Kinda weird here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'da probably got the Ducatti instead. Or maybe you have one of those too. Nice collection. Do you hunt with them?

Why on earth would you get a Ducatti? A moped, or hell, even a pedal bicycle will work just fine. I'm with you here, it makes little sense for someone to purchase an expensive PCP rifle for a hobby they enjoy when they can easily spend all day breaking a barrel open manually to charge it. What are your thoughts on the Gamo Urban PCP is that considered also living a life of excess? Are there any other groups here that we could also negatively judge for spending their earned money as they wish? Idea -- lets go after the folks who use a compressor instead of a hand pump that opens up an entire new class of folks that you can begin attacking. You'll be able to steer the conversation entirely to break-barrels and how they are the panacea of this hobby.

The op went about this all wrong, but he is right. I see this on all forums, be it airguns, photography, bicycling, or woodworking. I have experienced this myself. Getting back into airguns my first rifle was a Gamo Raptor Whisper. It was dieseling like crazy so I googled it and found an airgun forum. When I asked why it was so loud, I was instructed to "throw it in the creek and get a real airgun" by the first member to respond. Others told me what was happening and how to prep a new gun. The gun was very accurate after following their advice and later a friend begged me to sell it him.

My take was the first member had a very bad experience with Gamo and was still upset, so I ignored the post. Had I taken it personally, I may not be on that forum today.

We are passionate about our hobbies, and sometimes too opinionated. We need to remember we are a diverse group of people and everyone of us has different wants and needs from an airgun.

Right!? Second post by OP and already spitting acid -- https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/newly-obsessed-member-of-airgunnation/#post-688405

Maybe it's just some powder burner vs airgun little man syndrome? Maybe OP thinks everyone here doesn't own powder burners? Who knows... the world is a weird place and some people are just trolls and others are self-righteous "solutionists".

I started off with a Gamo Urban, don't recall ever getting some sass about it.

1587825980_18140978695ea44d3c2c4d24.15908435.JPG

Very bad experience with Gamo ??? LOL....5 shots ,15 yards, Gamo Whisper Fusion 22 cal.:)

In all honesty, and this’ll be my only post on this tread, is I get tired of folks getting on here questioning reasons for expenditure choices. I’m sure a lot of you are, and can’t help by getting sucked in to these stupid a$$ discussions, trying to convince the OP to think like you think they should think. 

I think we should just have a general generic reply to treads that start off like this and just say “you don’t belong here”. 

Understand im all about the new guys that start treads with “first PCP, need guidance”, but to start a tread questioning why spend XX amount of dollars for a target gun when a half an X could’ve done the same, well, you don’t belong here would be my reply.

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
MA,

One of the most fun times I've had with an air rifle was with a refurbished $19.99 RedRyder BB gun in fast paced man against man/ or team against team, competitions. We were all required to shoot only RR's, and at this Christmas party the object was to push water bottles, or pop cans, or shotgun shell hulls, off the edge of the concrete which was 30 feet away from the shooters. It was funny because it highly depended on where the BB's hit, and the orientation of these targets, as to which direction and velocity they'd go. We laughed for hours because it would seem one team would have a sure win but the other would hit the object just right and send the target flying/rolling off the edge of the concrete. Those targets do all sorts of """weird things""", lol. Yes that was a light hearted and funny jab made in good humor.

Anyway it wasn't my intent to offend you, although the way I wrote my reply could be considered offensive, so I apologize. I was hoping to save you some pain, that's all. That being said I was totally telling the truth about people I've personally met disliking their Gamo's. The last guy, a neighbor working on his retirement home, and a guy I was beginning to have a friendship with, came over one day asking which PCP to buy. I gave my advice to him. I didn't hear back from him for months so I asked another neighbor if they'd heard from him. Turns out he had died!!! I was upset for weeks.

I had a Gamo CFX that was a decent rifle but that was 20 years ago and I think that rifle might have been a rebranded BSA.

Back to "intent". If one plans on winning the Olympics that person is going to pick the correct tool for the job that'll give them the highest chance of completing that goal, that tool will usually cost $$$$. If one wants to plink in their backyard and doesn't want to spend more than $150 then a Gamo is an alternative, but Gamo is not the only alternative, right?! 

Your intent might be to have a large assortment of less expensive airguns, that's you, but it's everyone's/anyone's prerogative to be who they are, whether that is perceived as pretentious or not. The deflection game tactic you used (word pretentious and other belittling ways) is easy to for us to see happening here. Your feelings were hurt and you reacted in anger. 

But hey, I like to read some gun drama here and there, and seeing all those personalities reacting can be entertaining.

Oh the weirdness, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.