Knock of Yong Heng compressor

So I purchased a compressor about a month ago, finally got around to actually using it yesterday. When I first received it, I took it apart and cleaned it up, de-burred a few items, put it back together and didn't have a tank to fill so it sat around. I went shooting two weeks ago and attempted to use it, I found I had an air leak in the fill hose. UGH. Used my buddies CmdCtrl tank for fills and kept shooting.

Took the compressor down to www.Airtanksforsale.com in Huntington Beach, Ca. Joe replaced the whip with one of his really nice ones and replaced a compression washer and ran a dead head test up to 4,000 PSI. (Thanks Joe, if your reading this).

I ordered an Air Filter (Tuxing Gold), came in last week, some Male-Male fittings and the small Carbon Bottle from AoA ( $300.00 on sale, I don't want to lug thousands of pounds around with me to shoot). So put everything together yesterday, almost. The Forster fitting each had to spend some quality time on my lathe so they would fit in the female fitting. See size does matter.

With that all done, I filled up the Home Depot bucket with some ice and water, plugged in the pump and away we go, almost. Seems to be a good practice to always have wrenches near when first setting up systems for those random air leaks. So I made from ZERO it to 2,000 PSI in the bottle, a few moisture purges, and turned off the pump twice to cool down (55º C back down to 18º C). Wasn't getting much higher and the time was dragging. So I started checking the fittings, bottom of the Tuxing needed some attention, the bleed valves needed to be tightened, etc. etc.

From 2,000 PSI up to 4,400 PSI before I shut her off. Temps seemed to climb pretty quickly.

So what did I learn - Keep all your fittings tight, any small air leak will increase the time it takes to fill. Check your filters after filling and replace (the one right at the compressor that came with the unit had some water and oil accumulated in it.) Be safe, I'll have to make a carriage to have all the parts together, I'd also like to get some shorter hoses to connect the pieces, no sense filling up a hose that will just get emptied.

The tank had 4,400 PSI on it's gauge when I finished and was warm but not hot, I'll check the temp of the tank next time. Once it had cooled down to ambient, I dead headed the hose and check the pressure - 4,000 PSI. So I think we'll be filling slower next time to get a good fill, when I worked in a Dive Shop the tanks would be in water, keeps them cooler and if they let go, a small measure of safety. Maybe some cooling blankets around it next time.

If someone has a plan that can improve what I'm doing, I'm all ears.

Smitty

I had a guy at a paintball shop tell me to put the tank in the fridge for a while to cool the air in it do as it’s getting filled the warm air doesn’t expand too much. It’s supposed to stop some of the pressure drop after being filled too fast or too hot. I did it once and it seemed to work but now I fill my own tanks so it doesn’t matter, I just top it off after it’s cooled. And hopefully your compressor lasts a long time. They’re nice little units for the price if they keep on working. 

If I am filling from zero, done it just twice on new tanks like you have, what I did was keep a bucket of ice handy.....or snow this time of year. I had the "exhaust" hose put the water into another bucket so I would not over fill as I added ice and that seemed to help. I was a little worried about shocking the system but nothing bad happened....so I guess the ice just helped keep the water cool and the temps down for the longer run.

Yea you do need to check for leaks, when I take the moisture filter off for cleaning/drying whatever I always have issues, and bust out the teflon tape.

Hunt4Dinner,

I'm not sure I'm game for that, any residual moisture would probably condense against the side wall, that may happen anyway. I'm wondering how efficient the Tuxing filter is at removing moisture. I'd almost like to make a condensing coil and have it super cold to condense any remaining water and have it vertical to run into a sump. After filling drain the sump. I may talk to my Hydraulics Technicians and ask about bending me up some custom S/S hard lines to hold everything together.

Cherokee,

The fittings on mine seem to be Pipe Thread, I didn't think you used Teflon tape on pipe threads? I know every little bit of air that makes it into the tank reduces wear/tear and run time, so I'll check on that.

This could fall under the heading of "Things in life I never thought I would have to worry about/learn."

Smitty 

Reactions: CmdCtrl
Yeah I’m no expert on filling and like I said I only did it once. I’ve read about people doing the condensing line like you’re talking about but never seen it done. I have 2 of the gold filters, one is just cotton and the other has charcoal and such. I don’t use the cotton one because to me it just doesn’t seem like it would be good at separating moisture. I personally haven’t read anything bad about the charcoal gold filters so I’m assuming they do a good job but I may be wrong. 

Hunt4Dinner,

I'm not sure I'm game for that, any residual moisture would probably condense against the side wall, that may happen anyway. I'm wondering how efficient the Tuxing filter is at removing moisture. I'd almost like to make a condensing coil and have it super cold to condense any remaining water and have it vertical to run into a sump. After filling drain the sump. I may talk to my Hydraulics Technicians and ask about bending me up some custom S/S hard lines to hold everything together.

Cherokee,

The fittings on mine seem to be Pipe Thread, I didn't think you used Teflon tape on pipe threads? I know every little bit of air that makes it into the tank reduces wear/tear and run time, so I'll check on that.

This could fall under the heading of "Things in life I never thought I would have to worry about/learn."

Smitty

I know nothing about plumbing, I really don't know.....but I do know it worked and I am still here?

If there is something not safe or bad about using it I would love to hear.

Had a friend who used a booster pump to fill nitrous oxide tanks for race cars at his track. They always kept the tank being filled in ice. My local FD fills my Great White tank but doesn't cool them in any way. They usually fill pretty slowly and let it sit for a couple of minutes before a final top off but it still loses a bit of pressure as it cools. Seems that the heat/pressure drop is always going to be some amount of issue unless someone takes more time cooling and topping of. Still produces lots of gun fills.