• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Kneeling position - too much lateral movement

Working on my kneeling position and getting too much left to right movement on the target. I’m getting an almost totally left to right and back again movement rather than a figure eight type movement. Vertical stability seems good. Natural point of aim seems good. Tried turning the toes of my left foot inward to lock the knee/ankle without significant improvement. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Working on my kneeling position and getting too much left to right movement on the target. I’m getting an almost totally left to right and back again movement rather than a figure eight type movement. Vertical stability seems good. Natural point of aim seems good. Tried turning the toes of my left foot inward to lock the knee/ankle without significant improvement. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Points #4, #5, #6 in the image at the link below... Support the forward elbow on the meaty part of the triceps, not on the point of the elbow. Tuck the unsupported elbow close into your side so that it picks up lateral stability from your body.

https://www.everydaymarksman.co/marksmanship/kneeling-position/

I hope that's helpful. I'm not that good a marksman anymore.

Check your natural point of aim. Get in position, close your eyes, and get comfortable. Then look and see where you are pointed. Shift that comfortable, natural position around, In one piece, to see target. If you alter the position by moving your aim point right or left you will tend to wobble back and forth.
Good luck with it.

If you’re still stuck, it would help me to see your position.

Greg

/Dennisu,

+1 for getting you natural point of aim right on target. Sometimes we think it's on, but after some closer inspection, see that it's off to one side or the other. In my experience, this has contributed the most to that back and forth movement you are speaking of. 

Also, give that movement some time and see if it settles down. Try not to correct it. If it doesn't settle down, check your natural point aim. 

Let's see some targets in this week's postal match!

Chas

If I try to support the gun off my elbow, I get some of that lateral wobble. Try a tighter position with your support arm (forearm behind your wrist) resting on your thigh/knee.

04148A0B-20B2-4551-A15C-8CAF2CD0B612.1608144313.png

First off, thanks everyone for taking the time to read the post and comment. I really appreciate it.

I have been working on the position today trying the above suggestions. I started by working on my foot/leg position. I tried moving my left foot farther forward and opening the distance between the left foot and right knee. Seems like moving the left foot forward 4-5 inches and increasing the distance between the left foot and right knee about 2 inches significantly decreases my lateral movement on target. Next I tried adjusting my support arm on my left thigh without much change in lateral movement. I then tried increasing and decreasing the tension of my single point sling without much change in lateral movement. Lastly, I took another look at my natural point of aim which is a little different now that I have made some changes to my foot/leg position.

Overall, lateral movement seems to be significantly decreased but I now need to do some additional work on my natural point of aim and refining my foot/leg position.

Thanks again for helping me sort this out,

Dennis