• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Killed it today! Broke another personal record

I setup my MKII late last week to shoot 25 cal, I had heard some people praising the 38.5 and 43.5 grain NSAs - so I got a bunch to test out. 

At first, I was about to use my FX magazine as target practice, I was not only having a hell of a time trying to fine tune the rifle - but just getting it the mag to cycle correctly was a challenge in itself!!!! Not cool at all 👎

I finally get hole-in-hole groups going at my close 34 meter target with the 43.5's, so I set out to gather BC data out to my next target ranged at 98m. Velocity was 945-950fps. The groups were pathetic. I decided to stick with 98m and tweak the settings until they tightened up. Waste a couple of mags, until I got rid of the (WILD) flyers, cleaned my barrel after each mag (already polished, in the process of breaking it in), until I had consistent ~1.5-2" groups.

I gather velocities from my Lab Radar and calculated quick and dirty BC data for Strelok. My next objective was an 8" steel target that I strung up out to 244m. As usual, the dirty math had Strelok give me overly conservative firing solutions that were off by ~1.4 MILs. I fired one a little high, corrected and hit 6 out if 6 afterwards. I got bored instantly.

Fast forward a few hours - I had other guns with me that I needed to zero and test. Just as I'm considering calling it a day, I realize that someone had setup and left a ghetto plywood silhouette target out at the top of the hill where I was shooting. Right next to the target was a long tree stump, where there was a couple of small orange clay pigeons setup on it. I grab my range finder and saw that it was 364 meters from my spot. I said what the hell, and figured this would be a fun challenge with this 25 cal configuration!

I punched in 364m and the 3 degree inclination into Strelok, it tells me that I need close to 30 MILs for the shot 😂. My NX8 4-32 only has 26 and change total, but my scope sits on EagleVision rings and I them configured to provide 25 🤘

In the end, I wound up nicking it towards the end of the first mag, and then I nailed it center mass about 1/2 way through the second mag. This shot was HARD, I had almost no visual clues for shot correction given the way it was setup on the big tree stump. It was fun and I was pretty stoked afterwards.

On the long drive home, I did the math and realized that was 398 yards... almost 400!!! Pretty crazy to me that an a small bore airgun can nail a little ~3-4" target from that far out with a little effort. I think 25 cal has a future with my MKII now, more motivation to get this 30" .250 TJ barrel setup for it.

I'll upload photos and videos soon. Get out there and shoot something AGN! 😎

I have the same gun. Shooting NSA 29 at 200 yards at a some of those smaller clays. I’m still tuning and testing to find the best slugs and settings.

I could place shoots close most every time and occasionally hit the clay bird . Maybe once in seven or eight shots. 

This tells me I’m potentially heading in the right direction. MAYBE 

I don’t mean to be critical but my FX mag holds 26 pellets or slugs so it you shoot a lot mag and a half that’s 40 shots and you hit your target once is it anything more then luck?

Like many others I’ve watch with great interest pigeons being taken at 300 yards and I bought the FX impart to stretch out there but so far I’m not seeing that the gun is a 200 yard shooter let alone 300 or further . I’m not saying it’s not but let’s just say I’m at this point skeptical. I will say it’s the best shooter at 100 of all the PCP’s that I own .. 

i guess we all may have our own goals but pigeons typicality give you no more one or two try’s and the laws of physics are in play so at 300 yards you need to be able to shoot a two inch or smaller group. I can’t do it and I haven’t seen anyone else claim they can either.

I hope it’s possible and that some one can assist me in my quest. Or at least get me on target consistently at 200. That would enough to satisfy this old guy.

If I need to shoot 400 if got other tools

Just trying to keep things some what real. No offense intended hope none taken 

@bubblerboy64 - you have a good question and point in your reply. What I confirmed from yesterday's exercise was the rifle in this configuration is, at least a 300 yard gun - probably even 325. What I mean by that - hitting a target under 6" is trivial. 

