• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin Killing Tree Prod

When I bought my current home in 2013 it had one large oak tree on one side of the back yard and 6 on the other side. Squirrels would normally go up the one tree and sometimes jump to the closest tree on the other side while up in the trees. For 7 years I killed a bunch of squirrels out of that one tree. Sometimes I got on from the trees on the other side but the one tree, I called it my killing tree, was the primary location of squirrels when I shot them. My Prod was my main airgun during the time that tree was alive. It's killed 15 squirrels, most of them out of that tree. My Avenger also got one and my P35-25 got many of it's 18 out of that tree. I'll include a sunset picture of the live tree and a picture of my then 3 year old grand daughter standing beside the tree after it fell.

It fell mainly into my neighbors yard and I hired a tree service to get rid of it but asked them to leave what was left of the stump. I cut that up into slabs that I then dried. First I used a piece to make a buttstock. Then I made grips. Last week the 2 inch thick piece I wanted for the forend was down to about 8 per cent moisture content and I made the forend completing the stock. Because it came from the stump of a dying tree the wood is highly figured and there is some spalting. That is the white areas although not all the very light colored wood is spalted.

Killing Tree 1.jpg

Killing Tree 2.jpg

Prod 1.jpg

Prod 2.jpg

Prod forend bottom.jpg

Prod grip detail.jpg

Prod forend detail.jpg

The buttstock is an aluminum tube I had laying in my scrap pile, I think it came from a boat cover support. On the "gun" end there is a fine thread bolt, I think it's 5/16, epoxied into a plywood washer which is epoxied into the tube. On the other end, there is a 1/4 T nut affixed the same way to attach the wooden butt pad. It works that way but the butt pad wants to rotate so I put a couple 1/16 thick pieces of wire across the joint so it doesn't rotate. I added a piece of PVC tubing to raise the part I rest my cheek on a little and covered the tube with some fake carbon fiber film. It still will rotate at the gun end but that is OK, it allows me to take it off if I want to transport it that way. I just screw it in hand tight and it doesn't usually rotate until I want it to. I put a hole in the 5/16 bolt to allow any air that leaks out to escape but I don't think that is necessary. It's lighter and works better than the plastic stock it came with.

I also made an adjustable length version - I can remove sections of the tube - for my grandkids who need a shorter length of pull.