• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Kicking an old tool cart

I've been kicking this old rolling tool cart around in my shop for ten years and I've threatened many times to chunk it out the door but now I finally made something useful out of it. This setup does a fantastic job cooling and it's all sealed and self contained so my coolant doesn't get contaminated and I dont have to fool with ice or water buckets. My filtration will go on the bottom shelf. 
20210630_192622.1625096224.jpg
20210630_192549.1625096225.jpg
20210630_192519.1625096226.jpg
20210630_192501.1625096227.jpg

Daddyrabbit,

A very impressive setup, gave that old cart a whole new lease on life. Have you considered one of those long, gold aluminum bio filters? They say these work great at keeping water/oil out of guns. Got one on Ebay for $60 few weeks ago, came with two plastic inserts (one is spare) filled with drying beads, cotton and charcoal. My Yong Heng is on Rubbermaid 5 shelf rack next to laundry sink. Cable tied 12" gold filter on vertical post, next to compressor. Hose, with black filter, snaps on male foster on bottom of gold filter. Gun, to be filled, sits on next shelf above. On top of gold filter, female foster has another black (borrowed from hand pump) filter installed, then another hose to gun. I dare any moisture to get up those filters to gun!

WM

I got all the parts on ebay. The oil cooler with 10 inch fan was $48.00. The high flow fuel pump was $32.00. The aluminum reservoir was $25.00. The Hatsan 12 volt power supply was $70.00. All these had free shipping. The aluminum radiator antifreeze with corrosion protection was $35.00 at Napa auto parts. $175.00 plus wire, two toggle switches for fan and pump and hoses puts it about $200.00 total then my new filter is gonna be about $75.00 more.

Great set up there but were it me I would have put all of that on the bottom shelf and just run the air through filters standing up on the sides to the top. Then put my tanks and guns being filled on top. You always want your filters and tanks above your compressor to help keep the moisture out of them. Safety wise it would be good to have the weight on the bottom also so it doesn't get tipped over so easy when moving it around.

Daddyrabbit

Look at Bio's set-up and you can see where my ideas came from. See the two small filters on the ends of the long gold one? If the second row of boxes were removed and the Yong Heng, minus radiator, slid in, then add laundry sink where wall is at end of rack, that's my set-up. Five gallon bucket goes in laundry sink and hoses reach perfectly. I use open FX gun case on shelf where Bio's tank is to lay gun in for filling. FX gun cases are stored normally at back of that shelf anyway.

WM

Great set up there but were it me I would have put all of that on the bottom shelf and just run the air through filters standing up on the sides to the top. Then put my tanks and guns being filled on top. You always want your filters and tanks above your compressor to help keep the moisture out of them. Safety wise it would be good to have the weight on the bottom also so it doesn't get tipped over so easy when moving it around.

I had thought about putting the filter system above the compressor but the reason I chose to put the compressor on high ground was to make it easier for the moisture to make it's way out of the compressor and into the filtration system. My thinking was if moisture congregates in the compressor there's bound to be corrosion or other problems in the check valves and hose fittings down the road.

I sure do like the "closed system" for the coolant really a clean setup. How long have you run the compressor and at what temperature.

ThomasT

I haven't filled any big tanks. I just use it to fill my gun and the highest the temp has gotten is around 130 F. When I decided on a pump I went with high pressure instead of high volume because of the flow ports in the head being so small. This pump is currently pumping 92 psi through the head port and it circulates the coolant so fast that it creates a vortex in the reservoir so I may have to put a regulator on the pump to slow the flow some but it's done a jam up job so far.

ThomasT

I only have a couple of hours on it since I added the fans, radiator and larger 3.5 - 4gal reservoir. Temps seem to top out at around 57C at the end of my topping my two tanks off, to around 4100 - 4200psi,so about 15 minutes 20 at the most.

If your running your system for 15 to 20 minutes at a time and only reaching 57C then I'd say you have a very efficient set up.

I had thought about putting the filter system above the compressor but the reason I chose to put the compressor on high ground was to make it easier for the moisture to make it's way out of the compressor and into the filtration system. My thinking was if moisture congregates in the compressor there's bound to be corrosion or other problems in the check valves and hose fittings down the road.

That is what the purge valves are all about to purge the water from the system. I purge, for a couple of seconds, every five minutes or so when the compressor is in use and change out the YH filter every twenty. I set them aside to dry and use them over again. Because of this my Gold filter cartridge has lasted a full year. My compressor is two years old now and has about 25 hours on it. I just recently cleaned the check valve out although I have replaced the o-ring on it twice thus far.

From all I have read and the diagrams I have seen compressor filters should be installed above the compressor to keep the water that coalesces in the lines from reaching them otherwise they will be saturated and ruined and pass the water on to your tanks. That is also the reason they are oriented vertically and not horizontally. The filters are not made to collect that much moisture. 

If you have too much water getting to your filters a separate water separator should take care of that.

I sure do like the "closed system" for the coolant really a clean setup. How long have you run the compressor and at what temperature.

ThomasT

I haven't filled any big tanks. I just use it to fill my gun and the highest the temp has gotten is around 130 F. When I decided on a pump I went with high pressure instead of high volume because of the flow ports in the head being so small. This pump is currently pumping 92 psi through the head port and it circulates the coolant so fast that it creates a vortex in the reservoir so I may have to put a regulator on the pump to slow the flow some but it's done a jam up job so far.

Hello daddyrabbit,

I agree that a lower volume would most likely work just as good. The little pump that comes with the Yong Heng is a low volume and that is what I am currently using. I have not run my "new" system other than to test everything but will give it a work out as soon as my other fitting arrive.

Thank you and have a great day,

ThomasT