After I shot the clay - I ran out of 43.5gr and shot a few mags of 38.5 grain a little ways off to the side of where the clay was setup, right around 368-370m. There was a patch of dirt with a dead / decaying tree, where I could clearly see POI. Taking the same POA, the impacts were around 18-24" from one another. Wind had picked up from 5-8mph from my 4 o'clock at that time (it was 2-5mph when I shot the clay). The 38.5's didn't hold together as well as the 43.5's, but I also hadn't spent nearly as much time tuning and testing them as I did the heavier ones.

@stoti - 40cc (Ernest) plenum, 7gram brass hammer weight, milled block / inlet / probe, unmodified one-piece VS/housing.

Thanks brother!!! That's what I was guessing. I knew you had to have done quite a bit to get that velocity. FX still has my Impact and will let me know what's going on this week. That major leak coming out the valve is a tough one to find apparently? The one piece valve housing/valve is going in my gun but they have been out of stock and had to get one shipped from Sweden. I'm getting impatient! Have a good one. Stoti

Thanks brother!!! That's what I was guessing. I knew you had to have done quite a bit to get that velocity. FX still has my Impact and will let me know what's going on this week. That major leak coming out the valve is a tough one to find apparently? The one piece valve housing/valve is going in my gun but they have been out of stock and had to get one shipped from Sweden. I'm getting impatient! Have a good one. Stoti

Ugh! I'm waiting for them to get them too, I didn't want to risk it getting s rewed up during VS milling - but I'm just going to have a machine shop do it for me. I'm sure you'll be on the priority list for one though. Hoping you get it back soon man!

@JimNM - Thanks! They certainly aren't 😎

@kohersh - 400y is within reach. I'm going to do one final round of mods to the rifle, and then throw on the 30" barrels to see if 25 ca can hang with 30 cal out that far. D-RIG has some snazzy new 62 grainers that just look like they have extraordinary BCs. I have some to test, hopefully next weekend I'll be able to drive out to a different area that has 3000y of open range in the Cascade hills.

Nice shooting bro. I have not yet been able to get past 360 i think it was with our 25s. Our thirty seems to be a 400 yard gun but i havent tried past 365 yet (limited at work to like 370).

keep singing em love reading your posts.

@bubblerboy64- you are going to need heavier projectiles to stretch it. Our 25s love nielsen 36 grainers. The gun can shoot them well but at long range its all about that wind call. The place where preparation and luck collide. Ya know, like a pellet at 100 lol

Nice shooting bro. I have not yet been able to get past 360 i think it was with our 25s. Our thirty seems to be a 400 yard gun but i havent tried past 365 yet (limited at work to like 370).

keep singing em love reading your posts.

@bubblerboy64- you are going to need heavier projectiles to stretch it. Our 25s love nielsen 36 grainers. The gun can shoot them well but at long range its all about that wind call. The place where preparation and luck collide. Ya know, like a pellet at 100 lol

Thanks Keith! I think you're absolutely right about it in 30 cal. I only had a brief opportunity to stretch them out about the same distance as you, and they just dropped right where I wanted them to one after another.

As far as off the shelf 30 cal ammo for long range, the ones that I'm most hopeful for are Nick's 66gr D-RIG's new 62 grainers (Dale has a new option for BHN 7, that would be better suited for TJ barrels, but also has them in soft lead - which is probably better for FX liners). The only problem with the 62's is that they're just a little too long for the mag lol. The 66's OTOH come in right at the maximum size that the FX mags can cycle. Both have fantastic BCs for what they are.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it was a blessing or a curse testing out 25 cal. I saw sooo much potential in that one target shooting session, but I really want my MKII build dedicated to a single caliber and projectile. Especially this time of year, the weather is just plain nasty and the days get REALLY short on daylight. I just want to be able to drive the hour and a half to my spot, and not have to spend a bunch if time re-tuning 😂 A man has to become one with his rifle, I just find that tough switching between calibers and ammo all the time 🙃