be a design issue for your slugs.

Yea, that is what I was afraid of. I guess I can still try it for a few. It won't cost anything and I can find out if it fails miserably in pretty short order.

I may have a pile of these for sale or trade soon.