• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

keeping twist rates a secret. companeys do.

why do the air gun makers keep twist rates a secret. seem fx with the crown is the only companey out there thats giving customers what they want when it comes to twist rates.

so why this mystery when it comes to 99% of airgun makers with reguards to twist rates. 
hopefully the fx crown will make companeys realise that keeping secrets from the buying puplic as reguards to accuracy is not giving us. the educated buying public from what they want.
twist rates are the key to accuracy at longer ranges and us airgunners are shooting at longer and longer ranges. and it seems to me that most barrels over stablise
can any of you guys on here chime in on this one and your thoughts.

I wonder how important of feature they thought it was and maybe during R&D, engineering, and manufacuring it just did not make it into the commonly conveyed specs. Bewteen AoA, PA, and AGD, everytime they do a review, they could measure, otherwise they should be able to get that imformation.

There has been a cpnversation surrounding this over stablization on probably every forum, so you are not alone. Was also intersting to see what they did with pellet barrel selection at American Air Arms for the new EVOL .30, a 1:42 and a suspected 1:32 for the .25cal. Unlike the Slayer, these are designed to shoot primarily diablo or similar. I do not recall if Michael Thomas shared his barrel specs on .22 for shooting the heavy pellets. But I agree,should be a standard spec, though it is not a standard in caliber it seems and there is a long way to go. 

Although there is a lot of discussion about twist rates and pellets being over stablized I haven't read many good explanations of exactly what "over stablization "is?
I suppose educating people about twist rates is now in FX's interest as it will be aiming to sell more of there barrel liners. 
Every manufacturer wants to have an "edge" when trying to sell there product. Secret twist rates and other barrel work is often just that. 
Also in the past it would have meant quite an investment in R&D that they would feel reluctant to share with other manufacturers. 
It will be really interesting now FX has made it easier to experiment with different twist rates what comes out of that. 

Airsupply-- re. overstabilization:

A fired projectile follows a parabolic path. Ideally, the projectile will be end on to the path at each point along the curve, else it will see 'side' wind. An overstabilized projectile will keep its fired orientation too much. With optimum stabilization, just enough orientation will be lost to let the bullet steer into the parabola in response to the side wind.