• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Kill zone hole size and target distance

Sorry if this has been asked and answered here before, but my google-fu is weak... I am trying to understand the relationship between the target hole size (kz) and the target distances in a match.

I have been practicing my off hand shooting and just picked up an Air Venturi "rat on the run" target to begin getting used to shooting this type of target. I'm hoping to try my hand at some local field target competitions next year. Does the match host follow any sort of guidelines that prescribe what size Kill Zone is spaced at any given distance?

Any input on how this works and how I might be able to use this target to practice how these are set up in a match would be most appreciated!

EDIT - good old Wikipedia helped me answer this. Does this sound right? And yeah, these are some pretty wide ranges! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_target

The target kill zones have three standardised sizes, which are 15 mm (placed between 12-23 m), 25 mm (placed between 7-37 m) or 40 mm (placed between 7-42 m).

Screenshot_20201022-123832_Drive.1603395542.jpg
this is a screenshot taken from the aafta handbook on AAFTA.ORG

FYI, don’t be surprised if you run into some KZ/distance combinations that don’t adhere to AAFTA Grand Prix rules (listed above). Most local club matches are not an AAFTA Grand Prix event and are not obligated to follow those rules. They’re definitely a great guideline and they keep the matches fair. But the KZ/distance combinations are at the discretion of the match directors. They’re also good guidelines for you to use when practicing. If you want to get really good, practice on one size smaller than allowed KZ for the distance and then every shot that follows the rules will seem easier. 

Thanks for the info on this guys. I have been practicing shooting from different seated position with my rws 34. And this has truly been a humbling experience! 

My thoughts are to work through at least a tin of pellets trying to find and get comfortable in this position. On average I'm able to knock down the target (medium KZ which is just under an inch) about 6 out of 10 shots at 25 yards. I have found it helpful alternating between shooting at the target and then shooting at paper at the same distance to see what shape my groups are taking. It's all good fun!

It's just getting challenging doing this as the average temperature is now dropping into the 40s and sometimes 30s.

Oh, here's the rat target I have been using:

PXL_20201031_213007554.1605545848.jpg